* Re: How to deal with "Archive" and "delete" in gmail?
       [not found] <mailman.23374.1364987079.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2013-04-03 14:33 ` Cor
       [not found]   ` <mailman.23488.1365063160.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Cor @ 2013-04-03 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

The Feisty Youngster Rainer@krugs.de (Rainer M. Krug)
scribbled this (selectively-snipped-or-not-p) stuff

>In contrast, "Deleting" can be achieved by moving the message to the
>folder [gmail]\bin (or what it is called in the locale one is using).
>
>Now I am using Expire to move the emails to the bin folder, i.e. to
>delete them. But is there something similar I could use to Archive them?
>especially archiving several message becomes a pain.

if you use something like this to sort mail to read in gnus:

;; (setq nnmail-split-methods
      '(
	("cron"		"^Subject: cron:.*")
	("cvs"          "^Subject: \\[CVS\\]")
 	("rootmail"     "^From: root@ ")
	("spam"     ""))))

;;;;;; Expiring junk

(setq auto-expire t)
(setq gnus-inhibit-user-auto-expire nil)
(setq gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups "nnml.*")
(setq nnmail-expiry-wait-function
           (lambda (group)
            (cond ((string= "spam"  group ) 1)
           ; ...
	;; deleting a message after 1 day
		  ((string= "private" group ) 'never)
		  ((string= "slackware" group ) 'never)
        ;; never deleting a message
         ; ...
		  (t 7))))
        ;;all aother groups are deleted after 7 days

Cor

--
 Slaven hebben geen recht op zelfverdediging, mensen ook niet vlg de UN
Dieren hebben recht op een gezonde plaats, mijn bord en het bos zijn dat

* Re: How to deal with "Archive" and "delete" in gmail?
@ 2013-04-04  8:12   ` Rainer M. Krug
       [not found]   ` <mailman.23488.1365063160.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Rainer M. Krug @ 2013-04-04  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cor; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Cor  <cor@clsnet.nl> writes:

> The Feisty Youngster Rainer@krugs.de (Rainer M. Krug)
> scribbled this (selectively-snipped-or-not-p) stuff
>

>>In contrast, "Deleting" can be achieved by moving the message to the
>>folder [gmail]\bin (or what it is called in the locale one is using).
>>
>>Now I am using Expire to move the emails to the bin folder, i.e. to
>>delete them. But is there something similar I could use to Archive them?
>>especially archiving several message becomes a pain.
>
> if you use something like this to sort mail to read in gnus:
>
> ;; (setq nnmail-split-methods
>       '(
> 	("cron"		"^Subject: cron:.*")
> 	("cvs"          "^Subject: \\[CVS\\]")
>  	("rootmail"     "^From: root@ ")
> 	("spam"     ""))))
>

> ;;;;;; Expiring junk
>
> (setq auto-expire t)
> (setq gnus-inhibit-user-auto-expire nil)
> (setq gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups "nnml.*")
> (setq nnmail-expiry-wait-function
>            (lambda (group)
>             (cond ((string= "spam"  group ) 1)
>            ; ...
> 	;; deleting a message after 1 day
> 		  ((string= "private" group ) 'never)
> 		  ((string= "slackware" group ) 'never)
>         ;; never deleting a message
>          ; ...
> 		  (t 7))))
>         ;;all aother groups are deleted after 7 days

I assume this is automatically splitting the messages - correct? I am
actually looking for something to do it manually.
I wil loo into the automatic version later, but not that applicable as I
am using gnus mainly for email.

Thanks,

Rainer

> Cor
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

@ 2013-04-04 11:52     ` Cor
From: Cor @ 2013-04-04 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

The Feisty Youngster Rainer@krugs.de (Rainer M. Krug)
scribbled this (selectively-snipped-or-not-p) stuff

>Cor  <cor@clsnet.nl> writes:
>
>> The Feisty Youngster Rainer@krugs.de (Rainer M. Krug)
>> scribbled this (selectively-snipped-or-not-p) stuff
>>

>>>In contrast, "Deleting" can be achieved by moving the message to the
>>>folder [gmail]\bin (or what it is called in the locale one is using).
>>>
>>>Now I am using Expire to move the emails to the bin folder, i.e. to
>>>delete them. But is there something similar I could use to Archive them?
>>>especially archiving several message becomes a pain.
>>
>> if you use something like this to sort mail to read in gnus:
>>
>> ;; (setq nnmail-split-methods
>>       '(
>> 	("cron"		"^Subject: cron:.*")
>> 	("cvs"          "^Subject: \\[CVS\\]")
>>  	("rootmail"     "^From: root@ ")
>> 	("spam"     ""))))

>I assume this is automatically splitting the messages - correct? I am
>actually looking for something to do it manually.
>I wil loo into the automatic version later, but not that applicable as I
>am using gnus mainly for email.

Yes, I do read mail in gnus.
Gnus gets it mail (in linmux) from /var/spool/mail/user file and then
the nnmail split metthos kicks in.
to make a group in gnus

;;  G > m  name [enter]  method: nnml [enter]
sorting into a the destined is automatic.
the "spam" group is my catch-all-other-mail-group.

and you can set diverse mailheaders and or other regexes per group in:

;;;as an examples from my gnus.el file:

;; (setq gnus-posting-styles

      '((".*"

;; for normal newsgroups

	 (From "Cor  <cor@clsnet.nl>")
	 (Organization "Clsnet Linux Systems")
	 (signature-file "~/.signature"))

;; for mail use

         ("nnml.private"
	 (From "Cor <cor@clsnet.nl>")
	 (signature-file "~/.priv-sig"))))

Hope it helps a bit.

