From: Mark Triggs <mst@dishevelled.net>
Subject: Re: How to handle when a server is down?
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:31:35 +1000	[thread overview]

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:
> C-u 1 M-x gnus RET will start Gnus, but only contacting servers that
> have level 1 groups. I think. So set the levels for all your groups
> appropriately, and then if you want to see groups with levels up to,
> say, 3, do C-u 3 M-x gnus RET. See C-h f gnus RET and the "Group
> Levels" node in the manual.

I've had similar problems when accessing groups whose server might be
down. One slight complication with using group levels to solve the
problem is that if the server for groups on level 3 is down, and you're
interested in checking the groups on level 4, hitting '4g' still suffers
from the delay as it also checks groups on level 3.

I'm not sure if the numeric argument for running gnus would behave in
the same way, but I've got a feeling it would. Unfortunately, I don't
know if there's any better way than using group levels as Paul
describes. If you've only got one server which is occasionally down,
this isn't an issue anyway, and you can ignore everything I've written
:o)

If anyone has figured out a different workaround for having multiple
servers which may or may not be down, I'd be keen to hear them.

Cheers,

Mark

--
Mark Triggs