* Own key bindings
@ 2009-12-22 16:07 Cecil Westerhof
       [not found] ` <mailman.5.1261507957.18930.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2009-12-22 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I am still learning to cope with GNUS. I stumbled on something about
defining your own key bindings. If I remember well the idea is that you
use 'v' for your own key bindings. But I can not find it anymore. Where
is this described?

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

* Re: Own key bindings
@ 2009-12-22 18:52 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found] ` <mailman.5.1261507957.18930.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-12-22 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:

Hi Cecil,

> I am still learning to cope with GNUS.

It's Gnus -- GNUS is its predecessor.

,----[ (info "(gnus)Misc Group Stuff") ]
| `v'
|      The key `v' is reserved for users.  You can bind it to some
|      command or better use it as a prefix key.  For example:
|
|           (define-key gnus-group-mode-map (kbd "v j d")
|             (lambda ()
|               (interactive)
|               (gnus-group-jump-to-group "nndraft:drafts")))
|
|      On keys reserved for users in Emacs and on keybindings in general
|      *Note Keymaps: (emacs)Keymaps.
`----

BTW: I've found that entry in 10 seconds like this.

     C-h i             ;; open info
     m gnus RET        ;; visit the Gnus docs
     C-s `v' C-s C-s   ;; Search for `v', repeat 2 times

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Own key bindings
       [not found] ` <mailman.5.1261507957.18930.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2009-12-23  8:19   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2009-12-23  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

>> I am still learning to cope with GNUS.
>
> It's Gnus -- GNUS is its predecessor.

I'll keep it in mind.

>>> I stumbled on something about defining your own key bindings. If I
>> remember well the idea is that you use 'v' for your own key bindings.
>> But I can not find it anymore.  Where is this described?
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Misc Group Stuff") ]
> | `v'
> |      The key `v' is reserved for users.  You can bind it to some
> |      command or better use it as a prefix key.  For example:
> |
> |           (define-key gnus-group-mode-map (kbd "v j d")
> |             (lambda ()
> |               (interactive)
> |               (gnus-group-jump-to-group "nndraft:drafts")))
> |
> |      On keys reserved for users in Emacs and on keybindings in general
> |      *Note Keymaps: (emacs)Keymaps.
> `----
>
> BTW: I've found that entry in 10 seconds like this.
>
>      C-h i             ;; open info
>      m gnus RET        ;; visit the Gnus docs
>      C-s `v' C-s C-s   ;; Search for `v', repeat 2 times

Thanks. In my version (Gnus v5.11) 'v' is not found, but I should try
info more often as Google.

The first key binding I defined is:
    (define-key gnus-group-mode-map (kbd "v f")
      (lambda ()
        (interactive)
        (beginning-of-buffer)
        (gnus-group-next-unread-group 1)))

So with 'v f' I go to the first unread group.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

* Re: Own key bindings
@ 2009-12-23 11:51   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2009-12-23 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, Dec 22 2009, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> BTW: I've found that entry in 10 seconds like this.
>
>      C-h i             ;; open info
>      m gnus RET        ;; visit the Gnus docs
>      C-s `v' C-s C-s   ;; Search for `v', repeat 2 times

Or do an index search: "reserved keys" -> `i reserved', `,', `,'
... will find these:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Index") ]
| * keys, reserved for users (Article):    Article Keymap.      (line  12)
| * keys, reserved for users (Group):      Misc Group Stuff.    (line  15)
| * keys, reserved for users (Server):     Server Commands.     (line   7)
| * keys, reserved for users (Summary):    Summary Buffer.      (line  18)
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Own key bindings
@ 2009-12-23 23:02     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-12-23 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:

Hi Cecil,

>> BTW: I've found that entry in 10 seconds like this.
>>
>>      C-h i             ;; open info
>>      m gnus RET        ;; visit the Gnus docs
>>      C-s `v' C-s C-s   ;; Search for `v', repeat 2 times
>
> Thanks. In my version (Gnus v5.11) 'v' is not found, but I should try
> info more often as Google.

It's not found, because it's `v', not 'v' (backquote, not quote).

Bye,
Tassilo