* Bug? Extra whitespace in split subject lines in summary buffer
@ 2006-06-15 22:43 Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-06-15 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use Gnus from emacs CVS.

If an article header contains a split subject line like this (where the second
line is indented by a TAB):

Subject: patch: bugfixes in rcirc.el (rcirc-default-user-full-name,
	rcirc-process-list)

the summary buffer replaces the TAB by 3-4 spaces, like this:

    31-May [  84: Daniel Brockman     ] patch: bugfixes in rcirc.el (rcirc-default-user-full-name,   rcirc-process-list)

Is this intentional?  Is there any way to fix it.

I tried setting gnus-simplify-subject-functions, but it has no effect.

* Re: Bug? Extra whitespace in split subject lines in summary buffer
@ 2006-06-16  4:27 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2006-06-16  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I use Gnus from emacs CVS.

> If an article header contains a split subject line like this (where the second
> line is indented by a TAB):

> Subject: patch: bugfixes in rcirc.el (rcirc-default-user-full-name,
> 	rcirc-process-list)

> the summary buffer replaces the TAB by 3-4 spaces, like this:

>     31-May [  84: Daniel Brockman     ] patch: bugfixes in rcirc.el (rcirc-default-user-full-name,   rcirc-process-list)

I often look at such ones in the nntp groups.  It seems to be
due to the INN server, that replaces LWSPs with a couple of
spaces when generating NOV databases.  I believe it never
happens with the other back ends which generate NOV, such as
nnml.  Though it might sometimes happen between ASCII words and
RFC2047-encoded words.

> Is this intentional?

Maybe yes, in the sense that Gnus assumes that data in NOV have
already been cooked, since the summary lines generation should
be fast anyway.  It will be better that Gnus does nothing with
data in NOV if possible, except for RFC2047-decoding.

> Is there any way to fix it.

There are several ways to do that if you don't mind that it
might slow Gnus.  Here are two examples:

;; 1
(setq gnus-decode-encoded-word-function
      (byte-compile
       (lambda (string)
	 (replace-regexp-in-string
	  "  +" " "
	  (mail-decode-encoded-word-string string)))))

;; 2
(eval-after-load "gnus-sum"
  '(progn
     (setcar
      (cdr (assq ?S gnus-summary-line-format-alist))
      `(replace-regexp-in-string
	"  +" " "
	,(macroexpand '(mail-header-subject gnus-tmp-header))))
     (gnus-update-format-specifications t 'summary)))

> I tried setting gnus-simplify-subject-functions, but it has no effect.

It is used for other purposes: to test whether two subjects are
alike, for instance.

* Re: Bug? Extra whitespace in split subject lines in summary buffer
@ 2006-06-16  9:41   ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-06-16  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>>     31-May [  84: Daniel Brockman     ] patch: bugfixes in rcirc.el (rcirc-default-user-full-name,   rcirc-process-list)
>
> I often look at such ones in the nntp groups.  It seems to be
> due to the INN server, that replaces LWSPs with a couple of
> spaces when generating NOV databases.

This is with groups read from gmane.org -- I don't think it uses INN
anymore.

>> Is this intentional?
>
> Maybe yes, in the sense that Gnus assumes that data in NOV have
> already been cooked [...]

I see.  Thanks.

This also explains why I didn't notice this problem before...

... it must have started some moons ago, when I switched from
subscribing to the mailing lists to reading the lists on gmane.org.

> There are several ways to do that if you don't mind that it
> might slow Gnus.  Here are two examples:

Thanks.  I'll try those.

But I also hope that Lars will fix this on gmane.

>> I tried setting gnus-simplify-subject-functions, but it has no effect.
>
> It is used for other purposes: to test whether two subjects are
> alike, for instance.

IMO, the documentation for gnus-simplify-subject-functions
needs clarification.  It just says "... that simpilifes subjects",
but not the circumstances where the simplified subject is used.

* Re: Bug? Extra whitespace in split subject lines in summary buffer
@ 2006-06-16 15:40     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2006-06-16 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:41:07 +0200, Kim wrote:

> This is with groups read from gmane.org -- I don't think it uses INN
> anymore.

Gmane still uses INN.

 $ echo "quit" | nc news.gmane.org nntp | grep 200
 200 news.gmane.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.4.1 ready (posting ok).
 $

  Best regards,

--
 "There's such a glut of celebrities that they'll soon        Adam Sjøgren
  have to begin storing the surplus in silos in Iowa."   asjo@koldfront.dk