* EasyPG versus Mailcrypt in Emacs 23
@ 2011-01-18 12:23 Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2011-01-18 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi list,

I recently switched to Emacs 23 and I had planned to get rid of Mailcrypt in
favour of EasyPG, which is now included.

However, I forgot that I have the following lines in my .gnus:

 (add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook 'mc-install-read-mode)
 (add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'mc-install-write-mode)

Just wondering if anyone has written (or is working on) EasyPG equivalents for
these two functions?  If not, I might have a closer look at them myself.

Thanks,

Seb
--
Emacs' AlsaPlayer - Music Without Jolts
Lightweight, full-featured and mindful of your idyllic happiness.

* Re: EasyPG versus Mailcrypt in Emacs 23
@ 2011-01-20  1:05 ` Philipp Haselwarter
From: Philipp Haselwarter @ 2011-01-20  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

What are they good for?

--
Philipp Haselwarter

* Re: EasyPG versus Mailcrypt in Emacs 23
@ 2011-01-21 18:10   ` Sebastian Tennant
       [not found]     ` <mailman.8.1295640708.28040.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2011-01-21 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Quoth Philipp Haselwarter <philipp.haselwarter@gmx.de>:
> What are they good for?

Encrypting/decrypting email message bodies for a recipient's/your eyes only (if
I remember correctly).

Seb
--

@ 2011-01-21 20:11     ` Philipp Haselwarter
       [not found]     ` <mailman.8.1295640708.28040.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Philipp Haselwarter @ 2011-01-21 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I fear I still don't get your question, but that might be due to the
fact that I've never used mailcrypt.
All I do when I want to read an encrypted mail is select it in the
summary. Then I usually get prompted if I want to decrypt the PGP part
and enter my passphrase.
For sending encrypted mail I use "C-c RET C-e" to run
`mml-secure-message-sign-encrypt'.

--
Philipp Haselwarter

@ 2011-01-22  7:19       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-01-22  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Philipp Haselwarter <philipp.haselwarter@gmx.de> writes:

> I fear I still don't get your question, but that might be due to the
> fact that I've never used mailcrypt.
> All I do when I want to read an encrypted mail is select it in the
> summary. Then I usually get prompted if I want to decrypt the PGP part
> and enter my passphrase.
> For sending encrypted mail I use "C-c RET C-e" to run
> `mml-secure-message-sign-encrypt'.

Always an interesting  subject, but please dont snip all relevant
content in your reply - it can then be hard to keep context.

My understanding is that mailcrypt (the first system I used courtesy of
the Emacs wiki a while back) is pretty much defunct and unsupported and
epg is the way to go.

* Re: EasyPG versus Mailcrypt in Emacs 23
@ 2011-01-22  9:50         ` Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2011-01-22  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Quoth Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com>:
> Philipp Haselwarter <philipp.haselwarter@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> I fear I still don't get your question, but that might be due to the
>> fact that I've never used mailcrypt.
>> All I do when I want to read an encrypted mail is select it in the
>> summary. Then I usually get prompted if I want to decrypt the PGP part
>> and enter my passphrase.
>> For sending encrypted mail I use "C-c RET C-e" to run
>> `mml-secure-message-sign-encrypt'.
>
> Always an interesting  subject, but please dont snip all relevant
> content in your reply - it can then be hard to keep context.
>
> My understanding is that mailcrypt (the first system I used courtesy of
> the Emacs wiki a while back) is pretty much defunct and unsupported and
> epg is the way to go.

I thought so.  Thanks to both respondents.

Seb
--

@ 2011-01-24 18:19   ` Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2011-01-24 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Quoth Philipp Haselwarter <philipp.haselwarter@gmx.de>:
> What are they good for?

Actually, I've just realised that they do a bit more:

---%<------%<------%<------%<------%<------%<------%<------%<---
 (mc-write-mode &optional ARG)

 Minor mode for interfacing with cryptographic functions.

 C-c / e		Encrypt (and optionally sign) message
 C-c / s		Clearsign message
 C-c / x		Extract public key from keyring and insert into message
 C-c / k		Fetch a PGP key via finger or HTTP
 C-c / r		Encrypt message for remailing
 C-c / p		Insert a pseudonym (for remailing)
 C-c / b		Insert a response block (for remailing)
 C-c / f		Forget passphrase(s)

 (mc-read-mode &optional ARG)

 Minor mode for interfacing with cryptographic functions.

 C-c / d		Decrypt an encrypted message
 C-c / v		Verify signature on a clearsigned message
 C-c / a		Add public key(s) to keyring
 C-c / k		Fetch a PGP key via finger or HTTP
 C-c / f		Forget passphrase(s)

I hardly ever use them.

Do they offer more than epg?

Seb