From: NNTP Surfer via "Announcements and discussions for GNUS, the GNU Emacs Usenet newsreader \(in English\)" <info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
To: info-gnus-english@gnu.org
Subject: How to read mail from local spool?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 10:16:04 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello,

I noticed that I have a file "/var/mail/username" on my computer. Some
programs put messages in it. I would like to read those messages in
Gnus.

What backend should I choose to do this? I don't want to install any
servers on my computer, I'm trying to keep my Debian installation
minimal. It would be best if Gnus could simply read this file without
connecting to localhost. Is this possible? Or maybe I should start
learning to write my own backends for Gnus?