* gnus-read-init-file: Error in ~/.gnus: disroot.org
@ 2022-11-22 13:50 jindam, vani
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: jindam, vani @ 2022-11-22 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

emacs 27.1 on debian bullseye (userland app [1]):

the entire files (2) are given below:

~/.gnus

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nnimap "disroot.org"))

(setq user-full-name "jindam, vani"
      user-mail-address "jindam.vani@disroot.org")

(setq smtpmail-auth-supported '(plain))")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 465)
(setq mtpmail-stream-type 'tls)

(setq smtpmail-auth-supported '(plain))

(nnimap "disroot.org"
        (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
        (nnimap-split-methods default)
        (nnimap-expunge t)
        (nnimap-stream ssl))
        (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")))

(setq mail-sources
    ’((file :path "/var/spool/mail/jindam.vani@disroot.org")
       (imap :server "disroot.org"
             :user "jindam.vani@disroot.org"
             :port "993"
             :password "password")))

"~/.authinfo

machine disroot.org login jindam.vani@disroot.org password password port 993

~/.getmail/getmailrc

mkdir -m 0700 ~/.getmail

[retriever]
type = IMAP
server = disroot.org
username = jindam.vani@disroot.org
port = 993
password = password

[destination]
type = Maildir
path = ~/.nnmaildir/

~ M-x gnus

gnus-read-init-file: Error in ~/.gnus: disroot.org

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable disroot\.org)
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/home/jindam/.gnus" nil t)  ; Reading at buffer position 513
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/jindam/.gnus" "/home/jindam/.gnus" nil t)
  load("~/.gnus" nil t)
  gnus-read-init-file()
  gnus-1(nil nil nil)
  gnus(nil)
  funcall-interactively(gnus nil)
  call-interactively(gnus record nil)
  command-execute(gnus record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "gnus" "gnus")
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "gnus" "gnus")
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)

(1) https://github.com/CypherpunkArmory/UserLAnd
(2) https://web.archive.org/web/20221122134120/https://gitlab.com/-/snippets/2461819/raw/main/.gnus.authinfo.getmail/getmailrc

** questions:
(1) is it mandatory to use getmail or fetchmail?
(2) how do i resolve gnus init error?

regards,
jindam, vani

toots: @jindam_vani@c.im
others: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jindam_vani

* Re: gnus-read-init-file: Error in ~/.gnus: disroot.org
@ 2022-11-22 17:26 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2022-11-22 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

vani writes:

> (setq smtpmail-auth-supported '(plain))")

This line looks weird - there is an extra ") at the end?

> ** questions:
> (1) is it mandatory to use getmail or fetchmail?

No. See https://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_84.html#Mail-Sources and
https://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_83.html#Using-IMAP depending on how you
want your email organized.

> (2) how do i resolve gnus init error?

Fix the syntax.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "It's such a sadness that you think you've seen a          Adam Sjøgren
  film on your fucking telephone. Get real."           asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: gnus-read-init-file: Error in ~/.gnus: disroot.org
@ 2022-11-22 18:10 ` jindam, vani
From: jindam, vani @ 2022-11-22 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren, info-gnus-english

November 22, 2022 at 5:26 PM, "Adam Sjøgren" <asjo@koldfront.dk> wrote:

> vani writes:
>

> > (setq smtpmail-auth-supported '(plain))")

fixed it.

> This line looks weird - there is an extra ") at the end?
>

> > ** questions:
> >  (1) is it mandatory to use getmail or fetchmail?
> >

> No. See https://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_84.html#Mail-Sources and
> https://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_83.html#Using-IMAP depending on how you
> want your email organized.

running M-x gnus has thrown another error:
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function nnimap)
obviously, it is my config error.
i did a quick glance & its already midnight.
so, i will read thoroughly tomorrow & try to
correct syntax.

once again, thank you

@ 2022-11-22 18:55   ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2022-11-22 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

vani writes:

> running M-x gnus has thrown another error:
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function nnimap)

Ok, then there's another problem in the configuration that I didn't spot
right away - feel free to share what your .gnus looks like again, and we
can try looking at it and see if we can spot the problem :-)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Nobody: My name is Xamichee, "he who talks loud           Adam Sjøgren
  say nothing.""                                       asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: gnus-read-init-file: Error in ~/.gnus: disroot.org
@ 2022-11-22 19:36 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2022-11-22 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

vani writes:

> (setq gnus-select-method
>       '(nnimap "disroot.org"))

  [...]

> (nnimap "disroot.org"
>         (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
>         (nnimap-split-methods default)
>         (nnimap-expunge t)
>         (nnimap-stream ssl))
>         (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")))

This part is misplaced - I think what you are looking for is something
like this:

    (setq gnus-select-method
          '(nnimap "disroot.org"
                   (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
                   (nnimap-split-methods default)
                   (nnimap-expunge t)
                   (nnimap-stream ssl)
                   (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")))

> (setq mail-sources
>     ’((file :path "/var/spool/mail/jindam.vani@disroot.org")
>        (imap :server "disroot.org"
>              :user "jindam.vani@disroot.org"
>              :port "993"
>              :password "password")))

You should _either_ use nnimap _or_ mail-sources, not both.

If you use nnimap, you are using IMAP "as intended", that is: email
lives and is manipulated on the mail-server.