Cor

--

@ 2013-04-05  8:46       ` Rainer M. Krug
From: Rainer M. Krug @ 2013-04-05  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: W. Greenhouse; +Cc: info-gnus-english

wgreenhouse@riseup.net (W. Greenhouse) writes:

> Hi Rainer,
>
> Rainer@krugs.de (Rainer M. Krug) writes:
>
>> This looks like a good option. But I am still struggling with the regexp
>> for groups (maybe because I do not understand the naming of groups?).
>>
>> So I have my gmail account defined as primary source:
>>
>> (setq gnus-select-method
>>                '(nnimap "gmail"
>>                         (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
>>                         (nnimap-server-port 993)
>>                         (nnimap-stream ssl)
>>                         (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
>>                         (nnmail-expiry-target "[Gmail]/Bin")
>>                         (nnmail-expiry-wait 2)))
>>
>> and I would like to set the default move target for all groups in this
>> primary source to "[gmail]/All Mail":
>>
>> (setq gnus-move-split-methods
>>         '(("nnimap.*" "[gmail]/All Mail")))
>>
>> but it is not working.
>>
>> I assume it is something wrong with the regexp "nnimap.*" - my reasoning
>> was: match all groups which start with nnimap.
>>
>> This regexp also concerns other configuratios which are not working...
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rainer
>
> From the config you posted here, it looks like all your Gmail mailboxes
> are so-called "native groups."  "Native groups" are those which use
> `gnus-select-method' as opposed to one of the secondary select methods
> or a "foreign" server.  All this "native" vs. "foreign" is perhaps all
> making Gnus sound rather ethnocentric, but the gist of it is that
> "native groups" do not have the server type prepended to their names.
> That is, because Gmail is your primary select method, Gmail groups on
> your system simply have names like "INBOX" or "[Gmail]/Important", and
> not names like "nnimap+imap.gmail.com:INBOX".  So that's why your
> regexes went astray.

Ok - that is very useful information and it solves one more problem I
had - so brilliant info - Thanks!

> `gnus-move-split-methods' and `gnus-split-methods' and similar such
> rules in Gnus are applied such that more specific rules can override
> more general ones.  If you are primarily using Gnus as a Gmail client,
> it might make a lot of sense to have the most general rule direct any
> re-filed message to the Gmail archive, and then make exceptions to this
> later on.  So, perhaps try this:
>
> (setq gnus-move-split-methods
>       '((".*" "[Gmail]/All Mail")))

Great - looks perfect. That's what I am using and it works like a charm.

Thanks a lot,

Rainer

@ 2013-04-04 14:37     ` W. Greenhouse
From: W. Greenhouse @ 2013-04-04 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Rainer,

Rainer-vfylz/Ys1k4@public.gmane.org (Rainer M. Krug) writes:

> This looks like a good option. But I am still struggling with the regexp
> for groups (maybe because I do not understand the naming of groups?).
>
> So I have my gmail account defined as primary source:
>
> (setq gnus-select-method
>                '(nnimap "gmail"
>                         (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
>                         (nnimap-server-port 993)
>                         (nnimap-stream ssl)
>                         (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
>                         (nnmail-expiry-target "[Gmail]/Bin")
>                         (nnmail-expiry-wait 2)))
>
> and I would like to set the default move target for all groups in this
> primary source to "[gmail]/All Mail":
>
> (setq gnus-move-split-methods
>         '(("nnimap.*" "[gmail]/All Mail")))
>
> but it is not working.
>
> I assume it is something wrong with the regexp "nnimap.*" - my reasoning
> was: match all groups which start with nnimap.
>
> This regexp also concerns other configuratios which are not working...
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rainer

From the config you posted here, it looks like all your Gmail mailboxes
[...]

BOFH excuse #432:

Borg nanites have infested the server

* Re: How to deal with "Archive" and "delete" in gmail?
@ 2013-04-04  8:09   ` Rainer M. Krug
From: Rainer M. Krug @ 2013-04-04  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: W. Greenhouse; +Cc: info-gnus-english

@ 2013-04-03 14:57 ` W. Greenhouse
From: W. Greenhouse @ 2013-04-03 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english-mXXj517/zsQ

Rainer-vfylz/Ys1k4@public.gmane.org (Rainer M. Krug) writes:

> Hi
>
> I have a question about using Archive and Delete when accessing gmail
> via gnus. I am aware, that Archiving can be achieved by "deleting" the
> message in gnus from the e.g. inbox (B DEL), but then I always have to
> confirm with "yes". Also, it might be dangerous when using this on other
> accounts.
>
> In contrast, "Deleting" can be achieved by moving the message to the
> folder [gmail]\bin (or what it is called in the locale one is using).
>
> Now I am using Expire to move the emails to the bin folder, i.e. to
> delete them. But is there something similar I could use to Archive them?
> especially archiving several message becomes a pain.
>
> Would it be possible, to define a key (possibly A) to archive, while E
> still expires (i.e. deletes) the email?

See the variable `gnus-move-split-methods.'  You can set [Gmail]/All
Mail as the default move target for your Gmail nnimap groups, then when
you mark a bunch of messages and do B m that will be the default choice
for moving.

--
BOFH excuse #152:

My pony-tail hit the on/off switch on the power strip.

* How to deal with "Archive" and "delete" in gmail?
@ 2013-04-03 11:04 Rainer M. Krug
From: Rainer M. Krug @ 2013-04-03 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english