From: adamp_at@at_ipipan.waw.pl (Adam P.)
Subject: Re: faq, but I can't fix it
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 23:33:00 +0200	[thread overview]

Gijs <gijsh@xs4all.nl> writes:
> when I open the nnml mail folder 'private' (where all mail goes that is not
> split) I get asked: "how many articles from nnmll: private (10819):"
>
> There are only 11  messages in there...
>
> I tried M P a B m private (several times)
>
> But then 'all that seems to happen' is that, in the directory
> ~/Mail/private, the messages get a higher number (eg. 11256 to
> 11266). When I restart gnus (R, yes) and select private, it again
> askes me

Did you solve your problem?  If so, can you post your solution?  I've
had the same problem (GNU Emacs 21.1, Debian and Windows 98), posted a
query, got the "M P b B m <name-of-the-group>" advice and, as a
result, saw the reported (false!) number of messages only increase,
just as in your case.  Since I move messages to cache and remove them
from cache very often, I suspect that this is something to do with
Gnus not keeping track of what's really in cache at any particular
moment...

       Adam

--
Name and address in X-Real...