* No smarter way than fetching every 5min ?
@ 2005-01-04 10:55 François Fleuret
       [not found] ` <u7jmtmigu.fsf@signature.for.email.address>
From: François Fleuret @ 2005-01-04 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

This is slightly remote to gnus but ...

My current setting is that fetchmail gets the mails every 5min from
the servers and gives them to exim, who drops them wherever they are
supposed to be dropped. Gnus gets them from those files like if they
were in /var/spool/mail.

But I suddenly start to wonder ... There is no smarter way to do that
? Like for instance fetchmail keeping a live connection to the server
and getting a notice when new mail arrives ? I have the feeling it has
to be possible ...

Cheers,

--
François Fleuret

* Re: No smarter way than fetching every 5min ?
       [not found] ` <u7jmtmigu.fsf@signature.for.email.address>
@ 2005-01-04 15:10   ` Andreas Rottmann
From: Andreas Rottmann @ 2005-01-04 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Francis Litterio <see@signature.for.email.address> writes:

> François Fleuret wrote:
>
>> But I suddenly start to wonder ... There is no smarter way to do that
>> ? Like for instance fetchmail keeping a live connection to the server
>> and getting a notice when new mail arrives ? I have the feeling it has
>> to be possible ...
>
> I suspect that configuring fetchmail to check for mail every 30 seconds
> would appear very similar to such a "server push" mechanism.

Well, don't know if your ISP/mail hoster will be delighted if every
user does this ;)

Cheers, Rotty
--
Andreas Rottmann         | Rotty@ICQ      | 118634484@ICQ | a.rottmann@gmx.at

Latein ist das humanoide Äquivalent zu Fortran.
   -- Alexander Bartolich in at.linux