* Retrieve thread URL from Gnus
@ 2022-03-22 14:38 André A. Gomes
From: André A. Gomes @ 2022-03-22 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

I found the following link in a project I'm working on.  However, it
doesn't work.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.clisp.devel/20429

I was able to find the thread on gnus using gwene.  You can find the
org-link below.

[[gnus:nntp+gwene-ephemeral:gmane.lisp.clisp.devel#874otj5tlq.fsf@freebits.de][Email
from Tobias C. Rittweiler: Thread issues]]

Is it possible to retrieve a URL associated with it?  Thank you.

--
André A. Gomes
"Free Thought, Free World"

* Re: Retrieve thread URL from Gnus
@ 2022-03-22 17:13 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2022-03-22 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

André writes:

> Is it possible to retrieve a URL associated with it?  Thank you.

No, Gmane no longer provides web-access to articles.

You can fetch it via nntp, however:

    $ telnet news.gmane.io nntp
    Trying 116.202.254.214...
    Connected to ciao.gmane.io.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    200 news.gmane.io InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.6.3 ready (posting ok)
    mode reader
    200 news.gmane.io InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.6.3 ready (posting ok)
    group gmane.lisp.clisp.devel
    211 22174 2047 24229 gmane.lisp.clisp.devel
    article 20429
    220 20429 <874otj5tlq.fsf@freebits.de> article
    From: "Tobias C. Rittweiler" <tcr@freebits.de>
    Newsgroups: gmane.lisp.clisp.devel
    Subject: Thread issues
    Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 13:47:45 +0200
    To: clisp-devel@lists.sourceforge.net

    I tried to use the new thread interface in Clisp's SWANK backend, and I
    have come across a few minor issues, and one serious bug:

      * The lock-related functions are consistently called MUTEX-foo, but
        the macro to grab a mutex is called WITH-LOCK.

      * I don't like that (thread-name (make-thread #'(lambda ()))) returns
        #<UNBOUND>, as you cannot use (or (thread-name ...) "SOME-DEFAULT")
        this way.

      * I think the default print-object method specializing on threads
        should print whether the thread is currently running, or has been
        stopped.

    Now to a much more serious issue:

      * If I run the file below, clisp exits with "Aborted". I'm on
        Linux-x86/32, compiled clisp from CVS four hours ago. Have threads
        and weak-hashtables been tested?

      -T.

    PS.

    (defvar *thread-plist-table-lock*
      (mp:make-mutex :name "THREAD-PLIST-TABLE-LOCK"))

    (defvar *thread-plist-table* (make-hash-table :weak :key)
      "A hashtable mapping threads to a plist.")

    (defvar *thread-id-counter* 0)

    (defun thread-id (thread)
      (mp:with-lock (*thread-plist-table-lock*)
        (or (getf (gethash thread *thread-plist-table*) 'thread-id)
            (setf (getf (gethash thread *thread-plist-table*) 'thread-id)
                  (incf *thread-id-counter*)))))

    (defvar *thread* (make-thread (lambda () (loop (sleep 1)))))

    (thread-id *thread*)

    (thread-interrupt *thread* :function t)

    (setq *thread* nil)

    (gc)

    .
    quit
    205 Bye!
    Connection closed by foreign host.
    $

If you need a web-URL your best bet is the mailing list archives on
lists.sourceforge.net.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I don't know! There's never a wrong idea in the           Adam Sjøgren
  brainstorming phase."                                asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Retrieve thread URL from Gnus
@ 2022-03-22 19:09   ` André A. Gomes
From: André A. Gomes @ 2022-03-22 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

> André writes:
>
>> Is it possible to retrieve a URL associated with it?  Thank you.
>
> No, Gmane no longer provides web-access to articles.
>
> You can fetch it via nntp, however:
>
>     $ telnet news.gmane.io nntp

[...]

I didn't know that.  Thank you!

--

@ 2022-03-22 19:15     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2022-03-22 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

André writes:

>> You can fetch it via nntp, however:
>>
>>     $ telnet news.gmane.io nntp
>
> [...]
>
> I didn't know that.  Thank you!

