From: Gernot Hassenpflug <gernot@mb3.seikyou.ne.jp>
Subject: posting name in summary buffer
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:29:59 +0900	[thread overview]

Hello all,

System: Ubuntu 6.10 GNU/linux on AMD64 with No Gnus v0.6

I am confused and don't know what to look for. The problem is that in
my own posts in a group I see an arrow and the name of the group in
the summary buffer where I expect to see my own name for the post I
made. I don't know what that field is called. In the manual it seems
to be called "the name from the From header".

I look in the manual, and tried Google searches. Posting styles
doesn't seem to help with this, my email address and signaure settings
are always correct, but my name does not appear. Also, I saw some
discussion that Gnus now generates the "name from the From header"
automatically and that it is bad to try and set this.

Here are my settings for personal information in Emacs (true values
replaced by X and Y):

(setq user-mail-address "gernot@X.X.X.jp")
(setq user-full-name "Gernot Hassenpflug")
(setq mail-host-address "Y.Y.Y")

Then I modify them for Newsgroup posting with gnus:

(setq gnus-local-domain "Y.Y.Y")

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      '((".*"
	 (name "Gernot Hassenpflug")
	 (address "gernot@X.X.X.jp")
	 ("Sender" (message-make-sender))
	 (organization "RISH, Kyoto University"))
))

Also , when writing mail the sender line is as follows:

Sender: gernot@fukaolx15.rish.kuins.net

where the username is my login name and the machine name is the
internal LAN machine name. Clearly, gnus is creating this from my
hostname and login information. However, in such a case, especially
when a machine has several names, how to tell gnus which to select to
get a correct sender?

Is there something I have missed, or conflicting here?
Many thanks,
     Gernot
--
BOFH excuse #139: