* Gnus and Gmail
@ 2006-11-24 17:18 Angelina Carlton
From: Angelina Carlton @ 2006-11-24 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
I would like to send and receive all my gmail without having to use a
webrowser and to use Gnus instead.

I have configured fetchmail to receive my gmail and drop it in my mail
spool and Gnus can read this without a problem.

The only problem now is sending from the gmail account.
First I need to make it appear that I am using the gmail account when
replying to mail originating from gmail.

As I understand it, I can use a posting-style for this? Does this look
correct?

,----
| (setq gnus-posting-styles
|    '((".*"
|       (name "Angelina Carlton")
|       (address "debian@magma.ca")
|       (signature-file "/home/orchid/.signature"))
|      ("^nnml.*gmail"
|       (name "bzgirl")
|       (address "bzgirl@gmail.com")
|       (signature-file "/home/orchid/.signature.bzgirl"))))
`----

The next step is much harder for me to figure out, I found a guide on
the internet (http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~terjeros/wiki/GnusGmail) and use this:

,----
| ;; gmail
| (defun fs-change-smtp ()
|   "Change the SMTP server according to the current from line."
|   (save-excursion
|     (let ((from
|            (save-restriction
|              (message-narrow-to-headers)
|              (message-fetch-field "from"))))
|       (message "From is `%s', setting `smtpmail-smtp-server' to `%s'"
|                from
|                (cond
|                 ((string-match "bzgirl@gmail.com" from)
|                   ;; Use stmp-auth
|                   (message "Using smtp-auth")
|                    ;; Sending mail
|                    (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
|                     (setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 465 nil nil)))
|                      (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 465 "bzgirl@gmail.com" "PASSWORD)")))
|                       (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
|                        (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
|                         (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 465))
|                 ((string-match "bzgirl@example.org" from)
|                   ;; Use local sendmail
|                   (message "Using local sendmail")
|                    (setq message-send-mail-function `message-send-mail-with-sendmail))
|                 (t
|                   (error
|                      (concat "Don't know which mail server to use for "
|                                from)))))))
|     (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'fs-change-smtp)
`----

I think the posting style works (haven't been able to send a test mail to
check) because the headers look right, but when I issue C-c C-c gnus
then hangs with the message "Sending Mail..." in the mini-buffer.

--
-----Angelina Carlton-----
orchid on irc.freenode.net

* Re: Gnus and Gmail
@ 2006-11-24 17:51 ` Brep
From: Brep @ 2006-11-24 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Angelina Carlton <debian@magma.ca> writes:

[...]

> I think the posting style works (haven't been able to send a test mail to
> check) because the headers look right, but when I issue C-c C-c gnus
> then hangs with the message "Sending Mail..." in the mini-buffer.

Install Gnutls-bin or starttls, gnus need one of them to handle ssl/tls
connection.

* Re: Gnus and Gmail
@ 2006-11-24 19:20   ` Angelina Carlton
                       ` (5 more replies)
From: Angelina Carlton @ 2006-11-24 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have both of those utilities installed.
Now it hangs after re-writing the address..

If I then C-g gnus will hang on the sending of the mail..
Sending via mail...

Is there a way to make this process more verbose?
debugging messages or something?
There is smtp buffer after I C-g the second time but it only contains
QUIT^M or something like that.

--
-----Angelina Carlton-----
orchid on irc.freenode.net

* Re: Gnus and Gmail
@ 2006-11-24 19:31     ` Brep
                       ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Brep @ 2006-11-24 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Angelina Carlton <debian@magma.ca> writes:

> Is there a way to make this process more verbose?
> debugging messages or something?

(setq smtpmail-debug-info t)

--
荣华我已知庄梦
忠愤人将谓杞忧

* Re: Gnus and Gmail
@ 2006-11-24 19:40     ` Brep
                       ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Brep @ 2006-11-24 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Angelina Carlton <debian@magma.ca> writes:

> If I then C-g gnus will hang on the sending of the mail..
> Sending via mail...

by the way, gmail's smtp connection is unacceptable slow in the past few
month, at least from where I am, it take's several minites to send a
simple mail, I have to quit to use gmail's smtp sever.

