* Thread limiting
@ 2006-05-25 11:48 Guillaume R.
       [not found] ` <mailman.2280.1148566098.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Guillaume R. @ 2006-05-25 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello
While reading news, I wanted to limit the thread reading to the 30
precedent days (that is: I dont want at the top of my summary buffer
mail and/or news older than 24 april for example).
I thought first in using gnus-summary-limit-to-age but I realize that I
cant use it to fetch only the thread from the 30 precedent day but only
to fetch the ones older than 30 days...
Do you think it's possible to display only the thread posted since the
30 precedent day (at the day you're opening Gnus)?
Thx

* Re: Thread limiting
@ 2006-05-25 14:07 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found] ` <mailman.2280.1148566098.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-05-25 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Guillaume R." <raimondeau@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Guillaume,

> I thought first in using gnus-summary-limit-to-age but I realize that
> I cant use it to fetch only the thread from the 30 precedent day but
> only to fetch the ones older than 30 days...

No, that's not entirely true.

,----[ C-h f gnus-summary-limit-to-age RET ]
| gnus-summary-limit-to-age is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
| `gnus-sum.el'.
| (gnus-summary-limit-to-age AGE &optional YOUNGER-P)
|
| Limit the summary buffer to articles that are older than (or equal)
| AGE days.  If YOUNGER-P (the prefix) is non-nil, limit the summary
| buffer to articles that are younger than AGE days.
`----

So if you do `C-u M-x gnus-summary-limit-to-age RET 30' you'll limit the
summary buffer to articles younger than 30 days.

HTH,
Tassilo
--
A morning without coffee is like something without something else.

* Re: Thread limiting
       [not found] ` <mailman.2280.1148566098.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2006-05-25 14:40   ` Guillaume R.
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2288.1148574539.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Guillaume R. @ 2006-05-25 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi Guillaume,
Lo Tassilo :)
</snip...>

> So if you do `C-u M-x gnus-summary-limit-to-age RET 30' you'll limit the
> summary buffer to articles younger than 30 days.
I really don't know that it could be combined with C-u. I've just tried
it and it works fine. But I tried to put it in my .gnus to automatize
that at the startup and it does not work.
Do you know what I must write in my .gnus so that I got the result of
your command at the startup automagically?
Thanks  for all

* Re: Thread limiting
@ 2006-05-25 16:28     ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2288.1148574539.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-05-25 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Guillaume R." <raimondeau@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Guillaume,

> I really don't know that it could be combined with C-u. I've just
> tried it and it works fine.

You should always have a look at the function's documentation. If it
mentions a "prefix" argument, that can be given with C-u <arg>.

> But I tried to put it in my .gnus to automatize that at the startup
> and it does not work.  Do you know what I must write in my .gnus so
> that I got the result of your command at the startup automagically?

Try this one.

(add-hook 'gnus-summary-prepare-hook
          (lambda ()
            (gnus-summary-limit-to-age 30 t)))

,----[ C-h v gnus-summary-prepare-hook RET ]
| gnus-summary-prepare-hook is a variable defined in `gnus-sum.el'.
| Its value is nil
|
| Documentation:
| *A hook called after the summary buffer has been generated.
| If you want to modify the summary buffer, you can use this hook.
`----

Hope this helps,
Tassilo
--
"Emacs is not a development tool but a way of life."
     - David Kastrup in alt.religion.emacs -

* Re: Thread limiting
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2288.1148574539.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2006-05-26  7:23       ` Guillaume R.
       [not found]         ` <mailman.2315.1148638103.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Guillaume R. @ 2006-05-26  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tassilo Horn <heimdall@uni-koblenz.de> writes:

> "Guillaume R." <raimondeau@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Guillaume,
Hello

Yes I see that it needs a prefix. I look at the manual here: http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_260.html#SEC260 and I dont see the C-u keycode :'(

