* G g and delete mails with Emacs
@ 2022-05-07  0:48 Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-05-07  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

since threads are not a super reliable way to find all messages related
to a discussion, I decided to try to delete related messages in my
INBOX (consulted via imap) like the following:

I use G g to create a search group, open it, process mark the messages I
want to archive, and use b to move the messages to my local archive
folder.

But after that procedure, those messages are still available in my INBOX
(and displayed prefixed with "O").

Is there a way to vary this procedure so that those messages on the imap
server are deleted?

TIA,

Michael.

* Re: G g and delete mails with Emacs
@ 2022-05-09 17:00 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-05-09 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

> Hello,
>
> since threads are not a super reliable way to find all messages related
> to a discussion, I decided to try to delete related messages in my
> INBOX (consulted via imap) like the following:
>
> I use G g to create a search group, open it, process mark the messages I
> want to archive, and use b to move the messages to my local archive
> folder.
>
> But after that procedure, those messages are still available in my INBOX
> (and displayed prefixed with "O").
>
> Is there a way to vary this procedure so that those messages on the imap
> server are deleted?

I'm not the one to make this decision, but this sounds like it might be
potentially surprising behavior to users, maybe something that should be
behind a user option similar to `nnselect-allow-ephemeral-expiry'.

* Re: G g and delete mails with Emacs
@ 2022-05-10  4:05   ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-05-10  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> > I use G g to create a search group, open it, process mark the messages I
> > want to archive, and use b to move the messages to my local archive
> > folder.
> >
> > But after that procedure, those messages are still available in my INBOX
> > (and displayed prefixed with "O").
>
> I'm not the one to make this decision, but this sounds like it might be
> potentially surprising behavior to users, maybe something that should be
> behind a user option similar to `nnselect-allow-ephemeral-expiry'.

Somebody here who wants to decide?  Or say something about the idea?

Thanks,

@ 2022-05-10  4:57     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-05-10  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english; +Cc: Andrew Cohen

>> > I use G g to create a search group, open it, process mark the messages I
>> > want to archive, and use b to move the messages to my local archive
>> > folder.
>> >
>> > But after that procedure, those messages are still available in my INBOX
>> > (and displayed prefixed with "O").
>>
>> I'm not the one to make this decision, but this sounds like it might be
>> potentially surprising behavior to users, maybe something that should be
>> behind a user option similar to `nnselect-allow-ephemeral-expiry'.
>
> Somebody here who wants to decide?  Or say something about the idea?

I expect Andy Cohen would be the one to ask about this. I've cc'd him,
he might not be looking at this list.

* Re: G g and delete mails with Emacs
@ 2022-05-12  2:36 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-05-12  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Hello,
>
> since threads are not a super reliable way to find all messages related
> to a discussion, I decided to try to delete related messages in my
> INBOX (consulted via imap) like the following:
>
> I use G g to create a search group, open it, process mark the messages I
> want to archive, and use b to move the messages to my local archive
> folder.

BTW, it would be cool if one could somehow visit (request plus
optionally process mark) search results in the searched group itself.

Seems this is not possible out of the box.  I see we have "warping", but
AFAIU it's only implemented for individual articles.

Or can that maybe be achieved in some other way?

Michael.

* Fetching articles by id (was: G g and delete mails with Emacs)
@ 2022-05-12  5:08   ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-05-12  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Seems this is not possible out of the box.  I see we have "warping", but
> AFAIU it's only implemented for individual articles.

How can I fetch articles with known id to be included in an existing
Summary buffer?  `gnus-summary-refer-article' works but also selects an
displays the article.  It doesn't seem to be based on something that
doesn't select and display, though.

TIA,

Michael.

* Re: Fetching articles by id
@ 2022-05-13  4:29     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-05-13  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> How can I fetch articles with known id to be included in an existing
> Summary buffer?  `gnus-summary-refer-article' works but also selects an
> displays the article.  It doesn't seem to be based on something that
> doesn't select and display, though.

I do it like this for now (modulo copy-paste-errors):

(1) Get processed marked articles in search group:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq articles
      (mapcar #'nnselect-article-number
              gnus-newsgroup-processable))
#+end_src

(2) Add those to the summary buffer of the searched group after opening
it:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(let (current (or (gnus-summary-article-number) gnus-newsgroup-end))
  (mapc (lambda (h)
          (let ((article-number (mail-header-number h)))
            (gnus-summary-goto-subject article-number 'force)))
        (gnus-fetch-headers articles))
  ;; Repair thread display
  (gnus-summary-prepare)
  (gnus-summary-goto-subject current)
  (gnus-summary-position-point)
  (mapc #'gnus-summary-set-process-mark articles))
#+end_src

[ I don't eval that by hand every time of course.  I use hacked
registers to save those process marked ARTICLES in a register, and jump
to that register to insert and process mark the ARTICLES later. ]

Michael.