* Re: How to save the attachment?
       [not found] <mailman.9299.1411299479.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2014-09-21 15:26 ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9346.1411348090.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-09-21 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Quanyang Liu <lqymgt@gmail.com> writes:

> And when I see this line in an email [2.
> application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet]...
> I tried to type 2-K-o. Then it let me input the file
> name. So I type test.xlsx. But it is confusing that
> the file test.xlsx is empty.
>
> Could anyone know what should I do?

Not me :)

That's what I do. Normally I just TAB
(`widget-forward') myself forward to the button, then
hit RET (`gnus-article-press-button').

Sometimes, for example if it is a text file attached,
this doesn't save it, instead it displays it "inline".
If I want the actual file, I place point on the button
and press K-o to get the file.

Are you sure that file isn't empty to begin with?

If you like, send it to me and I'll try my luck.

--
underground experts united

* make a reference, or 'reconnect' sent post somewhere else (was: Re: How to save the attachment?)
       [not found] <mailman.9299.1411299479.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2014-09-21 23:12 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-09-21 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Quanyang Liu <lqymgt@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all

Quanyang Liu also posted this post on gnu.emacs.help,
although it doesn't show in the headers. Maybe he did
two individual postings.

I replied here, and I wonder if I can make a reference
to that post, on the gnu.emacs.help, as a followup to
"this" post (the one that appeared on that list)?

Is there a Gnus/Goggle Groups interface so that I
quickly can get the URL? Or an interface to where the
list is archived? Yeah, where *is* the list/group
archived the usual GNU way? I Googled and surprisingly
enough it gave me GG as the first hit (which I don't
want to use as it requires JavaScript and I don't have
that in Emacs-w3m).

Coolest, of course would be a non-web solution, but it
is my impression that the newsservers don't keep the
articles for very long.

If there isn't an obvious way to make a reference, can
I go to my "sent" group, open the reply, and then tell
Gnus to send it again, only as a followup not to the OP
but to the other post, in the other group?

Yes, I can simply kill and yank but it seems a bit
brutish.

--
underground experts united

* Re: make a reference, or 'reconnect' sent post somewhere else (was: Re: How to save the attachment?)
@ 2014-09-21 23:18   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-09-21 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Is there a Gnus/Goggle Groups interface so that I
> quickly can get the URL? Or an interface to where the
> list is archived? Yeah, where *is* the list/group
> archived the usual GNU way?

At the EmacsWiki, it says, at 'EmacsNewsgroups' [1]:

    gnu.emacs.gnus, news:gnu.emacs.gnus
        Information about the Gnus package. archive at Google

but somehow I doubt it isn't archived somewhere else as
well.

[1] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsNewsgroups

--

@ 2014-09-22  1:06   ` Quanyang Liu
       [not found]     ` <mailman.9347.1411348641.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9346.1411348090.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Quanyang Liu @ 2014-09-22  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sun, Sep 21 2014 at 23:26:19 +0800, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Quanyang Liu <lqymgt@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> And when I see this line in an email [2.
>> application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet]...
>> I tried to type 2-K-o. Then it let me input the file
>> name. So I type test.xlsx. But it is confusing that
>> the file test.xlsx is empty.
>>
>> Could anyone know what should I do?
>
> Not me :)
>
> That's what I do. Normally I just TAB
> (`widget-forward') myself forward to the button, then
> hit RET (`gnus-article-press-button').
>
> Sometimes, for example if it is a text file attached,
> this doesn't save it, instead it displays it "inline".
> If I want the actual file, I place point on the button
> and press K-o to get the file.

It doesn't show you this prompt ?
      Save MIME part to (default ): ~/
> Are you sure that file isn't empty to begin with?

In fact, I can use web to get the attachment...
> If you like, send it to me and I'll try my luck.
Emm...I am so sorry that this attachment can't be sent to you. But if
necessary, maybe I can create one and send it to you.

