From: "Adam Sjøgren" <asjo@koldfront.dk>
To: info-gnus-english@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [question] how show messages with bold or colored or different font sizes
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 20:11:33 +0200	[thread overview]

physiculus writes:

> my wife sends messages with thunderbird, but inside gnus these things are
> gone.
> Is it possible with gnus to show the messages with these attributes?

Are you talking about emails in HTML format, and/or in both text and
HTML?

The default is to render them with shr, which does a pretty good job of
showing such formatting.

Do you have an example you can share?

Do you have any configuration set up to prefer text/ignore HTML?

E.g. I have:

  ;; Don't display html inline
  (setq
   mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "text/richtext" "text/enriched")
   mm-automatic-display (remove "text/html" mm-automatic-display))

which is the opposite of what you want. At work I have configured Gnus
the other way around, i.e. to display text/html.

What is the value of mm-text-html-renderer in your setup?

,----[ C-h v mm-text-html-renderer RET ]
| mm-text-html-renderer is a variable defined in ‘mm-decode.el’.
|
| Its value is ‘shr’
|
|   You can customize this variable.
|   This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
|   version 27.1 of Emacs.
|   Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 27.1.
|
| Render of HTML contents.
| It is one of defined renderer types, or a rendering function.
| The defined renderer types are:
| ‘shr’: use the built-in Gnus HTML renderer;
| ‘gnus-w3m’: use Gnus renderer based on w3m;
| ‘w3m’: use emacs-w3m;
| ‘w3m-standalone’: use plain w3m;
| ‘links’: use links;
| ‘lynx’: use lynx;
| ‘html2text’: use html2text.
`----

In my experience the default, shr, is preferable for HTML email.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Unfortunately, much of the Web is like an anthill         Adam Sjøgren
  built by ants on LSD"                                asjo@koldfront.dk