* How to do you manage Threads, your inbox, your sent folder, your archive
@ 2021-12-20 23:58 dal-blazej
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: dal-blazej @ 2021-12-20 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english; +Cc: dal-blazej

Hi,

I was reading :
https://libredd.it/r/emacs/comments/rhxfqx/threaded_and_syncced_emails_with_gnus_how_can_i/

I come from mu4e. With mu4e I never had to worry about threads, I could
enable or disable their display with a keybinding and that's was
it. Simpler times without sieve and dovecot.

With gnus, I am a bit confuse.

We have the variable `gnus-message-archive-method' and
`gnus-message-archive-group' to archive sent mails.

We have also `gnus-posting-styles' to fill headers when composing a
mail, to eg, CC, BCC or GCC (what does exactly means GCC?), eventually
to myself or one of my folders.

Then we can set `gnus-parameters' to `gcc-self' for some groups (but
here I am lost).

In top of that if you use gmane.io, as another secondary method than you
imap/pop mail server, you eventually have to tweak
`gnus-refer-thread-use-search' to t and `gnus-refer-article-method' to
(something ?) to be able to retrieve your threads between back-ends.

Is it possible to archive the whole threads of whom I initiate/reply ?

What do you do with all theses variables ?

For reference in my excursion in gnus, I read the dotfiles of jao and
jwiegley, if you'are kind enough to share yours, thank's you.

* Re: How to do you manage Threads, your inbox, your sent folder, your archive
@ 2021-12-21  0:18 ` Emanuel Berg via Announcements and discussions for GNUS, the GNU Emacs Usenet newsreader (in English)
From: Emanuel Berg via Announcements and discussions for GNUS, the GNU Emacs Usenet newsreader (in English) @ 2021-12-21  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

dal-blazej wrote:

> Is it possible to archive the whole threads of whom
> I initiate/reply ?

Possible!

> What do you do with all theses variables?

Well, what do you want to do?

https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/gnus/

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: How to do you manage Threads, your inbox, your sent folder, your archive
@ 2021-12-22 23:04 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-12-22 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

dal-blazej@onenetbeyond.org writes:

> Hi,
>
> I was reading :
> https://libredd.it/r/emacs/comments/rhxfqx/threaded_and_syncced_emails_with_gnus_how_can_i/
>
> I come from mu4e. With mu4e I never had to worry about threads, I could
> enable or disable their display with a keybinding and that's was
> it. Simpler times without sieve and dovecot.
>
> With gnus, I am a bit confuse.
>
> We have the variable `gnus-message-archive-method' and
> `gnus-message-archive-group' to archive sent mails.
>
> We have also `gnus-posting-styles' to fill headers when composing a
> mail, to eg, CC, BCC or GCC (what does exactly means GCC?), eventually
> to myself or one of my folders.
>
> Then we can set `gnus-parameters' to `gcc-self' for some groups (but
> here I am lost).
>
> In top of that if you use gmane.io, as another secondary method than you
> imap/pop mail server, you eventually have to tweak
> `gnus-refer-thread-use-search' to t and `gnus-refer-article-method' to
> (something ?) to be able to retrieve your threads between back-ends.
>
> Is it possible to archive the whole threads of whom I initiate/reply ?
>
> What do you do with all theses variables ?
>
> For reference in my excursion in gnus, I read the dotfiles of jao and
> jwiegley, if you'are kind enough to share yours, thank's you.

It's hard to tell exactly what you're asking here: threads and archiving
are completely separate concerns. I'm not sure what you mean by
"archiving the whole threads".

Archiving says what to do with your sent messages. By default, the
`gnus-message-archive-method' and `gnus-message-archive-group' options
will be combined to indicate where your sent messages should go. If any
outgoing message has a GCC header, the sent message will be saved to
that method+group instead, and the previous two options will be ignored.

That's about sent messages.

Threads... are just threads. You can toggle thread display with C-M-t.

Are you asking about including your sent messages in the thread display?
If you set `gnus-refer-thread-use-search' to t, Gnus will look in all
groups in the current server for messages that belong to this thread,
and pull them in.

Your archive server will be different from gmane.io, but if you use "A
T" in a gmane group, your own messages to the thread will also be
fetched (from gmane, not from your archive server), so you'll still see
the whole conversation.

That's my best guess as to what you're after! Let me know what further
questions you've got.

Eric

* Re: How to do you manage Threads, your inbox, your sent folder, your archive
@ 2021-12-25 10:03 ` 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2021-12-25 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

dal-blazej@onenetbeyond.org writes:

> Hi,
>
> I was reading :
> https://libredd.it/r/emacs/comments/rhxfqx/threaded_and_syncced_emails_with_gnus_how_can_i/
>
> I come from mu4e. With mu4e I never had to worry about threads, I could
> enable or disable their display with a keybinding and that's was
> it. Simpler times without sieve and dovecot.
>
> With gnus, I am a bit confuse.
>
> We have the variable `gnus-message-archive-method' and
> `gnus-message-archive-group' to archive sent mails.
>
> We have also `gnus-posting-styles' to fill headers when composing a
> mail, to eg, CC, BCC or GCC (what does exactly means GCC?), eventually
> to myself or one of my folders.
>
> Then we can set `gnus-parameters' to `gcc-self' for some groups (but
> here I am lost).
>
> In top of that if you use gmane.io, as another secondary method than you
> imap/pop mail server, you eventually have to tweak
> `gnus-refer-thread-use-search' to t and `gnus-refer-article-method' to
> (something ?) to be able to retrieve your threads between back-ends.
>
> Is it possible to archive the whole threads of whom I initiate/reply ?
>
> What do you do with all theses variables ?
>
> For reference in my excursion in gnus, I read the dotfiles of jao and
> jwiegley, if you'are kind enough to share yours, thank's you.

Well to me, nnimap is enough! Email provider is Google Gmail.

Sincerely, Gnus fan Byung-Hee