--
Quanyang Liu (刘全阳)
Undergraduate

* Re: How to save the attachment?
@ 2014-09-22  1:15     ` Quanyang Liu
       [not found]     ` <mailman.9347.1411348641.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Quanyang Liu @ 2014-09-22  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Mon, Sep 22 2014 at 09:06:06 +0800, Quanyang Liu wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 21 2014 at 23:26:19 +0800, Emanuel Berg wrote:
>> Quanyang Liu <lqymgt@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> And when I see this line in an email [2.
>>> application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet]...
>>> I tried to type 2-K-o. Then it let me input the file
>>> name. So I type test.xlsx. But it is confusing that
>>> the file test.xlsx is empty.
>>>
>>> Could anyone know what should I do?
>>
>> Not me :)
>>
>> That's what I do. Normally I just TAB
>> (`widget-forward') myself forward to the button, then
>> hit RET (`gnus-article-press-button').
>>
>> Sometimes, for example if it is a text file attached,
>> this doesn't save it, instead it displays it "inline".
>> If I want the actual file, I place point on the button
>> and press K-o to get the file.
>>
> It doesn't show you this prompt ?
>       Save MIME part to (default ): ~/
>> Are you sure that file isn't empty to begin with?
>>
> In fact, I can use web to get the attachment...
>> If you like, send it to me and I'll try my luck.
> Emm...I am so sorry that this attachment can't be sent to you. But if
> necessary, maybe I can create one and send it to you.

Well... I try to use one account in gnus send an attachment to another
account. Then it show me this
      [1. application/pdf; Learn You a Haskell for Great Good.pdf]...
So that I do not need to give the file name and it can be perfectly
download...

But when use web mail mail to send it, it behave differently (just as
what I describe at the first article I post).
--

@ 2014-09-22  1:32     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-09-22  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Quanyang Liu <lqymgt@gmail.com> writes:

> It doesn't show you this prompt ? Save MIME part to
> (default ): ~/

It shows a prompt, mine has a default value though. Try
to just type a name and hit RET and then go check out
the file.

--

@ 2014-09-22  1:49       ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]         ` <mailman.9355.1411369533.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-09-22  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Quanyang Liu <lqymgt@gmail.com> writes:

> it show me this [1. application/pdf; Learn You a
> Haskell for Great Good.pdf]... So that I do not need
> to give the file name and it can be perfectly
> downloaded...

So it does work when you type a filename?

Then it isn't that bad, you can even make the time
worthwhile to give the files better filenames that
don't contain spaces...

Not that you are not exactly downloading the file. You
already have it when you have the mail to which it is
attached. You just tell Gnus to put it somewhere on
your filesystem - i.e., to extract it from the mail
file.

For example, I use nnml, so ever mail gets one file on
my hard disk. In particular, they end up in
~/Mail/mail/misc - if I use ll ('ls -lh') there, I see
that almost all mails are just a couple of Ks (3.3K,
6.8K, etc.) - but then I see some that are big: 2.4M,
even 21M, and so on.

Those are the mails witch attachments. If I use 'file'
on such a file, it says it is just a bunch of ASCII.
Nevertheless, with 'munpack -f 351' (if 351 is the name
of the MIME mail) I can get all the encoded elements.
[On Debian, you get munpack with 'sudo aptitude install
mpack'; probably that works on the Ubuntus as well.]

Try do the same. If it works that way, it should work
from Gnus as well.

> But when use web mail mail to send it, it behave
> differently (just as what I describe at the first
> article I post).

What do you mean - "web mail"?

--

@ 2014-09-22  4:03         ` Quanyang Liu
       [not found]         ` <mailman.9355.1411369533.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Quanyang Liu @ 2014-09-22  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Mon, Sep 22 2014 at 09:49:24 +0800, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Quanyang Liu <lqymgt@gmail.com> writes:
> So it does work when you type a filename?

In fact, it doesn't work. I have tried to give a filename, and it said
it had written it. But that file was empty....

> For example, I use nnml, so ever mail gets one file on
> my hard disk. In particular, they end up in
> ~/Mail/mail/misc - if I use ll ('ls -lh') there, I see
> that almost all mails are just a couple of Ks (3.3K,
> 6.8K, etc.) - but then I see some that are big: 2.4M,
> even 21M, and so on.

Is the fact that I use imap causes my problem ?

>> But when use web mail mail to send it, it behave
>> differently (just as what I describe at the first
>> article I post).
>
> What do you mean - "web mail"?

Sorry for my poor English...I mean that using a web browser to go to the
webpage, and then send an email.

