* Re: Expirable mark preserved
       [not found] <mailman.7.1444139966.916.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2016-02-07  5:09 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3889.1454845189.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-07  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Włodarczak; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Marcin Włodarczak <marcin@wlodarczak.org> writes:

> In another attempt to move over to Gnus, I have been trying to figure
> out a thing I have stubled over previously. So I have auto-expiry turn
> on in my inbox and when I open an email, it is correctly marked as
> expirable. However, when I then move a message to another mailbox with
> auto-expiry turned off, the expirable mark is still there even though
> `gnus-mark-copied-or-moved-articles-as-expirable' is set to nil. Do I
> unerstand it correctly that in that case the E flat should be dropped
> when copying/moving?

No, that variable only controls what happens when you move articles to
groups that are total-expirable: Then they will be marked as expirable
there even if they aren't originally.

You have to remove the mark explicitly from the article before moving if
you don't want it to remain expirable.

I think.

* Re: Expirable mark preserved
@ 2016-02-07 10:56   ` Marcin Włodarczak
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3889.1454845189.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Marcin Włodarczak @ 2016-02-07 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On 02/07/2016 06:09 AM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Marcin Włodarczak <marcin@wlodarczak.org> writes:
>
>> In another attempt to move over to Gnus, I have been trying to figure
>> out a thing I have stubled over previously. So I have auto-expiry turn
>> on in my inbox and when I open an email, it is correctly marked as
>> expirable. However, when I then move a message to another mailbox with
>> auto-expiry turned off, the expirable mark is still there even though
>> `gnus-mark-copied-or-moved-articles-as-expirable' is set to nil. Do I
>> unerstand it correctly that in that case the E flat should be dropped
>> when copying/moving?
>
> No, that variable only controls what happens when you move articles to
> groups that are total-expirable: Then they will be marked as expirable
> there even if they aren't originally.

I see. But then the documentation of this variable is rather confusing,
especially the part which says:

If nil, the expirable marks will be unchanged except that the marks
will be removed when copying or moving articles to a group that has
not turned auto-expire on.

> You have to remove the mark explicitly from the article before moving if
> you don't want it to remain expirable.

OK but that's probably something that could be done in the
gnus-summary-article-move-hook, right?

Cheers,
Marcin

@ 2016-02-08  4:46     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-08  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Włodarczak; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Marcin Włodarczak <marcin@wlodarczak.org> writes:

> I see. But then the documentation of this variable is rather confusing,
> especially the part which says:
>
> If nil, the expirable marks will be unchanged except that the marks
> will be removed when copying or moving articles to a group that has
> not turned auto-expire on.

Sorry, I misread your message -- I thought you had the variable switched
on...

This is the code:

		(when (and expirable
			   gnus-mark-copied-or-moved-articles-as-expirable
			   (not (memq 'expire to-marks)))
		  ;; Mark this article as expirable.
		  (push 'expire to-marks)
		  (when (equal to-group gnus-newsgroup-name)
		    (push to-article gnus-newsgroup-expirable))
		  ;; Copy the expirable mark to other group.
		  (gnus-add-marked-articles
		   to-group 'expire (list to-article) info))

So it looks like it really shouldn't be copying over the expirable
marks...  Hm...

* Expirable mark preserved
@ 2015-10-06 12:13 Marcin Włodarczak
From: Marcin Włodarczak @ 2015-10-06 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi!

I have originally posted this to emacs-help but I have been adviced to
try here instead.

In another attempt to move over to Gnus, I have been trying to figure
out a thing I have stubled over previously. So I have auto-expiry turn
on in my inbox and when I open an email, it is correctly marked as
expirable. However, when I then move a message to another mailbox with
auto-expiry turned off, the expirable mark is still there even though
`gnus-mark-copied-or-moved-articles-as-expirable' is set to nil. Do I
unerstand it correctly that in that case the E flat should be dropped
when copying/moving?

All this is happening with Gnus 5.13 and local dovecot synced with
mbsync.

Best wishes,
Marcin

* Expirable mark preserved