* set mbox folder as mail sources
@ 2007-11-08 19:40 Teng Wang
From: Teng Wang @ 2007-11-08 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi there,

I am new to gnus. A couple of days before, I set up gnus as my
newsreader. It works great. But I also want to read my email. Since I
already set up mutt as my email client and I still want  to keep it, I
just want to _read_ some of my emails in gnus. Because I already use
procmail as email filter, all the coming email will directly sent to
mbox folder. The question is  how I can use this mbox folder files in gnus.

I have tried
(setq mail-sources
      '(file :path "path\to\mbox\file"))
and
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml "mail"
              (nnml-directory "some\folder")
              (nnml-active-file "some\folder\active"))))

But when I connect to nnml:mail, it shows nothing. I read the manual
many time, but I still cant find the answer.

I dont know if I make my question clear or not. In a word, I just want
gnus to use the mbox folder file and fetch them when start up.

I know I can respool mbox file to the new setup server, but it seems
not to be automatically.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

------------

Teng Wang

* Re: set mbox folder as mail sources
@ 2007-11-08 20:31 ` Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo
From: Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo @ 2007-11-08 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

* Re: set mbox folder as mail sources
@ 2007-11-08 20:58   ` Teng Wang
From: Teng Wang @ 2007-11-08 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

But it cant be done automatically.

can i set it as mail sources? and then the gnus can fetch it when
start up?

* Re: set mbox folder as mail sources
@ 2007-11-08 21:32 ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2007-11-08 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Teng Wang <twang.umn@gmail.com> writes:

> I am new to gnus. A couple of days before, I set up gnus as my
> newsreader. It works great. But I also want to read my email. Since I
> already set up mutt as my email client and I still want  to keep it, I
> just want to _read_ some of my emails in gnus. Because I already use
> procmail as email filter, all the coming email will directly sent to
> mbox folder. The question is  how I can use this mbox folder files in gnus.
>
> I have tried
> (setq mail-sources
>       '(file :path "path\to\mbox\file"))
> and
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnml "mail"
>               (nnml-directory "some\folder")
>               (nnml-active-file "some\folder\active"))))

Two points here:

(1) This setup will pull all of the mail out of your mbox file and save
    them in (Gnus-specific) nnml groups; you won't be able to read your
    old mail in mutt any more.  You might look into either an nnmbox
    select method or creating a single nnmbox foreign group.

(2) Backslashes in elisp strings are escape characters; "\"" is a string
    containing a single quote.  If your OS uses backslash as its path
    separator, you probably need to double it in elisp strings, e.g.
    "path\\to\\mbox\\file".

  --dzm

* Re: set mbox folder as mail sources
@ 2007-11-08 22:52   ` Teng Wang
From: Teng Wang @ 2007-11-08 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I know but I can
(setq mail-sources-delete-incoming nil)

but the problem is I cant fetch mails from mbox folder file.

even if I set it as nnmbox back end, I can see the number of mails in that folder, but I cannot enter that group. It seems so strange.

* Re: set mbox folder as mail sources
@ 2007-11-09  0:33   ` Teng Wang
From: Teng Wang @ 2007-11-09  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Thank you. Now I figure it out it still make mbox folder file empty. That varible might be just for "Incom*" files.

* Re: set mbox folder as mail sources
@ 2007-11-09 17:39     ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-11-09 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english