By maybe I made a mistake. When I read the *Sent Mail* group in one
account, the attachment looks like this:
         [1. application/pdf; Learn You a Haskell for Great Good.pdf]

But when I read it in the receive account, it looks like this:
         [1. application/pdf]...

So, it is the same..

* Re: How to save the attachment?)
@ 2014-09-22  8:16   ` Rasmus
       [not found]     ` <mailman.9375.1411379666.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Rasmus @ 2014-09-22  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Quanyang Liu <lqymgt@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi all
>
> Quanyang Liu also posted this post on gnu.emacs.help,
> although it doesn't show in the headers. Maybe he did
> two individual postings.
>
> I replied here, and I wonder if I can make a reference
> to that post, on the gnu.emacs.help, as a followup to
> "this" post (the one that appeared on that list)?
>
> Is there a Gnus/Goggle Groups interface so that I
> quickly can get the URL? Or an interface to where the
> list is archived? Yeah, where *is* the list/group
> archived the usual GNU way? I Googled and surprisingly
> enough it gave me GG as the first hit (which I don't
> want to use as it requires JavaScript and I don't have
> that in Emacs-w3m).

I'm *probably* misunderstanding you here, but is the "Archived-At"
header that's on every Gmane message what you are looking for?

These days I only read Gmane, but you used to be able to also get the
google archived version with message id.

—Rasmus

--
I feel emotional landscapes they puzzle me

* Re: How to save the attachment?)
@ 2014-09-22  9:53     ` Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
       [not found]     ` <mailman.9375.1411379666.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2014-09-22  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> writes:
>
>> Quanyang Liu <lqymgt@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>
>> Quanyang Liu also posted this post on gnu.emacs.help,
>> although it doesn't show in the headers. Maybe he did
>> two individual postings.
>>
>> I replied here, and I wonder if I can make a reference
>> to that post, on the gnu.emacs.help, as a followup to
>> "this" post (the one that appeared on that list)?
>>
>> Is there a Gnus/Goggle Groups interface so that I
>> quickly can get the URL? Or an interface to where the
>> list is archived? Yeah, where *is* the list/group
>> archived the usual GNU way? I Googled and surprisingly
>> enough it gave me GG as the first hit (which I don't
>> want to use as it requires JavaScript and I don't have
>> that in Emacs-w3m).
>
> I'm *probably* misunderstanding you here, but is the "Archived-At"
> header that's on every Gmane message what you are looking for?

I rebind M-w in summary-mode to grab the Archived-at header if there's
no active region, find it very handy for sharing links to gmane (and
it's easy to make a further function to open blog posts in a browser):

(defun gnus-article-gwene/gmane-link ()
  (let ((url (with-current-buffer gnus-original-article-buffer
	       (setq url (gnus-fetch-field "Archived-at")))))
    (if (not (stringp url))
	(gnus-message 1 "No \"Archived-at\" header found.")
      (gnus-replace-in-string url "^<\\|>$" ""))))

(defun gnus-summary-kill-region-or-url-at-point ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((url (gnus-article-gwene/gmane-link)))
    (if (or (region-active-p)
	    (not url))
	(kill-ring-save (region-beginning) (region-end))
      (kill-new url)
      (message "%s" url))))

(add-hook
 'gnus-startup-hook
 (lambda nil
   (define-key gnus-summary-mode-map (kbd "M-w") 'gnus-summary-kill-region-or-url-at-point)))

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

GPG: 0x766AC60C

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 472 bytes --]

@ 2014-09-22 13:44           ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2014-09-22 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 22 Sep 2014, Quanyang Liu wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 22 2014 at 09:49:24 +0800, Emanuel Berg wrote:
>> Quanyang Liu <lqymgt@gmail.com> writes:
>> So it does work when you type a filename?
>>

> In fact, it doesn't work. I have tried to give a filename, and it said
> it had written it. But that file was empty....
>
>> For example, I use nnml, so ever mail gets one file on
>> my hard disk. In particular, they end up in
>> ~/Mail/mail/misc - if I use ll ('ls -lh') there, I see
>> that almost all mails are just a couple of Ks (3.3K,
>> 6.8K, etc.) - but then I see some that are big: 2.4M,
>> even 21M, and so on.
>
> Is the fact that I use imap causes my problem ?
>