> > But I tried to put it in my .gnus to automatize that at the startup
> > and it does not work.  Do you know what I must write in my .gnus so
> > that I got the result of your command at the startup automagically?
>
> Try this one.
>
> (add-hook 'gnus-summary-prepare-hook
>           (lambda ()
>             (gnus-summary-limit-to-age 30 t)))
I will try it right now. I don't think I need a hook to achieve this.
Thanks a lot
> Hope this helps,
of course it helps :)
Guillaume

* Re: Thread limiting
@ 2006-05-26 10:07         ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]         ` <mailman.2315.1148638103.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-05-26 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

raimondeau@freesurf.fr (Guillaume R.) writes:

Hi Guillaume,

>> You should always have a look at the function's documentation. If it
>> mentions a "prefix" argument, that can be given with C-u <arg>.
>
> Yes I see that it needs a prefix. I look at the manual here:
> http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_260.html#SEC260 and I dont see the C-u
> keycode :'(

Hm, right. I think the manual assumes a certain familiarity with Emacs.

>> (add-hook 'gnus-summary-prepare-hook
>>           (lambda ()
>>             (gnus-summary-limit-to-age 30 t)))
>
> I will try it right now. I don't think I need a hook to achieve this.

How do you want to achieve it without a hook?

Bye,
Tassilo
--

@ 2006-05-27 10:14           ` Guillaume R.
From: Guillaume R. @ 2006-05-27 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Hi Guillaume,
Re

> Hm, right. I think the manual assumes a certain familiarity with Emacs.
Yes I suppose you were right so yesterday, I've completed the tutorial
(a well done one btw)

> >> (add-hook 'gnus-summary-prepare-hook
> >>           (lambda ()
> >>             (gnus-summary-limit-to-age 30 t)))
> >
> > I will try it right now. I don't think I need a hook to achieve this.
>
> How do you want to achieve it without a hook?
Hum I dont know elisp (yet!) so I've just write sth like:
(setq gnus-summary-limit-to-age 30)
And it does not work...
I test your hook and it doesn't work too, I've got a strange message
error:
"Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size"
I can connect to the server, seeing my group but when I type RET in the
group buffer to go in one of this group I've got this error.
Do you know what does it mean?
Thanks
Guillaume

* Re: Thread limiting
@ 2006-05-27 11:41             ` Cor Gest
From: Cor Gest @ 2006-05-27 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some entity AKA "Guillaume R." <raimondeau@gmail.com>
 wrote this mindboggling stuff:

(selectively-snipped-or-not-p)

> "Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size"
> I can connect to the server, seeing my group but when I type RET in the
> group buffer to go in one of this group I've got this error.
> Do you know what does it mean?

there are inbuild restriction settings within elisp to controle the
use of system-resources,

in my .emacs.el these settings are set to:
; (custom-set-variables
; ...
;'(max-lisp-eval-depth 2400)
;'(max-specpdl-size 6400)
; ...)

these can be set to other values than the deafaults, which are rather
conservative.

Cor

--
I do not use Windows (tm) therefore I do not fear mail from strangers
If everything else failed to satisfy you, try reading The Frign' Manual

* Re: Thread limiting
@ 2006-05-27 12:38             ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-05-27 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Guillaume R." <raimondeau@gmail.com> writes:

>> Hm, right. I think the manual assumes a certain familiarity with
>> Emacs.
>
> Yes I suppose you were right so yesterday, I've completed the tutorial
> (a well done one btw)

Yeah, the whole Gnus documentation is a fun read.

>> How do you want to achieve it without a hook?
>
> Hum I dont know elisp (yet!) so I've just write sth like:
> (setq gnus-summary-limit-to-age 30)
> And it does not work...

This cannot work. gnus-summary-limit-to-age is a function, so you have
to call it somewhere. That's where hooks are for.

> I test your hook and it doesn't work too, I've got a strange message
> error:
> "Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size"

I tested it and get a similar error. (something with max-eval-depth)

> Do you know what does it mean?

Not really. But this one works for me:

(add-hook 'gnus-summary-prepared-hook
          (lambda ()
            (gnus-summary-limit-to-age 1 t)))

This time its gnus-summary-prepared-hook hook, instead of
gnus-summary-prepare-hook.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
VI VI VI - The Roman Number Of The Beast