* Newsgroup with large article numbers
@ 2006-02-27  3:27 Bob Babcock
From: Bob Babcock @ 2006-02-27  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gnus doesn't seem to like article numbers greater than hex 7ffffff
(134,217,727 decimal).  This is 4 bits sooner than I would expect it to
break, but I see references to emacs using 28-bit integers so it must be
using the last few bits for something else.  I wouldn't normally use gnus
for newsgroups with this many messages, but when I did try it, gnus thought
there were no new messages.  Is there a workaround?

I see this behavior with:
gnus 5.9.0, emacs 21.3.1, Win/2K
gnus 5.8.8, emacs 20.7.1, RedHat Linux 7.1 (x86)

* Re: Newsgroup with large article numbers
@ 2006-04-16 17:03 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2006-04-16 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bob Babcock <wssddc@nospam.gis.net> writes:

> Gnus doesn't seem to like article numbers greater than hex 7ffffff
> (134,217,727 decimal).  This is 4 bits sooner than I would expect it to
> break, but I see references to emacs using 28-bit integers so it must be
> using the last few bits for something else.  I wouldn't normally use gnus
> for newsgroups with this many messages, but when I did try it, gnus thought
> there were no new messages.  Is there a workaround?

Nope.  But with Emacs 22, you can read twice as many articles before
Emacs keels over.

* Re: Newsgroup with large article numbers
@ 2006-04-17  4:49   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-04-17  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Gnus doesn't seem to like article numbers greater than hex 7ffffff
>> (134,217,727 decimal).  This is 4 bits sooner than I would expect it to
>> break, but I see references to emacs using 28-bit integers so it must be
>> using the last few bits for something else.  I wouldn't normally use gnus
>> for newsgroups with this many messages, but when I did try it, gnus thought
>> there were no new messages.  Is there a workaround?
> Nope.

Of course there is: use a 64bit system.

        Stefan