>>> But when use web mail mail to send it, it behave
>>> differently (just as what I describe at the first
>>> article I post).
>>
>> What do you mean - "web mail"?
>
> Sorry for my poor English...I mean that using a web browser to go to
> the webpage, and then send an email.
>
> By maybe I made a mistake. When I read the *Sent Mail* group in one
> account, the attachment looks like this:
> [1. application/pdf; Learn You a Haskell for Great Good.pdf]
>
> But when I read it in the receive account, it looks like this:
> [1. application/pdf]...

you don't by accident use nnimap-fetch-partial-articles

	(nnimap-fetch-partial-articles "text/"))

This keeps the attachments on the IMAP server, unless you ask
specifically ( A C )

--
BOFH excuse #268:

Neutrino overload on the nameserver

@ 2014-09-22 22:03       ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]         ` <mailman.9412.1411433560.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-09-22 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer@fsfe.org> writes:

> I rebind M-w in summary-mode to grab the Archived-at
> header if there's no active region, find it very
> handy for sharing links to gmane (and it's easy to
> make a further function to open blog posts in a
> browser)

I don't have that header, perhaps because I don't use
Gmane but Aioe.org - the only header I have with the
word "archive" is:

So that partially answers my question - where the list
is archived. It isn't a reference to a specific post,
but if it is fairly new I think it isn't that hard to
find it. The Gmane header seems to be better in that
sense, though.

--

@ 2014-09-23  0:52         ` Rasmus
       [not found]         ` <mailman.9412.1411433560.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Rasmus @ 2014-09-23  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer@fsfe.org> writes:
>
>> I rebind M-w in summary-mode to grab the Archived-at
>> header if there's no active region, find it very
>> handy for sharing links to gmane (and it's easy to
>> make a further function to open blog posts in a
>> browser)
>
> I don't have that header, perhaps because I don't use
> Gmane but Aioe.org - the only header I have with the
> word "archive" is:

> So that partially answers my question - where the list
> is archived. It isn't a reference to a specific post,
> but if it is fairly new I think it isn't that hard to
> find it. The Gmane header seems to be better in that
> sense, though.

OK, then get the Message-ID and fetch the archived Gmane version via

      http://mid.gmane.org/MESSAGE-ID

E.g. for your message:

     http://mid.gmane.org/87a95rfh2y.fsf@debian.uxu

–Rasmus

--
The Kids call him Billy the Saint

@ 2014-09-23  1:35           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-09-23  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> OK, then get the Message-ID and fetch the archived
> Gmane version via
>
>       http://mid.gmane.org/MESSAGE-ID
>
> E.g. for your message:
>
>      http://mid.gmane.org/87a95rfh2y.fsf@debian.uxu

Yes, that works. Thank you.

--

@ 2014-09-23 23:45           ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]             ` <mailman.9455.1411518329.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-09-23 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> OK, then get the Message-ID and fetch the archived
> Gmane version via
>
>       http://mid.gmane.org/MESSAGE-ID
>
> E.g. for your message:
>
>      http://mid.gmane.org/87a95rfh2y.fsf@debian.uxu

Yes, that worked for my messages - but for your
message, that method gives me

    http://mid.gmane.org/mailman.9412.1411433560.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org

which doesn't lead to an archived version of your
message but to an error page.

Any ideas?

--

@ 2014-09-24  0:24             ` Rasmus
       [not found]             ` <mailman.9455.1411518329.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Rasmus @ 2014-09-24  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
>
>> OK, then get the Message-ID and fetch the archived
>> Gmane version via
>>
>>       http://mid.gmane.org/MESSAGE-ID
>>
>> E.g. for your message:
>>
>>      http://mid.gmane.org/87a95rfh2y.fsf@debian.uxu
>
> Yes, that worked for my messages - but for your
> message, that method gives me
>
>     http://mid.gmane.org/mailman.9412.1411433560.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org
>
> which doesn't lead to an archived version of your
> message but to an error page.

In my Gnus it shows the message id as 8761gfdupx.fsf@gmx.us.  And
indeed

       http://mid.gmane.org/8761gfdupx.fsf@gmx.us

Works.  I see similar links to the one you see in the
References-header.