--
荣华我已知庄梦
忠愤人将谓杞忧

* Re: Gnus and Gmail
@ 2006-11-24 19:46     ` Leo
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Leo @ 2006-11-24 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, 24 Nov 2006, Angelina Carlton wrote:

> I have both of those utilities installed.
> Now it hangs after re-writing the address..
>
> If I then C-g gnus will hang on the sending of the mail..
> Sending via mail...
>
> Is there a way to make this process more verbose?
> debugging messages or something?
> There is smtp buffer after I C-g the second time but it only contains
> QUIT^M or something like that.

In addition to Brep's reply, you might also be helpful to enable
debug-on-quit:

,----[ C-h f toggle-debug-on-quit RET ]

`----

--
Leo

* Re: Gnus and Gmail
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-11-25 13:58     ` Hadron Quark
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1102.1164473065.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-11-25 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Angelina Carlton <debian@magma.ca> writes:

> I have both of those utilities installed.
> Now it hangs after re-writing the address..
>
> If I then C-g gnus will hang on the sending of the mail..
> Sending via mail...
>
> Is there a way to make this process more verbose?
> debugging messages or something?
> There is smtp buffer after I C-g the second time but it only contains
> QUIT^M or something like that.

I too had a nightmare with this.

Upgrade to emacs-snapshot if you are using ubuntu, else google up
building from CVS.

* Re: Gnus and Gmail
                       ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-11-25 16:40     ` Shanks N
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1102.1164473065.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Shanks N @ 2006-11-25 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Angelina Carlton <debian@magma.ca> writes:

> I have both of those utilities installed.
> Now it hangs after re-writing the address..
>
> If I then C-g gnus will hang on the sending of the mail..
> Sending via mail...
>
> Is there a way to make this process more verbose?
> debugging messages or something?
> There is smtp buffer after I C-g the second time but it only contains
> QUIT^M or something like that.

Have you tried with msmtp?  Admittedly mine is on Windows/cygwin and
with the following setup, I'm able to send and receive emails through
Gnus and gmail.  For sending emails, with the following msmtprc.txt
file, and setting the same in emacs, I was able to send emails.

And on the gnus.general list, there was a patch offered to message.el
so that it can take extra args to handle the posting styles issue for
msmtp.

#msmtprc.txt
account default
host smtp.gmail.com
auth on
user dumo@gmail.com
password xxxxxx
port 587
tls on
logfile c:\msmtplog.txt

No Gnus v0.6
GNU Emacs 22.0.50.2 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2005-04-17 on LAPTOP

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnml ""))
;;;;use this if you have gnutls-cli installed
(setq mail-sources
      '((pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
             :port 995
             :user "dumo@gmail.com"
             :password "xxxxxx"
             :stream ssl)))
;;;;use this if you have fetchmail installed
;;(eval-after-load "mail-source"
;;  '(add-to-list 'mail-sources '(file :path "/var/spool/mail/dumo")))

;;if retrieving from spool, delete temp file after 1 days
(setq mail-source-delete-incoming 1)
(setq mail-source-delete-old-incoming-confirm nil)
(eval-after-load "mail-source" '(require 'pop3))
(setq sendmail-program "c:/gnu/bin/msmtp.exe")
;; (setq starttls-gnutls-program "/usr/bin/gnutls-cli")
;; (setq starttls-use-gnutls t)
;; (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
;; (setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil)))
;; (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 "dumo@gmail.com" "xxxxxx")))
;; (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
;; (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
;; (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587)

(setq mail-host-address "gmail.com")
(setq smtpmail-debug-info t) ; only to debug problems set to t if needed
(setq smtpmail-debug-verb t)
;;;set the level of messages really high
(setq gnus-verbose 10)
(setq gnus-verbose-backends 10)

Sending from Gnus with gnutls didn't work but it appears to be a known
problem in Windows.  At least from what was posted in the gnutls
list.

In summary, you can post through the combination of Gnus + msmtp and
receive mails  through Gnus  + gnutls-cli or Gnus + fetchmail.

This is on windows where things *nix don't play so well, even with
cygwin installed.  So, if you're on a *nix platform, things should be
that much easier.

regards,
Shanks

* Re: Gnus and Gmail
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1102.1164473065.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2006-11-27  1:26       ` Angelina Carlton
From: Angelina Carlton @ 2006-11-27  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shanks N <shanks.n@gmail.com> writes:

> Have you tried with msmtp?  Admittedly mine is on Windows/cygwin and
> with the following setup, I'm able to send and receive emails through
> Gnus and gmail.  For sending emails, with the following msmtprc.txt
> file, and setting the same in emacs, I was able to send emails.
>
> And on the gnus.general list, there was a patch offered to message.el
> so that it can take extra args to handle the posting styles issue for
> msmtp.

