* Error 'invalid read syntax ¨#¨'
@ 2002-04-16 11:01 A. L. Meyers
       [not found] ` <vafvgarzxup.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
From: A. L. Meyers @ 2002-04-16 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, after struggling (anyone who has done it can imagine what it is
like to try and migrate config files from emacs to xemacs) I have got
gnus 5.8.8 up and running under xemacs (just different enough to be
confusing) on the same machine where Oort Gnus on emacs does not grok
the same news server.

But I'm getting the captioned wierd error message above every time I
open a news message. How can I get rid of it?

Will try and get back to the other thread soon. Thanks for the help.

Lucien
--
If you receive this by error, please delete it and inform the sender.
PGP key fingerprint=F1C0 D9AE 1B18 1405 4DFA  B4CC 6DC7 FF78 C76E FB15

* Re: Error 'invalid read syntax ¨#¨'
       [not found] ` <vafvgarzxup.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
@ 2002-04-16 15:25   ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-04-16 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "A. L. Meyers" <nospam.look@replyto.because.this.is.invalid> writes:
>
>> But I'm getting the captioned wierd error message above every time I
>> open a news message. How can I get rid of it?
>
> As usual, set debug-on-error to t, produce the error again,
> investigate the backtrace.  Maybe you can see which file it was
> reading at that time.
>
> Are you sure that XEmacs isn't finding *.elc files produced from
> Emacs or vice versa?  That might lead to such problems.

Close, but I bet it's the .bbdb file -- a friend of mine migrated from
Emacs to XEmacs, and apartently the dumped syntax was specific to the
Emacs flavor.

He didn't have much in his BBDB, so he just blew it away, but I bet
you could change it pretty easily...

I think in Emacs vectors are written to the .bbdb with a leading #,
and in XEmacs they are not:

["Kai" "Großjohann" nil nil nil nil ("Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE" "grossjoh@lothlorien.cs.uni-dortmund.de" "grossjoh@ls6.informatik.uni-dortmund.de") ((creation-date . "2001-10-26") (timestamp . "2002-01-28")) nil]

ttyl,

--
Josh Huber