* jed -> gnus newbie
@ 2006-05-04  1:17 notbob
From: notbob @ 2006-05-04  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've got gnus running, have my nntp server variable set, but still
can't post.  When trying to post to a test ng, I get an error msg:

Denied posting -- the From looks strange: "notbob@xxxx"

.....xxxx being my Slack box'es host name.  OK, I'll change it to
whatever.com, but where do I set the "from" header variable?  Also,
what about the other header settings like "name" (nick),
"organization", etc.  I've been run ragged looking for info in my
Learning Gnu Emacs (O'Reilly, 2nd ed) and emacs and gnus online
manuals.  But, info on these settings and others like my pop3 and smtp
server settings are still unfound by me.  My.gnus.org talks about M-x
customize (ret) mail (ret) as being the way to do it.  I'm running
emacs-21.3-no-x11 on a Slack 10.1 Konsole and these commands do
nothing, me getting no mini-buffer prompt after "customize (ret)" and
no "mail" category in the customization or lower buffers.  Usually, I
can work this stuff out, but now I'm feelin' dumber'n a bag o' hammers
and my eyeballs are down to their last good nerve.  Can anyone help?

TIA

nb

* Re: jed -> gnus newbie
@ 2006-05-04  5:28 ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2006-05-04  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

notbob <notbob@nothome.com> writes:

> I've got gnus running, have my nntp server variable set, but still
> can't post.  When trying to post to a test ng, I get an error msg:
>
> Denied posting -- the From looks strange: "notbob@xxxx"
>
> .....xxxx being my Slack box'es host name.  OK, I'll change it to
> whatever.com, but where do I set the "from" header variable?  Also,
> what about the other header settings like "name" (nick),
> "organization", etc.

Well you can use

(setq user-full-name "NOT BOB")
(setq user-mail-address "notbob@myplace.org")

BUT if you use posting styles you can do that and more and when you are
ready do it on a per-group basis.  Here are a few (munged) blocks from my
posting-styles section. (See section 5.5 of the Gnus manual)

(setq gnus-posting-styles
	'((".*"                                 ; 1st block - defaults
          (signature-file "~/.sigs/usual")
          (From   "Glyn Millington <glyn@urglewyrgle.org>")
           (Reply-to   "glyn@urglewyrgle.org")
          (body "\n\nGlyn")
;          ;;;;;	   ;; line above puts my name above sig.
            (organization "Central Church, Torquay, U.K."))

;;; for usenet cover up a little - just a little.
(message-news-p     ; ie if this is usenet
           (From   "Glyn Millington <urglewurgle@urglewurgle.org>")
           (Reply-to   "urglewurgle@urglewurgle.org")
           (organization "Utterly lacking")
          (body "\n\nGlyn"))

         ("FRIENDS"
	  ("X-Discordian-Date" (shell-command-to-string "ddate")))

         ("^alt.os.linux.slackware"
         ("X-Discordian-Date" (shell-command-to-string "ddate"))
		(signature-file "~/.sigs/slack")
         ("X-Now-Playing" (gm-now-playing)))

	 ("SLACKLIST"
          (signature-file "~/.sigs/slack"))

))

^^  notice those two beauties

> I've been run ragged looking for info in my Learning Gnu Emacs
> (O'Reilly, 2nd ed) and emacs and gnus online manuals.  But, info on
> these settings and others like my pop3 and smtp server settings are
> still unfound by me.

http://my.gnus.org/tutorial/Mail.html#Mail

section 7.2

personally I use good old fetchmail to download the mail  and dump it in
/var/spool/mail/glyn

then gnus takes over, sorting the mail, dumping the dross  :-)

for outbound mail I have postfix running and Gnus finds the sendmail
command and does the business without further instruction from me - but
section 7.2 tells about the other way...

Good luck

Glyn

* Re: jed -> gnus newbie
@ 2006-05-04  7:23   ` notbob
From: notbob @ 2006-05-04  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Glyn Millington <wistanswick@linuxmail.org> writes:

> Well you can use
>
> (setq user-full-name "NOT BOB")
> (setq user-mail-address "notbob@myplace.org")

Holy freakin' crap! ...thanks, Glyn.  Gawd, I thought I was never
going to find those variables ...well, actually I still haven't, but I
know what to look for now and it seems to work.  I posted to a test
ng ok.

