* How Do I Suppress Header Encoding For Some Groups?
@ 2005-07-10  4:25 Steven Woody
From: Steven Woody @ 2005-07-10  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

if I type in non-ascii characters in the Subject line, gnus will
automatically encode it as something like ?gb2312?Q%##@%# when the article is
really sent out.  this is okay for most cases and absolutely necessary for
email.

but, i need to access some private groups, which got a bi-direction interface
between web and usenet, so every article i posted will get display on web, and
vice versa.  the problem is that, their web engineer can not render the encoded
header correctly, hence my subject line will not get read by other users who
prefer to web.

is there any way letting me suppress header encoding for some groups or for a
specific nntp server.

thanks in advance.

-
narke

* Re: How Do I Suppress Header Encoding For Some Groups?
@ 2005-07-11 21:02 ` Steven Woody
From: Steven Woody @ 2005-07-11 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steven Woody <anti-spam.narkewoody@gmail.com.dont-post-to> writes:

> if I type in non-ascii characters in the Subject line, gnus will
> automatically encode it as something like ?gb2312?Q%##@%# when the article is
> really sent out.  this is okay for most cases and absolutely necessary for
> email.
>
> but, i need to access some private groups, which got a bi-direction interface
> between web and usenet, so every article i posted will get display on web, and
> vice versa.  the problem is that, their web engineer can not render the encoded
> header correctly, hence my subject line will not get read by other users who
> prefer to web.
>
> is there any way letting me suppress header encoding for some groups or for a
> specific nntp server.
>

> thanks in advance.
>

> -
> narke

is there anyone get a clue? please.

-

@ 2005-07-11 22:52   ` Aidan Kehoe
From: Aidan Kehoe @ 2005-07-11 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Ar an dara lá déag de mí Iúil, scríobh Steven Woody:

 > Steven Woody <anti-spam.narkewoody@gmail.com.dont-post-to> writes:
 >
 > > if I type in non-ascii characters in the Subject line, gnus will
 > > automatically encode it as something like ?gb2312?Q%##@%# when the
 > > article is really sent out.  this is okay for most cases and absolutely
 > > necessary for email.
 > >
 > > but, i need to access some private groups, which got a bi-direction
 > > interface between web and usenet, so every article i posted will get
 > > display on web, and vice versa.  the problem is that, their web
 > > engineer can not render the encoded header correctly, hence my subject
 > > line will not get read by other users who prefer to web.

There is no other way standard way to encode those headers, for non-ASCII
text, besides RFC 2047 encoding, the process you’ve asked how to
suppress. (And even that standard is only applied to Usenet by a process of
widespread looking-the-other-way.)  So, what you’re asking is “this text is
illegible because some web archiving software is broken. How do I make it
illegible (perhaps in a different way, but I haven’t specified if that’s
necessary)?” Not a very constructive question.

This piece of advice will transform all non-ASCII characters in the relevant
headers to a full stop, and may be enough for you if you add it to your
initialisation file:

(defadvice rfc2047-encode-message-header
  (before my-rfc2047-encode-message-header-change activate)
  "Replace non-ASCII characters in the headers with . if the region contains
soc.culture.china.  "
  (goto-char (point-min))
  (while (re-search-forward "[^\001-\177]" nil t)
    (replace-match ".")))

But I can’t read minds. What you should be doing is telling the maintainers
of the web archive software to fix their program.

--
Russian has no phoneme that corresponds directly to Germanic /h/. As a
result, for a not-insignificant number of people, the Second World War

* Re: How Do I Suppress Header Encoding For Some Groups?
@ 2005-07-11 22:54     ` Aidan Kehoe
From: Aidan Kehoe @ 2005-07-11 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Ar an t-aonú lá déag de mí Iúil, scríobh Aidan Kehoe:

 > This piece of advice will transform all non-ASCII characters in the relevant
 > headers to a full stop, and may be enough for you if you add it to your
 > initialisation file:
 >
 > [...]
 >   "Replace non-ASCII characters in the headers with . if the region contains
 > soc.culture.china.  "

And note that my docstring is wrong; the function doesn’t even mention
soc.culture.china outside it.

--

@ 2005-07-12  3:43     ` Steven Woody
From: Steven Woody @ 2005-07-12  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net> writes:

> There is no other way standard way to encode those headers, for non-ASCII
> text, besides RFC 2047 encoding, the process you’ve asked how to
> suppress. (And even that standard is only applied to Usenet by a process of
> widespread looking-the-other-way.)  So, what you’re asking is “this text is
> illegible because some web archiving software is broken. How do I make it
> illegible (perhaps in a different way, but I haven’t specified if that’s
> necessary)?” Not a very constructive question.
>
> This piece of advice will transform all non-ASCII characters in the relevant
> headers to a full stop, and may be enough for you if you add it to your
> initialisation file:
>
> (defadvice rfc2047-encode-message-header
>   (before my-rfc2047-encode-message-header-change activate)
>   "Replace non-ASCII characters in the headers with . if the region contains
> soc.culture.china.  "
>   (goto-char (point-min))
>   (while (re-search-forward "[^\001-\177]" nil t)
>     (replace-match ".")))

this method is not practical for what i mentioned no-ascii characters are
actually chinese, my native language. ;-(

> But I can’t read minds. What you should be doing is telling the maintainers
> of the web archive software to fix their program.

they refused to do that and provided a 'good' reason, microsoft outloop
express, which is a popluar newsreader, does not encode the header (actually
the subject line), so their web archive works fine with it.

-

@ 2005-07-12 20:19       ` Aidan Kehoe
From: Aidan Kehoe @ 2005-07-12 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Ar an dara lá déag de mí Iúil, scríobh Steven Woody:

 > [...] this method is not practical for what i mentioned no-ascii
 > characters are actually chinese, my native language. ;-(
 >
 > > But I canÕt read minds. What you should be doing is telling the
 > > maintainers of the web archive software to fix their program.
 >
 > they refused to do that and provided a 'good' reason, microsoft outloop
 > express, which is a popluar newsreader, does not encode the header (actually
 > the subject line), so their web archive works fine with it.

If it’s “not encoding” the subject line, then it’s sending it as UTF-16 with
embedded null bytes, the internal encoding of Microsoft’s software. Which
cannot work, given the world’s Usenet software as it exists today. Your
other message mentioned GB2312--if you can confirm that this is the encoding
being used, I can realistically help you, if not, I can’t.

--

@ 2005-07-13 10:11         ` Steven Woody
From: Steven Woody @ 2005-07-13 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net> writes:

> If it’s “not encoding” the subject line, then it’s sending it as UTF-16 with
> embedded null bytes, the internal encoding of Microsoft’s software. Which
> cannot work, given the world’s Usenet software as it exists today. Your
> other message mentioned GB2312--if you can confirm that this is the encoding
> being used, I can realistically help you, if not, I can’t.

confirm: my message is GB2312, in Subject and body. only the subject line has
problem.  about MS Outlook Express, i got no more info since i got no Windows
box, but i heard that it has a option letting one set if or not using header
encoding.

does these info enough? thanks!

-
narke