* PGP / GPG and non-US ascii
@ 2002-07-17 18:22 Daniel Hofmann
From: Daniel Hofmann @ 2002-07-17 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm looking for a GnuPG - Frontend that works well together with
Gnus. The functionality of mailcrypt is o.k. for my needs, but it has
a serious problem: it doesn't handle signatures of buffers with non US
- Ascii characters. Is there a workaround for mailcrypt known, or are
there any other GnuPG - Frontends for Gnus?

Thanks,
Daniel Hofmann.

* Re: PGP / GPG and non-US ascii
@ 2002-07-17 18:26 ` Vasily Korytov
From: Vasily Korytov @ 2002-07-17 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Hofmann writes:

> I'm looking for a GnuPG - Frontend that works well together with
> Gnus. The functionality of mailcrypt is o.k. for my needs, but it has
> a serious problem: it doesn't handle signatures of buffers with non US
> - Ascii characters.

I've just checked. Mailcrypt seems to work for me. I have non-MULE
XEmacs 21.1.

--
                     With respect, Vasily Korytov

PGP key fingerprint: A4FE 4665 A720 687F 4ECC  1474 7C16 C498 BAAB C999

* Re: PGP / GPG and non-US ascii
@ 2002-07-22 12:51   ` Daniel Hofmann
       [not found]     ` <8765z7gbfe.fsf@unix.home>
From: Daniel Hofmann @ 2002-07-22 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

sorry for that late follow-up!

    V.K.> Daniel Hofmann writes:
    >> I'm looking for a GnuPG - Frontend that works well together
    >> with Gnus. The functionality of mailcrypt is o.k. for my needs,
    >> but it has a serious problem: it doesn't handle signatures of
    >> buffers with non US - Ascii characters.

    V.K.> I've just checked. Mailcrypt seems to work for me. I have
    V.K.> non-MULE XEmacs 21.1.

I've checked the mailcrypt-site, and it's true, the problem only
occurs with message and mule - emacsens. I am using GNU Emacs, not
XEmacs, and - am I wrong? - there seems to be no way to configure it
without mule - support. Also turning multibyte - support off
(--unibyte) doesn't help.

Perhaps somebody has an idea...

Daniel Hofmann.

* Re: PGP / GPG and non-US ascii
       [not found]     ` <8765z7gbfe.fsf@unix.home>
@ 2002-07-22 14:11       ` Daniel Hofmann
       [not found]         ` <87k7nnvcf1.fsf@unix.home>
From: Daniel Hofmann @ 2002-07-22 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

    V.K.> AFAIK, you're right -- I know no way to compile MULE out of
    V.K.> GNU Emacs. But I believe, your problem does not appear in
    V.K.> GNU Emacs 21 -- at least, I can sign and/or verify a 8bit
    V.K.> Cyrillic message there.

The Problem is definitely there - I get an "Bad Signature claiming to
be ..." or "message corrupted" - Error. It's also adressed on the
mailcrypt-homepage. (http://mailcrypt.sourceforge.net/#todo). Maybe it's
only a problem with latin-1?

Perhaps I should use pure ascii until that is fixed. Is there some
code for message assuring that Encoding is ascii and Umlauts (öäü...)
are automatically converted into their counterparts (ae, ue ...)  also
with citations ... . That could work for me.

* Re: PGP / GPG and non-US ascii
       [not found]         ` <87k7nnvcf1.fsf@unix.home>
@ 2002-07-23  8:54           ` usenet
From: usenet @ 2002-07-23  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

    V.K.> Let me try again. Are you sure, you have GNU Emacs version
    V.K.> 21? Your User-Agent header reports v20.7. I don't have Emacs
    V.K.> 20 here, but this problem seems not to present in v21.

I am using an older emacs 20.7 on another machine, but ironically the
problem doesn't exist there, but only at home, where I am using a GNU
Emacs 21.1.1 (Debian Package from Woody) and a 5.9.0 GNUS. So a simple
workaround for me is to "downgrade" to 20.7.

    V.K.> If you don't want upgrade Emacs, maybe you should upgrade
    V.K.> Gnus and use gpg.el -- as it was already suggested.

I am not sure to use Alpha - Software for email and especially
encryption / signing. what do yout think?

    >> Perhaps I should use pure ascii until that is fixed. Is there
    >> some code for message assuring that Encoding is ascii and
    >> Umlauts (öäü...)  are automatically converted into their
    >> counterparts (ae, ue ...)  also with citations ... . That could
    >> work for me.

I ment to do the conversion when writing the mail, not after
signing. But that's quite uncomfortable either.

Thanks for your help,
Daniel Hofmann.