* Article buffer, C-c C-f doesn't work, though it's reported in C-h b
@ 2014-09-24 23:30 Brady Trainor
From: Brady Trainor @ 2014-09-24 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

C-h b in both Summary buffer and Article buffer report binding:

,----
| C-c C-f         gnus-summary-mail-forward
`----

But it is only working for me in Summary buffer, not in Article buffer.
Can anyone confirm?

(However, `S o m' does work in Article buffer.)

--
Brady

* Re: Article buffer, C-c C-f doesn't work, though it's reported in C-h b
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9535.1411612827.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2014-09-25 19:13     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-09-25 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

This obviously managed to confuse more people than one.

And though it was solvable this way (like most Emacs
and Gnus things are) I don't think people should have
to, for such a basic thing - a basic thing that is
there, ready for ignition. It is a waste that people
should try this hard to look for something that is
already there.

Even more so as it is as natural to use forwarding from
the article itself than from the summary - perhaps even
more so, as you typically read the article - which
might involve putting the point it that buffer - before
you decide what to do with it.

PS. Ha - "typically" - I actually never forwarded a
single mail! The thing I did (I suppose) was replying
to the mail, and - without erasing any of the original
quoted message - simply added new recipients in the To
(or Cc) header.

--
underground experts united

@ 2014-09-25 18:57     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-09-25 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Brady Trainor <algebrat@uw.edu> writes:

> C-c C-f is not bound in Article buffer

Then it is only confusing that it turns up on `C-h b'
from an article.

> (so `G G' in Group buffer to search).

What? :)

> (eval-after-load "gnus-art" '(define-key
> gnus-article-mode-map "\C-c\C-f" "Som"))

Minor issue - if you use Gnus every day, I don't see
any advantage of putting it on hold like that. Instead,

(require 'gnus)
(require 'gnus-art)

; other Gnus and article setup/configuration/extenstion

(let ((the-map gnus-article-mode-map))
  (define-key the-map "\C-c\C-f" 'gnus-summary-mail-forward)
  ; more keybindings for `the-map'
  )

Major issue - Why bind one key sequence to another key
sequence? Instead, bind it to gnus-summary-mail-forward
as in my example!

The reason why it is done like that (the "Som" hack) is
that eval-after-load only mentions gnus-art - i.e.,
when gnus-art is loaded, gnus-summary-mail-forward may
not be, which will be an error.

So to solve both those issues at once, just load Gnus
in your init files and set it up safe-and-sound with no
worries.

> (defun gnus-article-mail-forward (&optional arg
> post) "Invoke `gnus-summary-mail-forward' from the
> article buffer." (interactive "P")
> (gnus-article-check-buffer) (with-current-buffer
> gnus-article-current-summary
> (gnus-summary-mail-forward arg post)))

OK, so that is an interface to
gnus-summary-mail-forward which takes into account that
it is invoked from an article. What I can see, it
worked fine just to bind it to
`gnus-summary-mail-forward', but those checks and
balances obviously do something - something useful...

> (eval-after-load "gnus-art" '(define-key
> gnus-article-mode-map "\C-c\C-f"
> gnus-article-mail-forward))

Indeed, as that defun is made available (in some init
file, again) it can be put explicitly in the binding.
However I still like my method more - load everything
first thing. But yes, the above solution should be
equivalent in all that matters...

--

@ 2014-09-25  2:09   ` Brady Trainor
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9535.1411612827.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Brady Trainor @ 2014-09-25  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Brady Trainor <algebrat@uw.edu> writes:
>
>> C-h b in both Summary buffer and Article buffer
>> report binding ... C-c C-f gnus-summary-mail-forward
>>
>> But it is only working for me in Summary buffer, not
>> in Article buffer. Can anyone confirm?
>

> So you can change that into `C-c C-f' easily.

Sorry for the noise, after hitting send I found a previous discussion in
this very newsgroup, with subject line

,----
| C-c C-f is not bound in Article buffer
`----

(so `G G' in Group buffer to search).

For reference, Katsumi Yamaoka gives two solutions there (I include them
because I could not see them in a browser at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnus-english/2007-09/msg00020.html)

,----

`----

--

       [not found] <mailman.9530.1411603532.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2014-09-25  0:48 ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9535.1411612827.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-09-25  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Brady Trainor <algebrat@uw.edu> writes:

> C-h b in both Summary buffer and Article buffer
> report binding ... C-c C-f gnus-summary-mail-forward
>
> But it is only working for me in Summary buffer, not
> in Article buffer. Can anyone confirm?

Yes, that's confusing. It has to do with
`gnus-article-read-summary-keys', I think.

If you do `C-h k C-c C-f' in the article buffer you see
that the keystroke isn't defined.