> BUT if you use posting styles you can do that and more and when you are
> ready do it on a per-group basis.  Here are a few (munged) blocks from my
> posting-styles section. (See section 5.5 of the Gnus manual)

Thanks, I'll use these, too.

> http://my.gnus.org/tutorial/Mail.html#Mail
>
> section 7.2

Again, thanks.  Sometimes emacs documentation is so vast and emacs so
complex, one gets completely lost in it.

> personally I use good old fetchmail to download the mail  and dump it in
> /var/spool/mail/glyn

OK, I've set fetchmail up before when I used pine.

> Good luck

I'll need it.  No, jes kidding ...I'm doing ok.  I've finally reached
the point where I no longer need to use other apps while just
diddling around in emacs.  I can stay in emacs for many of the things
I do.  But, I still have lots to learn.

Again, thank you
nb

* Re: jed -> gnus newbie
@ 2006-05-04  7:38     ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2006-05-04  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

notbob <notbob@nothome.com> writes:

> Glyn Millington <wistanswick@linuxmail.org> writes:
>

>> Well you can use
>>
>> (setq user-full-name "NOT BOB")
>> (setq user-mail-address "notbob@myplace.org")
>
> Holy freakin' crap! ...thanks, Glyn.  Gawd, I thought I was never
> going to find those variables ...well, actually I still haven't, but I
> know what to look for now and it seems to work.  I posted to a test
> ng ok.

Works here too - bravo!

> Again, thanks.  Sometimes emacs documentation is so vast and emacs so
> complex, one gets completely lost in it.

It's a whole new world!

The Emacs Wiki is a _very_ useful site:-

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki

And for all those lovely packages which ensure that you will _never_ have
to leave Emacs ever again ............

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/sje30/emacs/ell.html

> I'll need it.  No, jes kidding ...I'm doing ok.  I've finally reached
> the point where I no longer need to use other apps while just
> diddling around in emacs.  I can stay in emacs for many of the things
> I do.

That's the spirit :-)

atb

Glyn

* Re: jed -> gnus newbie
@ 2006-05-04  9:08       ` notbob
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: notbob @ 2006-05-04  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Glyn Millington <wistanswick@linuxmail.org> writes:

> Works here too - bravo!

I getting more comfortable w/ gnus, but there's still some confusing
issues.

1. How are the bizarre letter combinations for some functions
keyed?  IOW, for gnus-article-treat-overstrike, the gnus manual shows
the letter combo 'W v'.  I know this is for washing verbose, but I can
only do it using the menu.  There are others like G P a, H v, J M-#,
etc.  How are these keyed?

2. Note my 'Sender:' header.  Where is emacs getting that variable?
   How can I change/disable it?

3. Is it possible to logon to my NNTP server with ssh?  Howzabout with
   xemacs?

> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki

That reminds me.  What's the command to go to a URL? ...and where do I
set a browser?

> And for all those lovely packages which ensure that you will _never_ have
> to leave Emacs ever again ............

How to change to root from user so I can do a quickie sysadmin.  Or,
must I start emacs from root?

Keep checking back.  I gotta million of 'em!  ;)

nb

* Re: jed -> gnus newbie
@ 2006-05-04  9:11         ` notbob
From: notbob @ 2006-05-04  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

notbob <notbob@nothome.com> writes:

> 1. How are the bizarre letter combinations for some functions
> keyed?  IOW, for gnus-article-treat-overstrike, the gnus manual shows

Oops!

s/gnus-article-treat-overstrike/gnus-summary-verbose-headers/

nb

* Re: jed -> gnus newbie
@ 2006-05-04  9:19         ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2006-05-04  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

notbob <notbob@nothome.com> writes:

> I getting more comfortable w/ gnus, but there's still some confusing
> issues.

Same here :-)

> 1. How are the bizarre letter combinations for some functions
> keyed?  IOW, for gnus-article-treat-overstrike, the gnus manual shows
> the letter combo 'W v'.  I know this is for washing verbose, but I can
> only do it using the menu.  There are others like G P a, H v, J M-#,
> etc.  How are these keyed?

IIUC separate keys are keyd separately, hyphenated keys are keyed
simultaeneously

W W h

C-c C-c

yes?

> 2. Note my 'Sender:' header.  Where is emacs getting that variable?
>    How can I change/disable it?

(defun system-name () "nowhere.org")

> 3. Is it possible to logon to my NNTP server with ssh?  Howzabout with
>    xemacs?

I believe so, but have never tried it! Have a look at section 6.1.3 of
the manual.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/BrowsingUrlsInGnusArticle

> How to change to root from user so I can do a quickie sysadmin.  Or,
> must I start emacs from root?

Now for that you need Tramp

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/TrampMode

hth

Glyn

* Re: jed -> gnus newbie
@ 2006-05-04 10:05         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-05-04 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

notbob <notbob@nothome.com> writes:

Hi,

> 3. Is it possible to logon to my NNTP server with ssh?  Howzabout with
>    xemacs?

You can connect to your nntp server with ssl or tls.

,----[ (info "(gnus)Direct Functions") ]

`----

>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki
>
> That reminds me.  What's the command to go to a URL? ...and where do I
> set a browser?

Normally RET on a URL should go to that url with the browser you defined
in the variable

,----[ C-h v browse-url-browser-function RET ]
| browse-url-browser-function is a variable defined in `browse-url.el'.
| Its value is browse-url-generic
|
| Documentation:
| *Function to display the current buffer in a WWW browser.  This is
| used by the `browse-url-at-point', `browse-url-at-mouse', and
| `browse-url-of-file' commands.
|
| If the value is not a function it should be a list of pairs (REGEXP
| . FUNCTION).  In this case the function called will be the one
| associated with the first REGEXP which matches the current URL.  The
| function is passed the URL and any other args of `browse-url'.  The
| last regexp should probably be "." to specify a default browser.
`----

There are several browse-url-* functions for different browsers.

>> And for all those lovely packages which ensure that you will _never_
>> have to leave Emacs ever again ............
>
> How to change to root from user so I can do a quickie sysadmin.  Or,
> must I start emacs from root?

You can do that with TRAMP. Normally you simply open the file like this:

`C-x C-f /su:root@localhost:/path/to/file'

HTH,
Tassilo
--
A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five!

* Re: jed -> gnus newbie
@ 2006-05-04 12:52           ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-05-04 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 04 2006, Glyn Millington wrote:

> notbob <notbob@nothome.com> writes:
>> 1. How are the bizarre letter combinations for some functions
>> keyed?  IOW, for gnus-article-treat-overstrike, the gnus manual shows
>> the letter combo 'W v'.  I know this is for washing verbose, but I can
>> only do it using the menu.

Works for me.

,----[ `C-h k <f1> t' ]

`----

,----[ (info "(gnus)Emacs for Heathens") ]
| 10.8 Emacs for Heathens
| =======================
|
| Believe it or not, but some people who use Gnus haven't really used
| Emacs much before they embarked on their journey on the Gnus Love Boat.
| If you are one of those unfortunates whom "`C-M-a'", "kill the region",
| and "set `gnus-flargblossen' to an alist where the key is a regexp that
| is used for matching on the group name" are magical phrases with little
| or no meaning, then this appendix is for you.  If you are already
| familiar with Emacs, just ignore this and go fondle your cat instead.
`----

HTH

>> 2. Note my 'Sender:' header.  Where is emacs getting that variable?
>>    How can I change/disable it?

FAQ (see <http://my.gnus.org/FAQ> if you don't have Gnus 5.10 or
later):

,----[ (info "(gnus)[5.10]") ]
| Question 5.10
|
| How to tell Gnus not to generate a sender header?
`----

Gnus 5.10 doesn't create it anymore:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Oort Gnus") ]
|    * Gnus no longer generate the Sender: header automatically.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,