* Treat article body iff header matches predicate?
@ 2019-03-20 10:30 Damien Collard
From: Damien Collard @ 2019-03-20 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

I receive posts from a Discourse forum as e-mails, but their quote
(citation) format has poor readability, so I have written a treatment
function that converts such quotes into the usual e-mail citation
format.

I added this function to `gnus-treatment-function-alist', it is applied
to all parts (associated treatment variable set to t) and it works fine.

Now, currently this treatment is performed regardless of the provenance
of an e-mail, while I'd like it to be performed /iff/ the e-mail is
actually from Discourse.

From "Customizing articles" in Gnus' manual, there is no way to set a
treatment variable so the treatment applies to /both/ header and body.

However, a treatment variable can also be set to a "list where the first
element is not a string", and in that case it is interpreted as a
predicate. I tried using the `from` predicate as available in
`nnmail-split-fancy`, but it isn't recognized.

Is there a way to access the headers from a treatment function?

--
Damien Collard

* Re: Treat article body iff header matches predicate?
@ 2019-03-20 11:31 ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2019-03-20 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Collard; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On Wednesday, 20 Mar 2019 at 11:30, Damien Collard wrote:
> I receive posts from a Discourse forum as e-mails, but their quote
> (citation) format has poor readability, so I have written a treatment
> function that converts such quotes into the usual e-mail citation
> format.

One of the mailing lists I follow uses discourse (which I find very
annoying but so be it).  I would love to see your treatment
function.  Are you able to share it?

Thanks,
eric
--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50 & org 9.2.2 on Debian buster/sid

* Re: Treat article body iff header matches predicate?
@ 2019-03-20 12:25   ` Damien Collard
From: Damien Collard @ 2019-03-20 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fraga, Eric; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On Mer, mar 20 2019, Fraga, Eric wrote:

> One of the mailing lists I follow uses discourse (which I find very
> annoying but so be it).  I would love to see your treatment
> function.  Are you able to share it?

Sure, here it is, freshly uploaded:

https://github.com/damiencollard/discourse-article

(Still WIP.)

--

@ 2019-03-20 14:04     ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2019-03-20 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Collard; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On Wednesday, 20 Mar 2019 at 13:25, Damien Collard wrote:
> Sure, here it is, freshly uploaded:
>
> https://github.com/damiencollard/discourse-article
>
> (Still WIP.)

Thanks and noted.

--

@ 2019-03-22  7:49   ` Damien Collard
From: Damien Collard @ 2019-03-22  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fraga, Eric; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Hello,

Here's version 0.0.2 of the Discourse Article treatment. It's far from
perfect but I find it pretty usable already:

https://github.com/damiencollard/discourse-article

It adds the following treatments (each controlled separately, see group
`discourse-article`):

 * Code + Paragraphs : separate fenced code blocks into their own
   paragraphs and fillwrap non-code paragraphs.

 * Prettify Discourse links from `[label](url)` to highlighted and
   clickable `label`.

 * Prettify the previous replies at the bottom of e-mails (provided you
   enabled this setting in your Discourse forum account).

(See screenshot at the above URL.)

Comments welcome!

--
Damien

* Re: Treat article body iff header matches predicate?
@ 2019-03-22  8:15     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2019-03-22  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Damien writes:

> (See screenshot at the above URL.)
>
> Comments welcome!

Cool! How about a "before" screenshot as well?

  :-),

   Adam

--
 "Everything needs to change.                                 Adam Sjøgren
  And it has to start today."                            asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Treat article body iff header matches predicate?
@ 2019-03-22  8:51       ` Damien Collard
From: Damien Collard @ 2019-03-22  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Ven, mar 22 2019, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

> Cool! How about a "before" screenshot as well?

Yes, I did that for nice-citation but forgot to do it for
discourse-article ! Will do :-)

--
Damien

* Re: Treat article body iff header matches predicate?
@ 2019-03-22 12:46       ` Damien Collard
From: Damien Collard @ 2019-03-22 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Ven, mar 22 2019, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

> Cool! How about a "before" screenshot as well?

Done! -- https://github.com/damiencollard/discourse-article

One question, if I may: Do you receive Discourse articles from
`@discoursemail.com` or from another domain? Not asking which one
specifically, but I have the domain hardcoded at the moment, and I
should probably make it customizable...

--
Damien

* Re: Treat article body iff header matches predicate?
@ 2019-03-22 18:05         ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2019-03-22 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Damien writes:

> On Ven, mar 22 2019, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
>
>> Cool! How about a "before" screenshot as well?
>
> Done! -- https://github.com/damiencollard/discourse-article

The [quote]...[/quote] conversion looks nice!

If I was subscribed to emails like this, I would probably prefer to not
have the "Previous replies" shown at all, as I assume they would be
copies of emails I had already received, threaded nicely in Gnus?

> One question, if I may: Do you receive Discourse articles from
> `@discoursemail.com` or from another domain? Not asking which one
> specifically, but I have the domain hardcoded at the moment, and I
> should probably make it customizable...

I don't subscribe to any discourse discussions, so I don't know...

But let me try subscribing to something on the Haskell discourse.

I will return if I get some emails.

  Best regards,

    Adam