* Replying without In-Reply-To/References
@ 2009-06-10 15:24 Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2009-06-10 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Is it possible to reply to a message with quoting the content but
without actually having In-Reply-To nor References header in the new
message? Sometimes it's useful to quote someone's message but start a
completely new thread (i.e., no In-Reply-To/References headers).

I tried to manually delete In-Reply-To header from the message-composing
buffer but it was added anyway to the message when it was sent.

* rmail-default-dont-reply-to-names vs. this particular group
@ 2009-06-11  2:57 ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2009-06-11  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tlikonen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Man Oh Man it took me a long time to figure out why
  S W runs the command gnus-summary-wide-reply-with-original
was only making the first of my desired
  To: tlikonen@iki.fi
  Cc: info-gnus-english@gnu.org
as I replied to his message, here reading via

The answer lied buried in
  rmail-default-dont-reply-to-names is a variable defined in `C source code'.
  Its value is "\\`info-"

I set it to nil and all is now peachy.

* Re: Replying without In-Reply-To/References
@ 2009-06-22 16:09         ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2009-06-22 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Let's quote my original message properly here:

On 2009-06-22 11:28 (-0400), John A Pershing Jr wrote:

> Ummm... Why would you want to do this in the first place? To make it
> hard for other people to follow the thread?
>
> Those header fields are there for a (very good) reason!

I'm not criticizing the purpose of those headers nor making it
deliberately hard to follow discussions. The point of my question is
that sometimes a message has some minor side notes which don't belong to
the context of the thread at all. A person may raise completely new
discussion from such side note, and if it's completely off-topic it may
actually be easier for everyone if the discussion is split (perhaps
quoting a little). Sometimes changing the "Subject" header is better
choice, sometimes maybe not.

It's very rare that I do this and I can't remember when was the last
time. But it would be nice to know how to do this with Gnus anyway. Not
a big thing, though. It's always easy to start a new thread and perhaps
write a note like "<Person> made an interesting side note in <thread>
and I'd like to discuss..."

* Re: Replying without In-Reply-To/References
@ 2009-06-22 15:28       ` John A Pershing Jr
From: John A Pershing Jr @ 2009-06-22 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:

> On 2009-06-11 22:08 (-0800), Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
>
>> Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:
>>> Is it possible to reply to a message with quoting the content but
>>> without actually having In-Reply-To nor References header in the new
>>> message?

Ummm...  Why would you want to do this in the first place?  To make it
hard for other people to follow the thread?

Those header fields are there for a (very good) reason!

  -jp

* Re: Replying without In-Reply-To/References
@ 2009-06-20  7:09     ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2009-06-20  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 2009-06-11 22:08 (-0800), Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

> Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:
>> Is it possible to reply to a message with quoting the content but
>> without actually having In-Reply-To nor References header in the new
>> message?

>> I tried to manually delete In-Reply-To header from the
>> message-composing buffer but it was added anyway to the message when
>> it was sent.

> Try an empty header rather than just deleting it entirely:

> That will prevent adding a new one.

Thanks. Having an empty In-Reply-To prevents adding a new one but empty
References doesn't. Gnus adds References header anyway.

* Re: Replying without In-Reply-To/References
       [not found] ` <mailman.412.1244686854.2239.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2009-06-12  6:08   ` Floyd L. Davidson
From: Floyd L. Davidson @ 2009-06-12  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
>TL> Is it possible to reply to a message with quoting the content but
>TL> without actually having In-Reply-To nor References header in the new
>TL> message?
>In http://jidanni.org/comp/configuration/.gnus.el , for emacs23 I
>am forced to redefine the whole message-shorten-references just to
>instead leave just one <reference>. You could make it 0.
>TL> I tried to manually delete In-Reply-To header from the
>TL> message-composing buffer but it was added anyway to the message when
>TL> it was sent.
>Maybe emacs 23 is less nanny-like.

Try an empty header rather than just deleting it entirely:

That will prevent adding a new one.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)              floyd@apaflo.com

* Re: Replying without In-Reply-To/References
       [not found] <87d49bv8up.fsf@totally-fudged-out-message-id>
@ 2009-06-11  2:20 ` jidanni
       [not found] ` <mailman.412.1244686854.2239.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: jidanni @ 2009-06-11  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)