* Re: Keeping copies of posted articles
       [not found] <juj6gt$4jg$1@dough.gmane.org>
@ 2012-07-23 10:05 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-07-23 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gary <listgj-gnus@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

Hi Gary,

> Is there any way to configure gnus to save atricles I send?

Yes.  Have a look at the docs.

,----[ (info "(gnus)Archived Messages") ]
| Gnus provides a few different methods for storing the mail and news you
| send.  The default method is to use the "archive virtual server" to
| store the messages.
`----

Another related topic is the `gcc-self' group parameter.  I use it in
such a way that in all my IMAP mail groups (except for mailing list
groups), mails I write automatically end up in the group I wrote from.
For mailing list groups, I've set gcc-self to something like
"nnimap+Account:Sent", so that my mails are stored in that account's
sent mail folder.

,----[ (info "(gnus)Group Parameters") ]
| `gcc-self'
|      If `(gcc-self . t)' is present in the group parameter list, newly
|      composed messages will be `Gcc''d to the current group.  If
|      `(gcc-self . none)' is present, no `Gcc:' header will be
|      generated, if `(gcc-self . "string")' is present, this string will
|      be inserted literally as a `gcc' header.  This parameter takes
|      precedence over any default `Gcc' rules as described later (*note
|      Archived Messages::), with the exception for messages to resend.
|
|      *Caveat*: Adding `(gcc-self . t)' to the parameter list of `nntp'
|      groups (or the like) isn't valid.  An `nntp' server doesn't accept
|      articles.
`----

HTH,
Tassilo

@ 2012-07-23  9:57 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2012-07-23  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 11:46:05 +0200, Gary wrote:

> Is there any way to configure gnus to save atricles I send? Sometimes
> they just vanish into the ether, never to be seen again, and having to
> type everything out again is just a PITA.

Take a look at "Archived Messages" in the manual:

 * http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_153.html

I archive my outgoing emails/articles in nnml groups, one per year,
using this in my .gnus:

  ;  Archive outgoing articles:
  (setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnml "archive"
                                           (nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive")
                                           (nnml-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
                                           (nnml-get-new-mail nil)
                                           (nnml-inhibit-expiry t)))

  (setq gnus-message-archive-group
        '((if (message-news-p)
              (concat "news-" (format-time-string "%Y"))
            (concat "mail-" (format-time-string "%Y")))))

Season to taste.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "You know, if the sun was an oboe, what would you do?"       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk