* versioning is not pretty
@ 2012-10-08  5:53 akb427
From: akb427 @ 2012-10-08  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gnus versioning is confusing the heck out of me.

My platform is Ubuntu 11.10.

So far I've determined that there can be gnus 5.10 versions that are newer than 5.11 versions. (XEmacs version 1.93 = gnus 5.10.8, and is no older than Feb 2009, while Ubuntu gnus version 5.11+v0.10 = No Gnus 0.9, and I think is circa 2008).

XEmacs just packaged 5.10.10 in June of 2012 (= XEmacs package version 1.95), while Gnu Emacs (in Ubuntu 11.10) ships with 5.13.

Is XEmacs packaging massively behind Gnu Emacs packaging? Will I gain cool new features if I switch emacses? Or can I just download a 5.13 someplace and run it in XEmacs?

Wikipedia claims 5.10 is Oort and 5.13 is No Gnus. But as I mentioned above, Ubuntu is shipping a 5.11 No Gnus that's older than their 5.10 version, so that has to be at least No Gnus, right? And Wikipedia doesn't mention Ma Gnus, which I gather is the current development version? Will Ma Gnus get a 5.x number on release? How do I download releases using bzr?

* Re: versioning is not pretty
@ 2012-10-08 16:09 ` Mike Kupfer
From: Mike Kupfer @ 2012-10-08 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

akb427 <google@mirror.to> writes:

> Is XEmacs packaging massively behind Gnu Emacs packaging?

Yes.  I'd like to fix that, but I'm still a little unsure as to what
counts as the most recent stable release.

> Or can I just download a
> 5.13 someplace and run it in XEmacs?

AFAIK that should work.  (Please let me know of any problems that you
run into.)  The XEmacs package has different emoticon support, but in
general I'm trying to avoid divergence from upstream.

mike
(the Gnus package maintainer for XEmacs)