* Gnus sending speed?
@ 2010-05-06 18:03 Ross A. Laird
From: Ross A. Laird @ 2010-05-06 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

This has probably been asked and answered many times, but I was not able
to find anything immediately relevant by searching. Here's my challenge:
Gnus opens a STARTTLS connection and sends mails without difficulty, but
each instance of sending takes about 20 or 30 seconds. That's a while to
wait, when in a given email session I might send 20 emails (so, as much
as 10 minutes of waiting overall!).

Some of this delay may be due to my remote IMAP server, which is a bit
slow (I think that Thunderbird hides this slowness by closing the send
window before the mail is fully sent; whereas Gnus just waits). I use a
remote sending server, and a local Dovecot server for downloading mail
with offlineimap, but I don't use the local server for sending -- I've
been told that it's problematic to do so.

I assume that sending through Dovecot would be much faster -- but is
that not going to create problems with online mail services? And, if I
am stuck with the remote IMAP server for sending, is there any way to
speed up Gnus so that it releases the sent mail buffer sooner, or keeps
the IMAP connection open ... or something?

Ross

--
Ross A. Laird, PhD
www.rosslaird.com

* Re: Gnus sending speed?
@ 2010-05-07 13:10     ` Nigel Beck
From: Nigel Beck @ 2010-05-07 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I had this problem when I was gcc'ing sent mail to a very large folder
and marking it read.  I had something like 10000 items in the "sent
items" folder, and outbound send was taking forever.

My solution in this case was to rename the sent items archive folder and
create a new smaller one.  Then sending was fast again...

If you have gnus-message-archive-group set to a large folder and
gnus-gcc-mark-as-read set to T, this may also be your issue

--
Nigel Beck
http://www.nigelbeck.com

* Re: Gnus sending speed?
@ 2010-05-07  4:15   ` Ross A. Laird
From: Ross A. Laird @ 2010-05-07  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

       [not found] <mailman.7.1273169049.25493.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2010-05-06 21:00 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2010-05-06 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Thu, 06 May 2010 11:03:36 -0700, Ross wrote:

> Some of this delay may be due to my remote IMAP server

How do you send email via IMAP? Usually you send email via SMTP.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "How did someone as misanthropic as me end up in this        Adam Sjøgren
  business anyway? What the hell am I doing here?"       asjo@koldfront.dk