* goto-last-article spanning groups?
@ 2012-03-20 13:27 Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2012-03-20 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I notice gnus-summary-goto-last-article doesn't span groups in my
version (v5.13, I know it's old). Does anyone have a hack to make it go
to the last one even if you moved into another group? That's typically
when I want it the most …

best regards,
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

* Re: goto-last-article spanning groups?
@ 2012-03-20 20:32 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-03-20 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer@fsfe.org> writes:

Hi Kevin,

> I notice gnus-summary-goto-last-article doesn't span groups in my
> version (v5.13, I know it's old).

It doesn't span groups in the current git version, too.

> Does anyone have a hack to make it go to the last one even if you
> moved into another group? That's typically when I want it the most …

When I think about it, it really sounds like a very useful feature.  I
also had situations before where I'd like to be able to quickly list the
mails I've read the last hour/day/week.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: goto-last-article spanning groups?
@ 2012-03-20 21:15   ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2012-03-20 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 21:32:49 +0100, Tassilo wrote:

> Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer@fsfe.org> writes:

>> I notice gnus-summary-goto-last-article doesn't span groups in my
>> version (v5.13, I know it's old).

> It doesn't span groups in the current git version, too.

>> Does anyone have a hack to make it go to the last one even if you
>> moved into another group? That's typically when I want it the most …

> When I think about it, it really sounds like a very useful feature.  I
> also had situations before where I'd like to be able to quickly list the
> mails I've read the last hour/day/week.

Cue Ted Zlatanov replying "You could use the Gnus registry for this!"

This is too easy.

  :-),

--
 "500 mil i snön                                              Adam Sjøgren
  Ett UFO över sjön                                      asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: goto-last-article spanning groups?
@ 2012-03-22  7:29     ` Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2012-03-22  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 21:32:49 +0100, Tassilo wrote:
>
>> Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer@fsfe.org> writes:
>
>>> I notice gnus-summary-goto-last-article doesn't span groups in my
>>> version (v5.13, I know it's old).
>
>> It doesn't span groups in the current git version, too.
>
>>> Does anyone have a hack to make it go to the last one even if you
>>> moved into another group? That's typically when I want it the most …
>
>> When I think about it, it really sounds like a very useful feature.  I
>> also had situations before where I'd like to be able to quickly list the
>> mails I've read the last hour/day/week.
>
> Cue Ted Zlatanov replying "You could use the Gnus registry for this!"
>
> This is too easy.

Sorry, I still haven't explored gnus-registry, could you give me a bit
more of a hint than that?

Or does anyone have an example on using gnus-registry for the list of
last read messages?

@ 2012-03-22 11:48       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-03-22 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi Kevin,

I've just hacked something together.

(defvar th-gnus-recent-articles-list nil
  "The list of articles read in this emacs session.")

(defun th-gnus-track-recent-article ()
  (set-buffer gnus-summary-buffer)
  (let ((header (gnus-summary-article-header)))
    (add-to-list 'th-gnus-recent-articles-list (mail-header-id header))))

(add-hook 'gnus-article-prepare-hook 'th-gnus-track-recent-article)

(defun th-gnus-group-make-recency-group ()
  (interactive)
  (if (= 0 (length th-gnus-recent-articles-list))
      (message "No recent articles.")
      ;; FIXME
      (make-me-a-group-of th-gnus-recent-articles-list)))

That will track all articles you read (in the current emacs session) in
a list.  The problem is just that `make-me-a-group-of' doesn't
exist. ;-)

How can I create and select an new ephemeral group?  Basically, I can
just enter some arbitrary group and do

  (dolist (id th-gnus-recent-articles-list)
    (gnus-summary-refer-article id))

and gnus will magically insert the articles into the current summary.
The magic involved can be specified by `gnus-refer-article-method'.  But
I'd rather want to start from a fresh group instead of selecting some
arbitrary group...

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: goto-last-article spanning groups?
@ 2013-05-22 18:36         ` Drew Raines
From: Drew Raines @ 2013-05-22 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Tassilo Horn wrote:

[...]

> That will track all articles you read (in the current emacs session) in
> a list.  The problem is just that `make-me-a-group-of' doesn't
> exist. ;-)

Did you ever get anywhere with this, Tassilo?

Drew