* Mail & Procmail, gnus manual
@ 2002-04-25 11:35 Stein A Stromme
From: Stein A Stromme @ 2002-04-25 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Trying to find out how to use procmail with gnus, I found the
following in the manual:

   * Q4.1 What does the message "Buffer has changed on disk" mean in a
     mail group?

     Your filter program should not deliver mail directly to your
     folders, instead it should put the mail into spool files.  Gnus
     will then move the mail safely from the spool files into the
     folders.  This will eliminate the problem.  Look it up in the
     manual, in the section entitled "Mail & Procmail".

but there is no such section to be found?

     This manual corresponds to Gnus 5.9.0.

Stein
--
Stein Arild Strømme                     Tel: (+47) 2212 2521
Centre for Advanced Study               Fax: (+47) 2212 2501

* Re: Mail & Procmail, gnus manual
@ 2002-04-25 22:37 ` Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2002-04-25 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stein A Stromme <stromme@mi.uib.no> writes:

> Trying to find out how to use procmail with gnus, I found the
> following in the manual:
>
>    * Q4.1 What does the message "Buffer has changed on disk" mean in a
>      mail group?
>
>      Your filter program should not deliver mail directly to your
>      folders, instead it should put the mail into spool files.  Gnus
>      will then move the mail safely from the spool files into the
>      folders.  This will eliminate the problem.  Look it up in the
>      manual, in the section entitled "Mail & Procmail".
>
> but there is no such section to be found?

Ok, this is simple : procmail delivers in files, and gnus must use
these files as mail sources, not mail backends (except for nnmaildir,
where this is possible and works well).

What happens is this :
- procmail delivers somewhere.
- gnus uses this somewhere as mail source.
- gnus stores the retrieved mail somewhere else, the mail backend.
The mail backend can not be the mail source, so procmail can not
deliver directly to the mail backend.

With nnmaildir as backend, procmail can directly deliver in the
maildirs. I think this is the best way to use gnus with procmail.

--
Rémi Letot