If you, on the other hand, add "imap" to mail-sources, you will
basically be downloading emails to your local machine and removing them
from the mail-server.

If you are doing any of the above, you do not need to set up getmail.

If you set up getmail, you should ONLY set up the file-part of
mail-sources.

                                 · · ·

If I were you, I would start with setting up nnimap only. That way you
can still access your email using a different mail-client.

If nnimap gets annoying, then figure out another setup.

Start simple, get an idea of what you like and don't, then modify.

(I don't use nnimap, but I also have many weird old habits when it comes
to email :-))

I hope this helps a little!

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I never followed my dream, I always avoided my            Adam Sjøgren
  nightmares."                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: gnus-read-init-file: Error in ~/.gnus: disroot.org
@ 2022-11-22 21:11   ` Björn Bidar
From: Björn Bidar @ 2022-11-22 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

>> (nnimap "disroot.org"
>>         (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
>>         (nnimap-split-methods default)
>>         (nnimap-expunge t)
>>         (nnimap-stream ssl))
>>         (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")))
>
> This part is misplaced - I think what you are looking for is something
> like this:
>
>     (setq gnus-select-method
>           '(nnimap "disroot.org"
>                    (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
>                    (nnimap-split-methods default)
>                    (nnimap-expunge t)
>                    (nnimap-stream ssl)
>                    (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")))

You can use the argument after nnimap as the server name or as an
identifier.
If you do the second you have add (nnimap-address "imap.server.com")

I configure my select method like this:
       ;; this disables the first select method as I use only secondary methods.
       (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))
       (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
              '((nnimap "server"
                        (nnimap-address "imap.server.de")
                         ;; or whatever your inbox folder is
                        (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
                        (nnimap-user "yourloginname")
                        (nnimap-server-port 993)
                        (nnimap-stream ssl)
                        (nnmail-expiry-target "nnimap+thaodan.de:Trash"))

I can you use server side filtering such sieve don't define
nnimap-split-methods and set nnmail-splqit-methods to nil so Gnus doesn't
try to filter your mails.
The more you don't use more than one computer/client to access your mail
I can recommend not use Gnus to filter but use Sieve or what your mail
providers offers for server side filtering.

nnimap-authinfo-file doesn't exist anymore, I think since like 12 years
go around the time the netrc package  was replaced by auth-source.

You have to configure that like this:
;; Put authinfo.gpg first so new secrets will be stored there by default and not in plain text
(setq auth-sources '("~/.authinfo.gpg" "~/.authinfo" "~/.netrc"))
;; Don't ask to store credentials in .authinfo.gpg
(setq auth-source-save-behavior nil)

In case you use password-store (pass) you should also call:
(auth-source-pass-enable)

>If nnimap gets annoying, then figure out another setup.
>
>Start simple, get an idea of what you like and don't, then modify.
>
>(I don't use nnimap, but I also have many weird old habits when it comes
>to email :-))

Nnimap works quite fast, the only downside is that it doesn't run in the
background and articles are not fetched in parallel.
However is a general issue with Gnus.

I've heard setting up Gnus-agent might help.

I hope I could help a bit.

Br,

Björn

* Re: gnus-read-init-file: Error in ~/.gnus: disroot.org
@ 2022-11-23  5:21   ` jindam, vani
From: jindam, vani @ 2022-11-23  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren, info-gnus-english

November 22, 2022 at 6:56 PM, "Adam Sjøgren" <asjo@koldfront.dk> wrote:

> vani writes:
>

> > running M-x gnus has thrown another error:
> >  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function nnimap)

i intentionally did not provided full log:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function nnimap)
  (nnimap "disroot.org" (nnimap-inbox "INBOX") (nnimap-split-methods default) (nnimap-expunge t) (nnimap-stream ssl))
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/home/jindam/.gnus" nil t)  ; Reading at buffer position 440
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/jindam/.gnus" "/home/jindam/.gnus" nil t)
  load("~/.gnus" nil t)
  gnus-read-init-file()
  gnus-1(nil nil nil)
  gnus(nil)
  funcall-interactively(gnus nil)
  call-interactively(gnus record nil)
  command-execute(gnus record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "gnus" "gnus")
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "gnus" "gnus")
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)

excuse....

@ 2022-11-23  5:25     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-11-23  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

jindam, vani wrote:

> i intentionally did not provided full log

See, Gnus _is_ a fake news client!

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: gnus-read-init-file: Error in ~/.gnus: disroot.org
@ 2022-11-23 17:47     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-11-23 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

"jindam, vani" <jindam.vani@disroot.org> writes:

> November 22, 2022 at 6:56 PM, "Adam Sjøgren" <asjo@koldfront.dk> wrote:
>

>> vani writes:
>>

>> > running M-x gnus has thrown another error:
>> >  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function nnimap)
>
> i intentionally did not provided full log:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function nnimap)
>   (nnimap "disroot.org" (nnimap-inbox "INBOX") (nnimap-split-methods
> default) (nnimap-expunge t) (nnimap-stream ssl))
>   eval-buffer(#<buffer *load*> nil "/home/jindam/.gnus" nil t) ;
> Reading at buffer position 440

You're missing a quote before this definition. However you've got it in
your init file, say if you're defining this as a part of
`gnus-secondary-select-methods', the value of that variable needs to be
quoted:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnimap "disroot.org" (nnimpa...

Note the quote before the value.