* Re: total count after expiring emails
       [not found] <mailman.5477.1343120285.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2012-07-24 14:01 ` Lowell Gilbert
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5507.1343153472.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2012-07-24 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:

> i have 92000+ emails and i expired more than half.
> then i did B C-M-e to get rid of the expired emails.
>
> i think that maildir folder is a lot smaller so presumably the expired
> emails have been removed.
>
> however, when i C-u RET i still get the 92000+ number i used to.
>
> i've restarted both gnus and dovecot.
>
> how do i get gnus to report on the correct number of emails i have in my
> inbox?

You're looking for the 'z' group command, I believe
(`gnus-server-compact-server'). See the manual nodes for
"Group Line Specification" and "Server Commands".

* Re: total count after expiring emails
@ 2012-07-24 18:09   ` prad
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5507.1343153472.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: prad @ 2012-07-24 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Lowell Gilbert <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> writes:

> prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:
>
>> i have 92000+ emails and i expired more than half.
>> then i did B C-M-e to get rid of the expired emails.
>>
>> i think that maildir folder is a lot smaller so presumably the expired
>> emails have been removed.
>>
>> however, when i C-u RET i still get the 92000+ number i used to.
>>
>> i've restarted both gnus and dovecot.
>>
>> how do i get gnus to report on the correct number of emails i have in my
>> inbox?
>
> You're looking for the 'z' group command, I believe
> (`gnus-server-compact-server'). See the manual nodes for
> "Group Line Specification" and "Server Commands".

that's what i would have thought too, but when i do
gnus-server-compact-server
i get told that there is no server.

i also tried
gnus-group-compact-group (G z)
and the message says the backend doesn't support this operation. i think
it's implemented for nnml and i'm using nnimap.

i was of the opinion that dovecot kept track of the count and gnus got
its info from there, but i don't know.

i'm using maildir, so can i switch from nnimap to nnml? not sure that's
possible or even a good idea since i read that nnml isn't compatible
with "any other known format. It should be used with some caution."

--
in friendship,
prad

@ 2012-07-24 18:14     ` Lowell Gilbert
       [not found]       ` <mailman.5510.1343155727.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2012-07-24 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:

> Lowell Gilbert <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> writes:
>
>> prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:
>>
>>> i have 92000+ emails and i expired more than half.
>>> then i did B C-M-e to get rid of the expired emails.
>>>
>>> i think that maildir folder is a lot smaller so presumably the expired
>>> emails have been removed.
>>>
>>> however, when i C-u RET i still get the 92000+ number i used to.
>>>
>>> i've restarted both gnus and dovecot.
>>>
>>> how do i get gnus to report on the correct number of emails i have in my
>>> inbox?
>>
>> You're looking for the 'z' group command, I believe
>> (`gnus-server-compact-server'). See the manual nodes for
>> "Group Line Specification" and "Server Commands".
>>
> that's what i would have thought too, but when i do
> gnus-server-compact-server
> i get told that there is no server.
>
> i also tried
> gnus-group-compact-group (G z)
> and the message says the backend doesn't support this operation. i think
> it's implemented for nnml and i'm using nnimap.
>
> i was of the opinion that dovecot kept track of the count and gnus got
> its info from there, but i don't know.
>
> i'm using maildir, so can i switch from nnimap to nnml? not sure that's
> possible or even a good idea since i read that nnml isn't compatible
> with "any other known format. It should be used with some caution."

Oh, right, I forgot you were doing maildir.

One thing you can do is move all of the remaining e-mails into the group
they're already in.

* Re: total count after expiring emails
@ 2012-07-24 18:48       ` prad
       [not found]       ` <mailman.5510.1343155727.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: prad @ 2012-07-24 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Lowell Gilbert <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> writes:

> One thing you can do is move all of the remaining e-mails into the group
> they're already in.

that sounds like a neat idea!

i just tried it for a single article, but before i take the big plunge
let me be sure i know what i'm doing.

first go into my INBOX.
then select the all articles and do a mark region M P r
then do operation on marked articles M-& B m into my INBOX

that's the way to do it?

--
in friendship,
prad

* Re: total count after expiring emails
@ 2012-07-24 18:53         ` prad
From: prad @ 2012-07-24 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:

> Lowell Gilbert <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> writes:
>
>> One thing you can do is move all of the remaining e-mails into the group
>> they're already in.
>>
> that sounds like a neat idea!
>
> i just tried it for a single article, but before i take the big plunge
> let me be sure i know what i'm doing.
>
> first go into my INBOX.
> then select the all articles and do a mark region M P r
> then do operation on marked articles M-& B m into my INBOX
>
> that's the way to do it?

the only problem seems to be that the count keeps increasing as i move
the articles in to INBOX.

so possibly what i should be doing is

1. moving things into a temporary group
2. emptying my existing INBOX
3. moving everything from the temporary group back into the INBOX

or is there a better way?

--
in friendship,
prad

@ 2012-07-24 20:07         ` Lowell Gilbert
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2012-07-24 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:

> Lowell Gilbert <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> writes:
>
>> One thing you can do is move all of the remaining e-mails into the group
>> they're already in.
>>
> that sounds like a neat idea!
>
> i just tried it for a single article, but before i take the big plunge
> let me be sure i know what i'm doing.
>
> first go into my INBOX.
> then select the all articles and do a mark region M P r
> then do operation on marked articles M-& B m into my INBOX
>
> that's the way to do it?

It worked for me, but on nnml.

* Re: total count after expiring emails
@ 2012-07-27  6:21           ` prad
From: prad @ 2012-07-27  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Lowell Gilbert <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> writes:

> It worked for me, but on nnml.

i've been playing with it for the past couple of days and have at least
found a way to get the correct number of emails with nnmaildir, though
the method isn't too efficient.

what i can do is
rm .newsrc.eld (though they tell you not to)
rm all the dovecot files
rm -r News

then
rmdir new
mv cur new
mkdir cur

when i launch gnus (it's like an initialization), imap rewrites the
dovecot files as it moves new/* cur/ as i look into my INBOX (or ask it
to mark all read).

something close to correct shows up.

the only other way i can see how to find out how many emails i actually
have is to
ls cur | wc -l
which involves considerably less effort. :D

thx for your ideas lowell!

--
in friendship,
prad