Perhaps it is possible to look-up messages from the Gnu mailservers
with that Message-ID?

—Rasmus

--
If you can mix business and politics wonderful things can happen!

@ 2014-09-24  1:23               ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.9774.1411780384.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-09-24  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> In my Gnus it shows the message id as
> 8761gfdupx.fsf@gmx.us. And indeed
>
>     http://mid.gmane.org/8761gfdupx.fsf@gmx.us
>
> Works. I see similar links to the one you see in the
> References-header.

I see the References-header containing first the same
data as the Message-ID-header, then a list of mixed
newsgroup/mailing list (?) IDs, e.g.,
<87sijkcbor.fsf@gmx.us> and
<mailman.9375.1411379666.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>.

The @gmx.us stuff is obviously you. But then comes the
mailing list reference as well, also from you. Only you
have that as @gmx.us, but not I! Heck, this is
confusing...

> Perhaps it is possible to look-up messages from the
> Gnu mailservers with that Message-ID?

Good idea, but this is the Message-ID:

    <mailman.9455.1411518329.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>

and this is the URL:

    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnus-english/2014-09/msg00059.html

In other headers, "info-gnus-english" is all over the
place. 2014 is in the Date-header. 09 isn't anywhere,
but "Sep" is in the Date-header, again. But where is
00059 (or even 59)? Nowhere in plain text, at least.

--

@ 2014-09-27  1:12                 ` Rasmus
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.9774.1411780384.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Rasmus @ 2014-09-27  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
>
>> In my Gnus it shows the message id as
>> 8761gfdupx.fsf@gmx.us. And indeed
>>
>>     http://mid.gmane.org/8761gfdupx.fsf@gmx.us
>>
>> Works. I see similar links to the one you see in the
>> References-header.
>
> I see the References-header containing first the same
> data as the Message-ID-header, then a list of mixed
> newsgroup/mailing list (?) IDs, e.g.,
> <87sijkcbor.fsf@gmx.us> and
> <mailman.9375.1411379666.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>.
>
> The @gmx.us stuff is obviously you. But then comes the
> mailing list reference as well, also from you. Only you
> have that as @gmx.us, but not I! Heck, this is
> confusing...

But is the newest Message-ID at a predicable place?  If so you could
split the string by newline (or C-q C-j).

My References contain no trace of your last message, but it sounds the
server you're using is working differently.

	<87fvfkpnzr.fsf@debian.uxu> <87sijkcbor.fsf@gmx.us>
	<mailman.9375.1411379666.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
	<87a95rfh2y.fsf@debian.uxu>
	<mailman.9412.1411433560.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
	<87r3z1uciq.fsf@debian.uxu>
	<mailman.9455.1411518329.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>

A quick way to get this into a nice list is (after loading org):

(mapcar (lambda (x) (replace-regexp-in-string "<?>?" "" x))
(org-split-string "<mailman.9299.1411299479.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
	<87fvfkpnzr.fsf@debian.uxu> <87sijkcbor.fsf@gmx.us>
	<mailman.9375.1411379666.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
	<87a95rfh2y.fsf@debian.uxu>
	<mailman.9412.1411433560.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
	<87r3z1uciq.fsf@debian.uxu>
	<mailman.9455.1411518329.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>" "
?[[:space:]]+"))

> In other headers, "info-gnus-english" is all over the
> place. 2014 is in the Date-header. 09 isn't anywhere,
> but "Sep" is in the Date-header, again. But where is
> 00059 (or even 59)? Nowhere in plain text, at least.

Maybe it has to do with `gnus-article-date-headers'?

—Rasmus

--
May contains speling mistake

@ 2014-09-27  2:04                   ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]                     ` <mailman.9806.1411825835.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-09-27  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> My References contain no trace of your last message

No, you are right, I double checked that and those are
alike but not identical.

> <87fvfkpnzr.fsf@debian.uxu> <87sijkcbor.fsf@gmx.us>
> <mailman.9375.1411379666.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
> <87a95rfh2y.fsf@debian.uxu>
> <mailman.9412.1411433560.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
> <87r3z1uciq.fsf@debian.uxu>
> <mailman.9455.1411518329.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>

Yes, the debian.uxu:s are me, you one the other hand
seem to be sometimes gmx.us and sometimes
mailman-yada-yada (the listbot notation from
info-gnus-english@gnu.org).

