* nnimap move behaving like copy
@ 2005-11-02  6:29 Jesse F. Hughes
From: Jesse F. Hughes @ 2005-11-02  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey ho.

For some time now, whenever I move an article from one nnimap group to
another (same server), it is failing to delete the article from the
original group.

I've tried to diagnose the problem, but I don't know diddly about
nnimap.  I've looked at nnimap-request-move-article.  The final
command there is:

	     (imap-message-flags-add
	      (imap-range-to-message-set (list article))
	      "\\Deleted" 'silent nnimap-server-buffer)

Gnus clearly reaches that command (I asked for messages before and
after it).  But nonetheless, the article still sits happily on my
server.

I don't know how to figure out whether the article is being marked
"Deleted" or not.  The server is a courier-imap server on another of
my machines, so I have access to whatever logs are being created.

The problem seems to have started after updating to No Gnus v0.3
from Oort Gnus.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Jesse F. Hughes
"And I'm one of my own biggest skeptics as I had *YEARS* of wrong

* Re: nnimap move behaving like copy
@ 2005-11-12  5:39 ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2005-11-12  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jesse F. Hughes" <jesse@phiwumbda.org> writes:

> Hey ho.
>
> For some time now, whenever I move an article from one nnimap group to
> another (same server), it is failing to delete the article from the
> original group.
>
> I've tried to diagnose the problem, but I don't know diddly about
> nnimap.  I've looked at nnimap-request-move-article.  The final
> command there is:
>
> 	     (imap-message-flags-add
> 	      (imap-range-to-message-set (list article))
> 	      "\\Deleted" 'silent nnimap-server-buffer)
>
> Gnus clearly reaches that command (I asked for messages before and
> after it).  But nonetheless, the article still sits happily on my
> server.
>
> I don't know how to figure out whether the article is being marked
> "Deleted" or not.  The server is a courier-imap server on another of
> my machines, so I have access to whatever logs are being created.
>
> The problem seems to have started after updating to No Gnus v0.3
> from Oort Gnus.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have the agent enabled for this server?  If so, try turning it
off for a short test.  Open the group containing the original article
with the agent turned off.  Does the article still appear?  If so, can
you specify the precise command that you used?  The only time I use
nnimap is when I'm testing agent problems so I may not know how to
reproduce an obvious example.

Kevin

* Re: nnimap move behaving like copy
@ 2005-11-13  6:43   ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2005-11-13  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner <kevin.greiner@vignette.com> writes:

> "Jesse F. Hughes" <jesse@phiwumbda.org> writes:
>
>> Hey ho.
>>
>> For some time now, whenever I move an article from one nnimap group to
>> another (same server), it is failing to delete the article from the
>> original group.

Jesse,
What version of gnus?  I've been unable to reproduce this error in 'No
Gnus v0.4'.

Kevin

* Re: nnimap move behaving like copy
@ 2005-11-13  9:47     ` leon
From: leon @ 2005-11-13  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner <kevin.greiner@compsol.cc> writes:

> Jesse,
> What version of gnus?  I've been unable to reproduce this error in 'No
> Gnus v0.4'.

I'm curious what is 'No Gnus'. Is it a CVS version of gnus?

--
Cheers

* Re: nnimap move behaving like copy
@ 2005-11-13 13:30       ` Sébastien Kirche
From: Sébastien Kirche @ 2005-11-13 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:11 on nov 13 2005, leon said :

> I'm curious what is 'No Gnus'. Is it a CVS version of gnus?

Yes it is the name of the current CVS version that you can reach by CVS.
--
Sébastien Kirche

* Re: nnimap move behaving like copy
@ 2005-11-14 21:40     ` Jesse F. Hughes
From: Jesse F. Hughes @ 2005-11-14 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner <kevin.greiner@compsol.cc> writes:

> Kevin Greiner <kevin.greiner@vignette.com> writes:
>
>> "Jesse F. Hughes" <jesse@phiwumbda.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hey ho.
>>>
>>> For some time now, whenever I move an article from one nnimap group to
>>> another (same server), it is failing to delete the article from the
>>> original group.

Regarding your earlier question (which I can't find on my server):
Does it still happen if the server is removed from the Agent?

I think the answer is "no".  I've been using ognus in the meanwhile,
but I just switched back to ngnus to check this out.  I removed the
imap server from the agent and moved some articles.  I left the group,
re-entered and don't see the articles.

I was a bit surprised by this answer, since the problem is
server-side.  Apparently, when the imap server is plugged into the
agent, "B m" doesn't add a "Deleted" flag to the server.  The mail is
still found on the server after exiting the group.

Thanks for your help.

--
Jesse F. Hughes
"Radicals are interesting because they were considered 'radical' by