* Where in gnus manual is info about timers
@ 2022-01-15 19:43 hput via Announcements and discussions for GNUS, the GNU Emacs Usenet newsreader (in English)
From: hput via Announcements and discussions for GNUS, the GNU Emacs Usenet newsreader (in English) @ 2022-01-15 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I remember using timers in gnus long ago but cannot find anything in
the gnus manual about it now.  I search with the s search on timer and
found no hits.

Maybe an old hand here can point to something telling how find
something on using timers in gnus

* Re: Where in gnus manual is info about timers
@ 2022-01-15 21:04 ` Bodertz
From: Bodertz @ 2022-01-15 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

You might be looking for gnus-demon.

* Re: Where in gnus manual is info about timers
@ 2022-01-15 21:13 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2022-01-15 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

hput via writes:

> I remember using timers in gnus long ago but cannot find anything in
> the gnus manual about it now.

Maybe if you describe what you mean by "timers", somebody can help?

Are you thinking of daemons, that can be used to do stuff when Emacs is
inactive?

 · https://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_119.html#Daemons

Or are you thinking of delayed sending?

 · https://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_36.html#Delayed-Articles

Or something else?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Först kom ingenting                                       Adam Sjøgren
  Sen kom ingenting"                                   asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Where in gnus manual is info about timers
@ 2022-01-16 14:51   ` hput via Announcements and discussions for GNUS, the GNU Emacs Usenet newsreader (in English)
From: hput via Announcements and discussions for GNUS, the GNU Emacs Usenet newsreader (in English) @ 2022-01-16 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

>> I remember using timers in gnus long ago but cannot find anything in
>> the gnus manual about it now.
>
> Maybe if you describe what you mean by "timers", somebody can help?
>
> Are you thinking of daemons, that can be used to do stuff when Emacs is
> inactive?
>
>  · https://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_119.html#Daemons
>
> Or are you thinking of delayed sending?
>
>  · https://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_36.html#Delayed-Articles

[...]

Both of you hit dead on.  Thanks for understanding my really bad
description of what I wanted.

* Re: Where in gnus manual is info about timers
@ 2022-01-16 16:02   ` hput via Announcements and discussions for GNUS, the GNU Emacs Usenet newsreader (in English)
From: hput via Announcements and discussions for GNUS, the GNU Emacs Usenet newsreader (in English) @ 2022-01-16 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Bodertz <bodertz@gmail.com> writes:

> You might be looking for gnus-demon.

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

[...]

> Are you thinking of daemons, that can be used to do stuff when Emacs is
> inactive?
>
>  · https://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_119.html#Daemons

[...]

No wonder I wasn't finding it using `timer' to search . . .

Ok, now you've steered me to Lars' description... but being an elisp
ignoramus of long standing ... I'm drawing blanks about how to write
the handler I'm after.

First, understand, I have a continuous terrible time even using gnus
anymore.  It seems my connection to news.gmane.io is so tenuous that
if I read for even a minute my connection closes or stagnates or
something so if I try to move to another message in gnus it just draws
the `gnus busy' thing and no further action is possible until I close
and reopen the server.

Or, more accurately stated; closing the server prompts gnus to reopen
it I guess.

traceroute shows a long string or `* * *' in midst of tracing my route
to news.gmane.io .. I guess its bad enough that it has to be
constantly refreshed manually.

Makes it a real grind to use gnus.

Before Eric posted the code below:

 I'd have to go to server buffer and close then open the server.  Or
even restart gnus entirely with `R'.

some time ago:
Erica A;  on gmane.emacs.gnus.general posted this:

   (dolist (elem gnus-opened-servers)
     (gnus-close-server (car elem)))

If I eval that it will allow me to proceed in gnus in a few seconds.
But then when I read anything or pause a while it needs manual
attention again.

So, I think I would like to combine the `dolist' with a gnus-daemon-handler
similar to the example larsi gave:

(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-close-connections 30 t)

Long ago I had at least two daemon handlers in ~/.gnus but over time
I've lost track of them.

Just having a hell of a time figuring out how to combine a gnus daemon handler
with:

 (dolist (elem gnus-opened-servers)
  (gnus-close-server (car elem)))

Hopefully someone will be willing to take a stab at it and I can see how
to go about it.

* Re: Where in gnus manual is info about timers
@ 2022-01-16 22:31     ` Bodertz
From: Bodertz @ 2022-01-16 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I think you just need to make it a function.

  (gnus-demon-init)

  (defun my-gnus-close-servers ()
    (dolist (elem gnus-opened-servers)
     (gnus-close-server (car elem))))

  (gnus-demon-add-handler #'my-gnus-close-servers 30 t)

I haven't tested that, though.

* Re: Where in gnus manual is info about timers
@ 2022-01-17 18:37       ` hput
From: hput @ 2022-01-17 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bodertz; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Bodertz <bodertz@gmail.com> writes:

> I think you just need to make it a function.
>
>   (gnus-demon-init)
>
>   (defun my-gnus-close-servers ()
>     (dolist (elem gnus-opened-servers)
>      (gnus-close-server (car elem))))
>
>   (gnus-demon-add-handler #'my-gnus-close-servers 30 t)
>

> I haven't tested that, though.

very nice, thank you.

I'm trying it now... so far it evals with no problem

I'm not really sure how to tell if its working... I guess the best
test will be to see if the server remains usable with that started.