* gnus & auto-fill-mode
@ 2013-02-12 10:21 Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2013-02-12 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi!

I'm trying to understand if Gnus calls on auto-fill-mode in a way that
it leaves it switched-on for other modes.

I have defined a 'my own txt mode' that switches on flyspell and
visual-line-mode, but that leaves auto-fill-mode off.

When I'm have not started Gnus, the Modeline for these *.txt files will
show (Text fly wrap).

However, once I start Gnus, and open a new.txt file, the modeline will
show (Text fly wrap fill).

What can I do to avoid this 'contagion' of auto-fill-mode?

* Re: gnus & auto-fill-mode
@ 2013-02-12 20:15 ` Sergio Durigan Junior
       [not found]   ` <mailman.19778.1360741995.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Sergio Durigan Junior @ 2013-02-12 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tuesday, February 12 2013, Gijs Hillenius wrote:

> What can I do to avoid this 'contagion' of auto-fill-mode?

Maybe try setting `message-fill-column' to nil?

--
Sergio

* Re: gnus & auto-fill-mode
@ 2013-02-13  7:52   ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]   ` <mailman.19778.1360741995.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2013-02-13  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sergio Durigan Junior <sergiodj@riseup.net> writes:

>> What can I do to avoid this 'contagion' of auto-fill-mode?
>
> Maybe try setting `message-fill-column' to nil?

That would disable `auto-fill-mode' in message-mode buffers.  The
enabling of `auto-fill-mode' in message-mode buffers shouldn't have any
effect on other modes, and it doesn't have for me.

So probably the problem is somewhere else.  May we have a look at "your
own text mode".

Viele Grüße,
Tassilo

* Re: gnus & auto-fill-mode
       [not found]   ` <mailman.19778.1360741995.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2013-02-13  8:41     ` Gijs Hillenius
       [not found]       ` <mailman.19799.1360747819.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2013-02-13  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 13 Feb 2013, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Sergio Durigan Junior <sergiodj@riseup.net> writes:
>
>>> What can I do to avoid this 'contagion' of auto-fill-mode?
>>
>> Maybe try setting `message-fill-column' to nil?
>
> That would disable `auto-fill-mode' in message-mode buffers.  The
> enabling of `auto-fill-mode' in message-mode buffers shouldn't have
> any effect on other modes, and it doesn't have for me.
>
> So probably the problem is somewhere else.  May we have a look at
> "your own text mode".

yah, of course.

(define-derived-mode my-text-mode
  text-mode "Text"
  "Modified text-mode, includes longlines-mode and flyspell-mode"
  (visual-line-mode 1)
  (flyspell-mode 1)
  (load "modeline.el")
  (dolist (hook '(text-mode-hook))
    (add-hook hook (lambda()
		     (setq mode-line-types (vector "words" "chars"))))))

Now you'll probably want to see that modeline too? I'll ask its author
(Cecil Westerhof) if that is ok..

--
BOFH excuse #319:

Your computer hasn't been returning all the bits it gets from the Internet.

* Re: gnus & auto-fill-mode
@ 2013-02-13  9:29       ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]       ` <mailman.19799.1360747819.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2013-02-13  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

>> So probably the problem is somewhere else.  May we have a look at
>> "your own text mode".
>
> yah, of course.
>
> (define-derived-mode my-text-mode
>   text-mode "Text"
>   "Modified text-mode, includes longlines-mode and flyspell-mode"
>   (visual-line-mode 1)
>   (flyspell-mode 1)
>   (load "modeline.el")
>   (dolist (hook '(text-mode-hook))
>     (add-hook hook (lambda()
> 		     (setq mode-line-types (vector "words" "chars"))))))

And I guess you have an entry ("\\.te?xt\\'" . my-text-mode) in
`auto-mode-alist', right?

Anyway, I don't see how that could enable `auto-fill-mode' globally.
The only way to enable auto-filling globally seems to be

  (setq-default auto-fill-function 'do-auto-fill)

and I guess you're not doing that, right?

Hm, another idea: Is `auto-fill-mode' *really* enabled, or is it just
that there's a Fill in the mode-line?  The latter could be a problem
with the modeline.el you're loading.

To check if `auto-fill-mode' is really enabled in a buffer, do:

,----[ C-h k C-h m ]
| C-h m runs the command describe-mode, which is an interactive compiled Lisp
| function in `help.el'.
|
| It is bound to C-c ?, C-h m, <f1> m, <help> m, <menu-bar> <help-menu>
| <describe> <describe-mode>.
|
| (describe-mode &optional BUFFER)
|
| Display documentation of current major mode and minor modes.
| A brief summary of the minor modes comes first, followed by the
| major mode description.  This is followed by detailed
| descriptions of the minor modes, each on a separate page.
|
| For this to work correctly for a minor mode, the mode's indicator
| variable (listed in `minor-mode-alist') must also be a function
| whose documentation describes the minor mode.
|
| If called from Lisp with a non-nil BUFFER argument, display
| documentation for the major and minor modes of that buffer.
`----

At the top of the *Help* buffer, it'll enumerate all enabled minor
modes.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: gnus & auto-fill-mode
       [not found]       ` <mailman.19799.1360747819.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2013-02-13 11:03         ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2013-02-13 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

[...]

> And I guess you have an entry ("\\.te?xt\\'" . my-text-mode) in
> `auto-mode-alist', right?

yes, using:

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.txt\\'" . my-text-mode))

Which makes me wonder, is there a 'real' .txt mode?

> Anyway, I don't see how that could enable `auto-fill-mode' globally.
> The only way to enable auto-filling globally seems to be
>
> (setq-default auto-fill-function 'do-auto-fill)
>
> and I guess you're not doing that, right?

The only reference to auto-fill in .emacs is ;; commented out.

> Hm, another idea: Is `auto-fill-mode' *really* enabled, or is it just
> that there's a Fill in the mode-line?

For one of the txt buffers newly opened: C-h m responds with

Enabled minor modes: Auto-Composition Auto-Compression Auto-Encryption
Auto-Fill Blink-Cursor Display-Time File-Name-Shadow Flyspell
Font-Lock Global-Font-Lock Line-Number Menu-Bar Mouse-Wheel Recentf
Shell-Dirtrack Tooltip Transient-Mark Visual-Line

--
Many pages make a thick book, except for pocket Bibles which are on very
very thin paper.

* fixed... (duh) Re: gnus & auto-fill-mode
@ 2013-02-14  7:00           ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2013-02-14  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I think I got it

my .gnus contains this line, since forever.

;; Autofill
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

I better comment this out.