* gpg/Mailcrypt & emacs
@ 2006-06-11 18:24 Hadron Quark
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-06-11 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: gpg/Mailcrypt & emacs
@ 2006-06-11 21:35 ` Reiner Steib
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-06-11 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jun 11 2006, Hadron Quark wrote:

> Have any readers ever got mailcrypt

What's wrong with PGG?  (IIRC mailcrypt is obsolete.)

> to sign/encrypt messages based on the from field when sending
> emails/posts in gnus?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: gpg/Mailcrypt & emacs
@ 2006-06-11 21:49 ` Bastien
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bastien @ 2006-06-11 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: gpg/Mailcrypt & emacs
@ 2006-06-11 22:21   ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-06-11 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: gpg/Mailcrypt & emacs
@ 2006-06-11 22:46   ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-06-11 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Sun, Jun 11 2006, Hadron Quark wrote:
>
>> Have any readers ever got mailcrypt
>
> What's wrong with PGG?  (IIRC mailcrypt is obsolete.)

Nothing I know of : but google bought up mailcrypt and it seems to work
fine and there are lots of online manuals etc. Can you comment on the
advantages of pgg? I'll google it up in the morning.

* Re: gpg/Mailcrypt & emacs
@ 2006-06-11 23:07   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2006-06-11 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Have any readers ever got mailcrypt
>
> What's wrong with PGG?  (IIRC mailcrypt is obsolete.)

I've been using Mailcrypt to play with remailers.  To my knowledge,
Mailcrypt does it, PGG doesn't.  But anyway, it was just playing.

--
Bastien

* Re: gpg/Mailcrypt & emacs
@ 2006-06-12  7:05 ` Ivan Boldyrev
       [not found] ` <mailman.2838.1150112209.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Ivan Boldyrev @ 2006-06-12  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9503 day of my life Hadron Quark wrote:
> Have any readers ever got mailcrypt to sign/encrypt messages based
> on the from field when sending emails/posts in gnus?

I don't see any reason to use mailcrypt with No Gnus 0.4.  Use PGG.

Add function to message-send-hook that checks from field and calls
mml-secure-message-encrypt-pgpmime or mml-secure-message-sign-pgpmime
(or any function you like).

--
Ivan Boldyrev

       Assembly of a Japanese bicycle requires greatest peace of spirit.

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 207 bytes --]

* Re: gpg/Mailcrypt & emacs
@ 2006-06-12  8:50     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-06-12  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 12 2006, Hadron Quark wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>> What's wrong with PGG?  (IIRC mailcrypt is obsolete.)
>>
> Nothing I know of : but google bought up mailcrypt and it seems to work
> fine and there are lots of online manuals etc. Can you comment on the
> advantages of pgg? I'll google it up in the morning.

What's wrong with the manuals included in the Gnus distribution? ;-)

,----[ (info "(gnus)Top") ]

`----

,----[ (info "(pgg)Overview") ]
| PGG is an interface library between Emacs and various tools for secure
| communication.  Even though Mailcrypt has similar feature, it does not
| deal with detached PGP messages, normally used in PGP/MIME
| infrastructure.  This was the main reason why I wrote the new library.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: gpg/Mailcrypt & emacs
@ 2006-06-12  9:18       ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-06-12  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Mon, Jun 12 2006, Hadron Quark wrote:
>
>> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>>> What's wrong with PGG?  (IIRC mailcrypt is obsolete.)
>>>
>> Nothing I know of : but google bought up mailcrypt and it seems to work
>> fine and there are lots of online manuals etc. Can you comment on the
>> advantages of pgg? I'll google it up in the morning.
>
> What's wrong with the manuals included in the Gnus distribution? ;-)

What manuals?

I can find no man page for pgg and can find no pgg in my synaptic
package manager. Also, HTML online manuals are usually to read and
navigate.

You dont mean gpg? Which is what I use : mailcrypt talks to gpg as far
as I can tell. At least I used gpg command to build my key ring.

> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Top") ]
> | Other related manuals
> |
> | * Message:(message).         Composing messages.
> | * Emacs-MIME:(emacs-mime).   Composing messages; MIME-specific parts.
> | * Sieve:(sieve).             Managing Sieve scripts in Emacs.
> | * PGG:(pgg).                 PGP/MIME with Gnus.
> | * SASL:(sasl).               SASL authentication in Emacs.
> `----
>
> ,----[ (info "(pgg)Overview") ]
> | PGG is an interface library between Emacs and various tools for secure
> | communication.  Even though Mailcrypt has similar feature, it does not
> | deal with detached PGP messages, normally used in PGP/MIME
> | infrastructure.  This was the main reason why I wrote the new library.
> `----
>
> Bye, Reiner.
> --
>        ,,,
>       (o o)
> ---ooO-(_)-Ooo---  |  PGP key available  |  http://rsteib.home.pages.de/

* Re: gpg/Mailcrypt & emacs
@ 2006-06-12  9:23       ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-06-12  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Mon, Jun 12 2006, Hadron Quark wrote:
>
>> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>>> What's wrong with PGG?  (IIRC mailcrypt is obsolete.)
>>>
>> Nothing I know of : but google bought up mailcrypt and it seems to work
>> fine and there are lots of online manuals etc. Can you comment on the
>> advantages of pgg? I'll google it up in the morning.
>
> What's wrong with the manuals included in the Gnus distribution? ;-)
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Top") ]
> | Other related manuals
> |
> | * Message:(message).         Composing messages.
> | * Emacs-MIME:(emacs-mime).   Composing messages; MIME-specific parts.
> | * Sieve:(sieve).             Managing Sieve scripts in Emacs.
> | * PGG:(pgg).                 PGP/MIME with Gnus.
> | * SASL:(sasl).               SASL authentication in Emacs.
> `----
>
> ,----[ (info "(pgg)Overview") ]
> | PGG is an interface library between Emacs and various tools for secure
> | communication.  Even though Mailcrypt has similar feature, it does not
> | deal with detached PGP messages, normally used in PGP/MIME
> | infrastructure.  This was the main reason why I wrote the new library.
> `----

Gah. Didnt know about it : there were no pgg man pages and a search of
pgg in synaptic gave nothign except gpg.

@ 2006-06-12 11:56   ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-06-12 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ivan Boldyrev <boldyrev+nospam@cgitftp.uiggm.nsc.ru> writes:

> On 9503 day of my life Hadron Quark wrote:
>> Have any readers ever got mailcrypt to sign/encrypt messages based
>> on the from field when sending emails/posts in gnus?
>
> I don't see any reason to use mailcrypt with No Gnus 0.4.  Use PGG.
>
> Add function to message-send-hook that checks from field and calls
> mml-secure-message-encrypt-pgpmime or mml-secure-message-sign-pgpmime
> (or any function you like).

is there a users manual or something? I have looked up pgg info and cant
find any "encrypt message" - only encrypt region. I cant write
lisp. Also, mailcrypt allows a prefix argument to change gpg-user-id :
how would I do that using pgg?

But since mailcrypt uses gpg I see no reason not to use it : its well
documented and easy to use.

I would use pgg : but it seems like one of those things where a deeper
knowledge of lisp and emacs hacking than I possess :(

* Re: gpg/Mailcrypt & emacs
@ 2006-06-12 15:35     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-06-12 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 12 2006, Hadron Quark wrote:

> is there a users manual or something? I have looked up pgg info and cant
> find any "encrypt message" - only encrypt region. I cant write
> lisp.

Try the entry in the "Attachment" menu, see also (info
"(message)Security").

> Also, mailcrypt allows a prefix argument to change gpg-user-id : how
> would I do that using pgg?

Try `i user RET' in the PGG manual...
(info "(pgg)Default user identity")

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: gpg/Mailcrypt & emacs
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.2838.1150112209.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2006-06-13  8:11 ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2006-06-13  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

      > Have any readers ever got mailcrypt to sign/encrypt messages
      > based on the from field when sending emails/posts in gnus?

Yes. Flawlessly.

For several addresses in the bbdb I have a

pgp-mail: sign
pgp-mail: encrypt

field.

I just started toying with bbdb-pgp.el to get it to do the same with
pgg instead of mailcrypt, by replacing the mailcrypt-commands to
pgg-commmands

as said:
change (require 'mailcrypt) to:
(require 'pgg)

and then change

(mc-sign 0))) to (pgg-sign 0))) ;; this works

(mc-encrypt 0))) to (pgg-encrypt 0))) ;; this doesn't :-(

                 and neither does (mml-secure-message-encrypt 0)))