You're welcome. With Gnus you can skip all the telnetting-like-a-caveman
stuff, of course :-)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--

@ 2022-03-23 13:58       ` Roland Winkler
From: Roland Winkler @ 2022-03-23 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, Mar 22 2022, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
> You're welcome. With Gnus you can skip all the telnetting-like-a-caveman
> stuff, of course :-)

I am fairly new to Gnus and your caveman-like approach came very handy
when yesterday I needed to look at an old message for which I only knew
the article number on the gmane server (the line "article 20429" in your
example telnet session).  What is the equivalent command in Gnus?

Thanks!

* Re: Retrieve thread URL from Gnus
@ 2022-03-23 14:44         ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2022-03-23 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Roland writes:

> I am fairly new to Gnus and your caveman-like approach came very handy
> when yesterday I needed to look at an old message for which I only knew
> the article number on the gmane server (the line "article 20429" in your
> example telnet session).

It is very handy to know a couple of nntp commands in a pinch! :-)

> What is the equivalent command in Gnus?

The equivalent is:

 a) Open the news.gmane.io server: in the Group buffer press B RET (for
    nntp) and enter news.gmane.io
 b) Find the group gmane.lisp.clisp.devel and enter it (press RET with
    point on the line)
 c) Jump to article number: press j and enter the article number

If you want to see the entire thread, you can press A T to have the
other articles in the thread inserted into the *Summary* buffer.

If you find it convenient to read news (i.e. mailing lists) via gmane,
you can set it up as a permanent server in your Gnus configuration
(gnus-secondary-methods) and subscribe to the groups you like to read.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Archbishop of anarchy"                                    Adam Sjøgren
                                                       asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Retrieve thread URL from Gnus
@ 2022-03-23 15:14           ` Roland Winkler
From: Roland Winkler @ 2022-03-23 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Wed, Mar 23 2022, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
> The equivalent is:
>
>  a) Open the news.gmane.io server: in the Group buffer press B RET (for
>     nntp) and enter news.gmane.io
>  b) Find the group gmane.lisp.clisp.devel and enter it (press RET with
>     point on the line)
>  c) Jump to article number: press j and enter the article number
>
> If you want to see the entire thread, you can press A T to have the
> other articles in the thread inserted into the *Summary* buffer.
>
> If you find it convenient to read news (i.e. mailing lists) via gmane,
> you can set it up as a permanent server in your Gnus configuration
> (gnus-secondary-methods) and subscribe to the groups you like to read.

Thanks, yes, I just realized that yesterday I fooled myself.  I am
already reading news via gnus, but yesterday I messed up from which
group I was looking for an old article.  Then I got confused that gnus
article numbers did not match what I was expecting to get and what I did
get as expected in the telnet session.  Entirely my fault!

But you are right: sometimes it is fun to go back to the basics and live
like a caveman!

* Re: Retrieve thread URL from Gnus
@ 2022-03-24 14:42     ` Byung-Hee HWANG
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2022-03-24 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

André A. Gomes <andremegafone@gmail.com> writes:

> Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:
>
>> André writes:
>>
>>> Is it possible to retrieve a URL associated with it?  Thank you.
>>
>> No, Gmane no longer provides web-access to articles.
>>
>> You can fetch it via nntp, however:
>>
>>     $ telnet news.gmane.io nntp
>
> [...]
>
> I didn't know that.  Thank you!

+1; Thanks Adam ^^^

Sincerely, Gnus fan Byung-Hee

--
^고맙습니다 _白衣從軍_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: Retrieve thread URL from Gnus
@ 2022-04-29  8:38   ` TRS-80
From: TRS-80 @ 2022-04-29  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

> If you need a web-URL your best bet is the mailing list archives on
> lists.sourceforge.net.

In this case, I would agree, as (looking at the email) those are the
official project resources.  Which I would think should make a more
stable archival URL to link to.  Probably whatever the official project
archives are, generally, I would say should be your best bet.

For other cases (and future reference), I learned recently there are
actually several websites where you can search/link to URLs by
Message-ID, listed on that Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message-ID

Then there are also some public-inbox instances around, I know of at
least one private one with pretty good coverage of a few lists I care
about (including this one).  And Org Mode have an official one (maybe
some other projects, too).

Cheers,
TRS-80