For example, in your last post, you are:

    <mailman.9774.1411780384.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>

Are you sometimes posting as news to gnu.emacs.gnus and
sometimes as mails to info-gnus-english@gnu.org - ?

>> In other headers, "info-gnus-english" is all over
>> the place. 2014 is in the Date-header. 09 isn't
>> anywhere, but "Sep" is in the Date-header, again.
>> But where is 00059 (or even 59)? Nowhere in plain
>> text, at least.
>
> Maybe it has to do with `gnus-article-date-headers'?

I'm not sure it has anything to do with Gnus. I can be
just how they archive messages at the web archive for
the list:

    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnus-english

(from the List-Archive header)

It is possible the URL at that site isn't deductible
from the message headers.

--

@ 2014-09-27 11:29                     ` Rasmus
       [not found]                     ` <mailman.9806.1411825835.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Rasmus @ 2014-09-27 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
>
>> My References contain no trace of your last message
>
> No, you are right, I double checked that and those are
> alike but not identical.

>> <87fvfkpnzr.fsf@debian.uxu> <87sijkcbor.fsf@gmx.us>
>> <mailman.9375.1411379666.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
>> <87a95rfh2y.fsf@debian.uxu>
>> <mailman.9412.1411433560.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
>> <87r3z1uciq.fsf@debian.uxu>
>> <mailman.9455.1411518329.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
>
> Yes, the debian.uxu:s are me, you one the other hand
> seem to be sometimes gmx.us and sometimes
> mailman-yada-yada (the listbot notation from
> info-gnus-english@gnu.org).
>
> For example, in your last post, you are:
>
>     <mailman.9774.1411780384.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
>
> Are you sometimes posting as news to gnu.emacs.gnus and
> sometimes as mails to info-gnus-english@gnu.org - ?

If there's a reply in my mailbox I reply from there and the list is
typically turned into a mail address.  Here and now I reply to.

Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.gnus.user

>>> In other headers, "info-gnus-english" is all over
>>> the place. 2014 is in the Date-header. 09 isn't
>>> anywhere, but "Sep" is in the Date-header, again.
>>> But where is 00059 (or even 59)? Nowhere in plain
>>> text, at least.
>>
>> Maybe it has to do with `gnus-article-date-headers'?
>
> I'm not sure it has anything to do with Gnus. I can be
> just how they archive messages at the web archive for
> the list:
>
>     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnus-english
>
> (from the List-Archive header)
>
> It is possible the URL at that site isn't deductible
> from the message headers.

You need the date and the number of messages that month.  That's not
so nice. . .

C-u g should give you the raw message.  Do you see weird formatting
there?

--
What will be next?

@ 2014-09-27 15:47                       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-09-27 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> If there's a reply in my mailbox I reply from there
> and the list is typically turned into a mail address.

OK, that probably explains how it can be that you turn
up differently from time to time.

> Here and now I reply to.
>
> Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.gnus.user

Yeah, you use Gmane. I've heard that the purpose (on of
the purposes) of Gmane is to be able to be on listbots
but to read it as news. But it seem to be able to
archive "pure" news as well as you don't get my
messages from the mailing list - at least the ID looks
different.

On the other hand I use Aioe.org and news. For mailing
lists that don't have a gateway I use mail splitting to
get them neatly into groups. After setting that up, I
don't think about what is mail, and what is news.

Perhaps the answers to some of the questions can be
found on the Gmane, Aioe, Gnus homepages and/or manuals
- or for that matter, write an email to the guy who
does the list archive. (But I don't mind finding things
out this way, on the contrary.)

> C-u g should give you the raw message. Do you see
> weird formatting there?

Yes, `C-u g' is the one I've been using because I have
it configured not to show that many headers with
`gnus-visible-headers'.

To answer your question, well, I don't know what all
those headers do. But no, I can't find anything that
would help us get the URL. Have a look yourself.

Your post is archived at:

    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnus-english/2014-09/msg00073.html

And here are the headers, as I see them on `C-u g':

From: Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us>
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.gnus
Subject: Re: How to save the attachment?)
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 13:29:35 +0200