* gnus-search since: not working for nnimap
@ 2023-01-28 12:22 Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2023-01-28 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I've gnus-search configured to use gnus-search-imap for a nnimap
method. G G (gnus-group-read-ephemeral-search-group) doesn't return any
result when using a query like "since:1y" on a nnimap group whereas:

+ the same query works in a nnml group
+ a query like "from:user" returns many results in this time range on
  the same nnimap group.

Isn't "since:1y" a valid query for nnimap ?

The nnimap group is managed by a local dovecot server. Does it matter ?

--
Julien Cubizolles

* Re: gnus-search since: not working for nnimap
@ 2023-01-29 17:33 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2023-01-29 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

>> You can play with the bits and pieces to see where things might be going
>> wrong:
>>
>> (gnus-search-query-parse-date "1y") -> (28 1 2022)
>> (gnus-search-parse-query "since:1y") - > ((since 28 1 2022))
>>
>> So far so good.
>>
>> (gnus-search-transform
>>  (make-instance 'gnus-search-imap)
>>  (gnus-search-parse-query "since:1y")) -> "SINCE 28-Jan-2022"
>>
>> Still looking correct (right?).
>
> Everything is fine up until this point.
>
>> Try doing "C-u G G" on an nnimap group to shut off gnus-search parsing,
>> and enter "SINCE 28-Jan-2022" as the search string. Does that return
>> anything?
>
> Sill nothing:
>
> Group nnselect:nnselect-87cz6x1zv6.fsf contains no messages

We'll have to get closer to the IMAP server, then. If you don't have TLS
enabled on your local dovecot you can probably log in and test with:

telnet localhost 143

Then:

a login <username> <password>
b select "INBOX"
c UID SEARCH SINCE 28-Jan-2022

To confirm that messages are found.

Then it's a matter of seeing that same conversation between Gnus and
Dovecot, to find where things are going wrong. You can set
`nnimap-record-commands' to t, then conduct a search, and also find
which of your " *nnimap localhost nil *nntpd**-373470" buffers
corresponds to this server. That should allow you to reconstruct the
conversation.

Another option would be to edebug the `gnus-search-imap-search-command'
function, and see what we're getting back from Dovecot.

Hopefully something in there will be revealing.