* Gnus registry permanence and spam-log-to-registry
@ 2010-03-22  9:01 Peter G
From: Peter G @ 2010-03-22  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I'm trying to set up the spam.el package in my .gnus.el, so that I'm
going to have simple spam-handling.

My current setup is almost working, save for the simple problem that
everytime I first start up gnus in emacs, I'm being interactively
prompted whether i eant to "enable the gnus registry" and that I have to
look into 'gnus-registry-install' if I want it to be set permanent.

Problem is, I already have set 'gnus-registry-install'. So what am I
missing?

Relevant part of .gnus.el:

(require 'gnus-registry)
(gnus-registry-initialize)
(setq gnus-registry-install t
      gnus-registry-max-entries 20000)

(require 'spam)
(spam-initialize)
(setq spam-split-group "nnimap+HOME:INBOX.spam"
      spam-use-spamassassin-headers t
      spam-use-bogofilter t
      spam-log-to-registry t
      gnus-spam-process-newsgroups
      '(("nnimap+.*" ((spam spam-use-bogofilter))))

      gnus-spam-newsgroup-contents
      '(("nnimap+HOME:INBOX.spam" gnus-group-spam-classification-spam))

      spam-mark-only-unseen-as-spam t
      spam-mark-ham-unread-before-move-spam-from-group t
      gnus-ham-process-destinations '(("nnimap+HOME:INBOX.spam"
				       "nnimap+HOME:INBOX"))
      gnus-spam-process-destinations '(("nnimap+.*"
					"nnimap+HOME:INBOX.Trash")))

      (setq nnimap-split-rule 'nnimap-split-fancy
      ;; understand what this does before you copy it to your own setup!
      nnimap-split-fancy '(|
                           ;; trace references to parents and put in their group
                           (: gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent)
                           ;; note that spam by default will go to `nnimap+HOME:INBOX.spam'
                           (: spam-split)))

--
Mvh./Regards, Peter.

Please, do not toppost.

* Re: Gnus registry permanence and spam-log-to-registry
@ 2010-03-22 13:05 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-03-22 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 10:01:53 +0100 "Peter G" <nyhedsgrupper@gmx.com> wrote:

PG> I'm trying to set up the spam.el package in my .gnus.el, so that I'm
PG> going to have simple spam-handling.

PG> My current setup is almost working, save for the simple problem that
PG> everytime I first start up gnus in emacs, I'm being interactively
PG> prompted whether i eant to "enable the gnus registry" and that I have to
PG> look into 'gnus-registry-install' if I want it to be set permanent.

PG> Problem is, I already have set 'gnus-registry-install'. So what am I
PG> missing?

PG> Relevant part of .gnus.el:

PG> (require 'gnus-registry)
PG> (gnus-registry-initialize)
PG> (setq gnus-registry-install t
PG>       gnus-registry-max-entries 20000)

It's because of this code in gnus-registry.el:

(when (or (eq gnus-registry-install t)
	  (gnus-registry-install-p))
  (gnus-registry-initialize))

I'll change the docs for the `gnus-registry-install' variable but for
now you should set it before the require or use Customize.

The reason it's a bit annoying like this is that loading the registry
involves hooks and a large data structure.  Loading it inadvertently
could slow Gnus down a lot on older machines.  Sorry for the
inconvenience.

The rest of your setup looks good.  You could use the

(spam-initialize 'backend1 'backend2)

form to enable the backends directly.  You don't have to set them before
calling spam-initialize, unlike the gnus-registry initialization.

Ted

* Re: Gnus registry permanence and spam-log-to-registry
@ 2010-03-22 14:31   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-03-22 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 08:05:44 -0500 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

TZ> On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 10:01:53 +0100 "Peter G" <nyhedsgrupper@gmx.com> wrote:

PG> Relevant part of .gnus.el:

PG> (require 'gnus-registry)
PG> (gnus-registry-initialize)
PG> (setq gnus-registry-install t
PG> gnus-registry-max-entries 20000)

TZ> It's because of this code in gnus-registry.el:

TZ> (when (or (eq gnus-registry-install t)
TZ> 	  (gnus-registry-install-p))
TZ>   (gnus-registry-initialize))

p.s. also, you shouldn't run gnus-registry-initialize twice; it's run
automatically for you when you load the library.

* Re: Gnus registry permanence and spam-log-to-registry
@ 2010-03-22 17:50     ` Peter G
From: Peter G @ 2010-03-22 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> p.s. also, you shouldn't run gnus-registry-initialize twice; it's run
> automatically for you when you load the library.

Thanks for your help. I got it working.

--
Mvh./Regards, Peter.

Please, do not toppost.