* deuglifing articles
@ 2022-06-10 18:59 GH
From: GH @ 2022-06-10 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi, how can I set functions on articles when I open it to read, maybe a
hook?

I want for example run (gnus-article-outlook-deuglify-article) on open
an article

Also,

many mails from gmail are using Top Posting[1] style, any function to
deuglify it?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiquette_in_technology

* Re: deuglifing articles
@ 2022-06-10 21:26 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2022-06-10 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

GH writes:

> Hi, how can I set functions on articles when I open it to read, maybe
> a hook?

How about this hook:

,----[ C-h v gnus-article-mode-hook RET ]

`----

?

> many mails from gmail are using Top Posting[1] style, any function to
> deuglify it?

I think it has been discussed before, but I can't remember if anybody
came up with something good.

It would be really nice to have a way to move around quotes
automatically, but without trimming (which top posters rarely do), it
might not be of much use in practice?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Some things last longer than you think they will          Adam Sjøgren
  Some kind of things you can never kill"              asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: deuglifing articles
@ 2022-06-10 22:18 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-06-10 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

GH wrote:

> many mails from gmail are using Top Posting style, any
> function to deuglify it?

You can hide the quoted part (instead show a button which will
open it), hide the signature and so on - like you can with any
mail for that matter - but how do you intend to deuglify the
posting style and into what?

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: deuglifing articles
@ 2022-06-10 22:25   ` GH
From: GH @ 2022-06-10 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

> but how do you intend to deuglify the posting style and into what?

maybe a function that count the ">" sorting, for example, ">>>" on top
of ">>" idk

* Re: deuglifing articles
@ 2022-06-10 22:31   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-06-10 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Adam Sjøgren wrote:

>> many mails from gmail are using Top Posting style, any
>> function to deuglify it?
>
> I think it has been discussed before, but I can't remember
> if anybody came up with something good.

Okay but what's the goal more precisely?

> It would be really nice to have a way to move around quotes
> automatically

(setq gnus-treat-hide-citation t)

TAB is `forward-button' and
<backtab> can be `backward-button'

If you want to fill the citation on open, do this - but, it's
not always what you want -

(defun gnus-article-show-filled-citation ()
  "Fill the citation opened on a hidden citation button press."
  (interactive)
  (let*((pos (point))
        (but (get-char-property pos 'button)) )
    (when but
      (widget-button-press pos)
      (save-excursion
        (gnus-article-fill-cited-article) ))))

If you take a look at this you may also help me by making me
aware if stuff can be removed since it's already in Gnus,
that has always been a problem for me with Elisp and even more
so with my Elisp for Gnus.

https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/gnus/article.el

--

@ 2022-06-10 22:33     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-06-10 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

GH wrote:

>> but how do you intend to deuglify the posting style and
>> into what?
>
> maybe a function that count the ">" sorting, for example,
> ">>>" on top of ">>" idk

(how-many "^>> " (point-min)) ; 2

Not following?