* Editing name of a doc group
@ 2022-01-01  8:44 Colin Baxter 😺
From: Colin Baxter 😺 @ 2022-01-01  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I have a doc group which appears in the Group buffer with the long
name of

nndoc+/full/path/to/filename:.filename

How can I shorten this to say "nndoc+:filename"? I've tried editing with Gp,
GE but to no effect.

I assume I must add something to my ~/.gnus.el so I'd appreciate some
pointers as to what is required.

Thanks.

Best wishes,

Colin Baxter.

* Re: Editing name of a doc group
@ 2022-01-04  4:25 ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2022-01-04  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter 😺; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Colin Baxter 😺 <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

> I have a doc group which appears in the Group buffer with the long
> name of
>
> nndoc+/full/path/to/filename:.filename
>
> How can I shorten this to say "nndoc+:filename"? I've tried editing with Gp,
> GE but to no effect.

If I understand your question correctly, you can do something
like I do with group-name-map:

(setq group-name-map '(("nnimap+imap.gmail.com:INBOX" . "Inbox")
                       ("nnimap+imap.gmail.com:[Gmail]/All Mail"
                       . "All Mail")
                       ("nnimap+imap.gmail.com:[Gmail]/Sent Mail"
                       . "Sent Mail")
                       ("nnimap+imap.gmail.com:[Gmail]/Drafts"
                       . "Drafts") ("nnimap+imap.gmail.com:teatrader"
                       . "Tea Trader")
               .... etc.  ... ))
--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

- Via GNU/Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB

* Re: Editing name of a doc group
@ 2022-01-04  8:28   ` Colin Baxter 😺
From: Colin Baxter 😺 @ 2022-01-04  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell; +Cc: , info-gnus-english

Dear Bob,

    > Colin Baxter 😺 <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

    >> I have a doc group which appears in the Group buffer with the
    >> long name of
    >>
    >> nndoc+/full/path/to/filename:.filename
    >>
    >> How can I shorten this to say "nndoc+:filename"? I've tried
    >> editing with Gp, GE but to no effect.

    > If I understand your question correctly, you can do something like
    > I do with group-name-map:

    > (setq group-name-map '(("nnimap+imap.gmail.com:INBOX" . "Inbox")
    > ("nnimap+imap.gmail.com:[Gmail]/All Mail" . "All Mail")
    > ("nnimap+imap.gmail.com:[Gmail]/Sent Mail" . "Sent Mail")
    > ("nnimap+imap.gmail.com:[Gmail]/Drafts" . "Drafts")
    > ("nnimap+imap.gmail.com:teatrader" . "Tea Trader") .... etc.

Thank you for the reply. Your suggestion didn't work for me, but led
instead to some "try-it-and-see" work and ultimately to the
solution. All I had to do was to change the gnus-group-line-format
variable. I had used `g' - the "Qualified group name". I altered it to
'G' - the "Group name" - which gave a nicely shorted display name.

Thanks again.

Best wishes,

Colin.