* Reply and citation region without transient-mark-mode
@ 2006-05-31 21:19 Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2006-05-31 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

with `transient-mark-mode' turned on, `R' in the message buffer
behaves normally - i.e. limiting citation to the selected region.

With `transient-mark-mode' turned off, `R' ignores the selected
region.  I can't anything useful in the doc.

Any hint ?

--
Bastien

* Re: Reply and citation region without transient-mark-mode
@ 2006-05-31 22:15 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2006-05-31 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bastien <bzgNOSPAM@altern.org> writes:

> with `transient-mark-mode' turned on, `R' in the message buffer
> behaves normally - i.e. limiting citation to the selected region.
>
> With `transient-mark-mode' turned off, `R' ignores the selected
> region. I can't anything useful in the doc.
>
> Any hint ?

Since you are using Emacs 22:

      *** Some commands do something special in Transient Mark mode
      when the mark is active--for instance, they limit their
      operation to the region. Even if you don't normally use
      Transient Mark mode, you might want to get this behavior from a
      particular command. There are two ways you can enable Transient
      Mark mode and activate the mark, for one command only.

      One method is to type C-SPC C-SPC; this enables Transient Mark
      mode and sets the mark at point. The other method is to type C-u
      C-x C-x. This enables Transient Mark mode temporarily but does
      not alter the mark or the region.

      After these commands, Transient Mark mode remains enabled until
      you deactivate the mark. That typically happens when you type a
      command that alters the buffer, but you can also deactivate the
      mark by typing C-g.

(from the etc/NEWS file)

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: Reply and citation region without transient-mark-mode
@ 2006-05-31 22:40   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2006-05-31 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:

> Bastien <bzgNOSPAM@altern.org> writes:
>
>> with `transient-mark-mode' turned on, `R' in the message buffer
>> behaves normally - i.e. limiting citation to the selected region.
>>
>> With `transient-mark-mode' turned off, `R' ignores the selected
>> region. I can't anything useful in the doc.
>>
>> Any hint ?
>
> Since you are using Emacs 22:

Thanks!  C-SPC C-SPC,  of course.

--