* apple mail 9 MIME
@ 2006-12-26  8:21 Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-12-26  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

A quick question to save me having to try things out.....

I've been using VM for years for my e-mail. However, VM is no longer
as actively maintained as it was and I'm now finding I'm having
problems accessing attachments posted with apple mail. It seems these
attachments are embedded inside some html and VM doesn't see them.

So, I'm after a new mail reader. I'm wondering if gnus will be able to
recognise and extract attachments from apple mail. Here is an example

> --Apple-Mail-9--626804718

> --Apple-Mail-10--626804717

> <HTML><BODY style="word-wrap: break-word; -khtml-nbsp-mode: space; -khtml-line-break: after-white-space; ">Tim,<DIV>The first of three files. You will need to reassemble in word and regenerate the index.</DIV><DIV>Stephen Colbran<BR> <SPAN class="Apple-style-span" style="border-collapse: separate; border-spacing: 0px 0px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-align: auto; -khtml-text-decorations-in-effect: none; text-indent: 0px; -apple-text-size-adjust: auto; text-transform: none; orphans: 2; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; "><DIV><SPAN></SPAN></DIV></SPAN></DIV></BODY></HTML>
> --Apple-Mail-10--626804717
> CONTENT-TRANSFER-ENCODING: base64

<encoded data follows>

The example above has an earlier "text" part, which VM displays fine,
but it provides no button to extract the attachment. I don't seem to
have any other problems with MIME messages except from apple mail. If
anyone can confirm that apple mail attachments can be easily
accessed/saved from within gnus, I'd appreciate it.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: apple mail 9 MIME
@ 2006-12-28 20:32 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-12-28 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Dec 26 2006, Tim X wrote:

> The example above has an earlier "text" part, which VM displays fine,
> but it provides no button to extract the attachment. I don't seem to
> have any other problems with MIME messages except from apple mail. If
> anyone can confirm that apple mail attachments can be easily
> accessed/saved from within gnus, I'd appreciate it.

Gnus handles attachment quite well (unless the size is comes close to
`most-positive-fixnum').  I can't confirm that "apple mail 9 MIME"
works, though.  Maybe you can send a test mail with such an attachment
to the test group on Gmane: <gmane-test (at) hawk.netfonds.no> (or ask
your correspondent to do it).  Be sure not to attach any private /
sensitive file.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: apple mail 9 MIME
@ 2006-12-28 23:33   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-12-28 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Tue, Dec 26 2006, Tim X wrote:
>
>> The example above has an earlier "text" part, which VM displays fine,
>> but it provides no button to extract the attachment. I don't seem to
>> have any other problems with MIME messages except from apple mail. If
>> anyone can confirm that apple mail attachments can be easily
>> accessed/saved from within gnus, I'd appreciate it.
>
> Gnus handles attachment quite well (unless the size is comes close to
> `most-positive-fixnum').  I can't confirm that "apple mail 9 MIME"
> works, though.  Maybe you can send a test mail with such an attachment
> to the test group on Gmane: <gmane-test (at) hawk.netfonds.no> (or ask
> your correspondent to do it).  Be sure not to attach any private /
> sensitive file.
>
> Bye, Reiner.
> --
Thanks Reiner. When one of them returns from the break I might get
them to do that.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au