* Re: installation validation
       [not found] <mailman.1404.1334408515.20052.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2012-06-10 19:27 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-06-10 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> writes:

> I imagine, say, ‘M-x validate-gnus-installation RET’ to either
> display a message "Everything OK" or pop up a buffer w/ some
> diagnostic info that might help to track down the "mysterious"
> goings on.
>
> Dare i hope for such a beast to exist?

It's a mythical beast, I'm afraid.

> Presuming the answer is "no, until Someone writes it", the
> next questions are:
> - How would i go about diagnosing the current situation?
> - What would be the best way to repair the Mail and News
>   dirs and restore mail-retrieval functionality?

You're getting internal IMAP server errors, and I'm not sure that
whatever Gnus does, that should be the result.  Did anybody upgrade the
IMAP server or something?

* Re: installation validation
@ 2012-06-10 20:54   ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2012-06-10 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

() Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
() Sun, 10 Jun 2012 21:27:00 +0200

   > - How would i go about diagnosing the current situation?
   > - What would be the best way to repair the Mail and News
   >   dirs and restore mail-retrieval functionality?

   You're getting internal IMAP server errors, and I'm not sure
   that whatever Gnus does, that should be the result.  Did
   anybody upgrade the IMAP server or something?

Maybe.  I think the situation resolved itself somehow, several
weeks (months?) back.  If it arises again, i'll try to take better
notes.

* installation validation
@ 2012-04-14 12:59 Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2012-04-14 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

A local Gnus user that i support did something "mysterious"
and now some of the nnml groups seem to be (i'm not sure)
agentized, or at least relocated from dir

  ~/Mail/mail

to dir

  ~/News/agent/nnml/unnamed/mail

Another (possibly unrelated) result is that attempts to retrieve
mail (using ‘g’) from one of the IMAP sources now consistently
shows "Mail source (DETAILS) error (IMAP error: Internal error
occurred. Error report written to server log [TIMESTAMP])".  Hmm...

I'd like to restore previous known-good state if possible.
How can i validate (for self-consistency and well-formedness)
the structure of the Mail and News subdirs?