This did the trick thanks! I installed msmtp and set a config file
like you suggested and everything now works, thank you again.
--
-----Angelina Carlton-----
orchid on irc.freenode.net

* Re: Gnus and Gmail
@ 2009-03-09 10:48   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-03-09 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

"parmenides" <mobile.parmenides@gmail.com> writes:

> I just resolved the configuration problem this morning. Actually, you can
> google many articles concerning how to configure IMAP of gmail. In my
> opinion, it 's very critical that there is an installation of 'openssl', a
> program designed to do ssl connection between client and server, in you
> system.
>
> I am using Emacs-22.3-win and openssl of cygwin.
>
> Good luck.

This gmail interfacing never seems to run smoothly - it might be nice if
you can (or maybe you have already) update the emacs wiki with your
config. It, or rather that issue, does seem to rear its ugly head an
awful lot. I have vague memories of starttls on a debian being an issue
but really cant remember how I got it working. That combined with my
dynamic IP being blacklisted! I don't use gmail directly from gnus
anymore and prefer to run my own imap server which is fed by getmail.

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation of the evils and damages by the technology of yesterday.  ~Dennis Gabor, Innovations:  Scientific, Technological and Social, 1970

* Re: Gnus and Gmail
       [not found] <mailman.2141.1235931707.31690.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2009-03-09  6:37 ` parmenides
From: parmenides @ 2009-03-09  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I just resolved the configuration problem this morning. Actually, you can
google many articles concerning how to configure IMAP of gmail. In my
opinion, it 's very critical that there is an installation of 'openssl', a
program designed to do ssl connection between client and server, in you
system.

I am using Emacs-22.3-win and openssl of cygwin.

Good luck.

"Byung-Hee HWANG" <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:mailman.2141.1235931707.31690.info-gnus-english@gnu.org...
> Hello i'm newbie for Gnus. Does people use Gmail(imap) on Gnus? If it is
> possible, how can i use Gmail? FYI, i use another host for sending mail.
> So i need only imap setting for now.
>
> byunghee

* Re: Gnus and Gmail
@ 2009-03-01 18:44   ` Byung-Hee HWANG
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2009-03-01 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrzej Adam Filip; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
> Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr> wrote:
>
>> Hello i'm newbie for Gnus. Does people use Gmail(imap) on Gnus? If it
>> is possible, how can i use Gmail? FYI, i use another host for sending
>> mail. So i need only imap setting for now.
>>
>> byunghee
>
> Have you read/tried the link below?
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail
> GnusGmail

Oh.. thank you so much!

@ 2009-03-01 18:34 ` Andrzej Adam Filip
From: Andrzej Adam Filip @ 2009-03-01 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr> wrote:

> Hello i'm newbie for Gnus. Does people use Gmail(imap) on Gnus? If it
> is possible, how can i use Gmail? FYI, i use another host for sending
> mail. So i need only imap setting for now.
>
> byunghee

Have you read/tried the link below?

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail
GnusGmail

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@onet.eu : anfi@xl.wp.pl
I finally went to the eye doctor.  I got contacts.  I only need them to

* Gnus and Gmail
@ 2009-03-01 18:21 Byung-Hee HWANG
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2009-03-01 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

@ 2006-12-03 15:39 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2006-12-03 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday,  3 Dec 2006, Guillaume wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a new gnus user and have some problems with Gmail...
> I can't get my mail from my Gmail box using Gnus. I don't want to use neither
> fetchmail nor procmail  but just Gnus.
> Thanks for your help.

Check this out:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnusGmail

--
Leo

* Gnus and Gmail
@ 2006-12-03 12:08 Guillaume
From: Guillaume @ 2006-12-03 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm a new gnus user and have some problems with Gmail...
I can't get my mail from my Gmail box using Gnus. I don't want to use neither
fetchmail nor procmail  but just Gnus.
Thanks for your help.

* gnus and gmail
@ 2006-01-15  9:52 lucius
From: lucius @ 2006-01-15  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all!
I'd like to know whether someone knows about a way to read gmail
mails without using pop. I'm looking for something which lets you
browse your email account as it was on an imap server.
I think it would be possible to have an el file which browses
the html interface of gmail,
or use the gmail api.
Any ideas?
Thanks