* gnus-group-line-format: number of articles to look at
@ 2013-06-18 22:27 Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2013-06-18 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

I want to include the number of "to be read" articles in
`gnus-group-line-format'.  But "%N" is not nearly what I want.  It seems
to include all old articles that I didn't "open" - at least, it gives
very large integers that can't reflect what I mean.

There is also "%U" which counts unseen articles.  But once I opened the
according group, this will be zero, so this is not what I want.

What I want is to count all articles that are not flagged as marked or
old.  Because this is the number of articles I want to have a look at,
now or later.

Can I achieve that without defining a new user format function?  How do
others do this?

Thanks,

Michael.

* Re: gnus-group-line-format: number of articles to look at
@ 2013-06-19  1:28   ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2013-06-19  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi Emanuel,

> > I want to include the number of "to be read" articles in
> > `gnus-group-line-format'.  But "%N" is not nearly what I want.
> > It seems to include all old articles that I didn't "open" - at
> > least, it gives very large integers that can't reflect what I
> > mean.
>
> I found this - I think it is "all" you can do (it is *a lot*)
> using the builtin format codes:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Group-Line-Specification.html
>
> Those you mention are described as:
>
> ‘N’ Number of unread articles and
> ‘U’ Number of unseen articles
>
> There is so much stuff that could be put in that string, it makes
> me sea sick! Are you *sure* what you seek isn't mentioned?

At least, all I tried didn't work.

But you made me think again, and ... I began to wonder why all
relevant numbers started with digit "5".  I had used "5%y" instead of
"%5y" all the time - oh my god!  Feeling a bit stupid now - anyway,
thanks for your help!

Regards,

       [not found] <mailman.1956.1371594485.22516.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2013-06-18 23:43 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-06-18 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573