* Remembering read mail
@ 2010-06-11 10:21 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-06-11 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

I'm a new gnus user, and have got things sorted to the point where I can
check multiple accounts, send via multiple SMTP servers (msmtp), and
read this newsgroup via gnus (I won't know if I'm able to post until I
send this). I haven't switched away from Evolution (I'm on Ubuntu Lucid)
because of a bunch of little confusions/trepidations, but I'm getting
close.

One thing stopping me is the article summary list. I'm finding it very
confusing to look at, largely because the "read" status of messages is
not remembered between Gnus invocations. Every time I open the group all
the messages are unmarked. As I read them they turn bright blue-green
and get a "R" in the margin. Next time I open the group they're all
unmarked again.

This seems backwards to me: shouldn't unread messages be marked
specially, then unmarked as you read them? And then that status
remembered somehow?

Thanks!
Eric

* Re: Remembering read mail
@ 2010-06-11 11:20 ` Tim Landscheidt
From: Tim Landscheidt @ 2010-06-11 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:

> I'm a new gnus user, and have got things sorted to the point where I can
> check multiple accounts, send via multiple SMTP servers (msmtp), and
> read this newsgroup via gnus (I won't know if I'm able to post until I
> send this). I haven't switched away from Evolution (I'm on Ubuntu Lucid)
> because of a bunch of little confusions/trepidations, but I'm getting
> close.

> One thing stopping me is the article summary list. I'm finding it very
> confusing to look at, largely because the "read" status of messages is
> not remembered between Gnus invocations. Every time I open the group all
> the messages are unmarked. As I read them they turn bright blue-green
> and get a "R" in the margin. Next time I open the group they're all
> unmarked again.

> This seems backwards to me: shouldn't unread messages be marked
> specially, then unmarked as you read them? And then that status
> remembered somehow?

Do you use q to exit the summary buffer?

Tim

* Re: Remembering read mail
@ 2010-06-11 11:35 ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2010-06-11 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> One thing stopping me is the article summary list. I'm finding it very
> confusing to look at, largely because the "read" status of messages is
> not remembered between Gnus invocations. Every time I open the group all
> the messages are unmarked. As I read them they turn bright blue-green
> and get a "R" in the margin. Next time I open the group they're all
> unmarked again.

That shouldn't happen. Normally, the next time you enter the group, all
previously read message should be hidden and the information, that they
have been read remembered.

Could it be, that you exit Gnus by just closing the Emacs window instead
of shutting down Gnus with the 'q'-Key in summary buffer? In this case
it might happen, that Gnus doesn't write to disk and loses all information...

--
Have you ever considered how much text can fit in eighty columns?  Given that a
signature typically contains up to four lines of text, this space allows you to

* Re: Remembering read mail
@ 2010-06-11 17:57   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-06-11 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Frank Schmitt <ich@frank-schmitt.net> writes:

>> One thing stopping me is the article summary list. I'm finding it very
>> confusing to look at, largely because the "read" status of messages is
>> not remembered between Gnus invocations. Every time I open the group all
>> the messages are unmarked. As I read them they turn bright blue-green
>> and get a "R" in the margin. Next time I open the group they're all
>> unmarked again.
>
> That shouldn't happen. Normally, the next time you enter the group, all
> previously read message should be hidden and the information, that they
> have been read remembered.
>
> Could it be, that you exit Gnus by just closing the Emacs window instead
> of shutting down Gnus with the 'q'-Key in summary buffer? In this case
> it might happen, that Gnus doesn't write to disk and loses all information...

Thanks very much to both of you, that was it! I was using 'q'
occasionally, usually just C-x k. That clears up another mystery—why
some of the messages would occasionally seem to disappear…

Thanks again, hopefully I can take it from here.