* How to setup gnus email if you use gnus for usenet already.
@ 2005-08-09 11:45 Don Saklad
From: Don Saklad @ 2005-08-09 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do you set up a gnus email dotfile if you use gnus for usenet
already?... for people with very very minimal expertise to no
expertise regarding dotfiles, lisp, programming or have
dyslexic, ADHD, short attention symptoms?...

Around the web the information for setting up gnus email dotfiles
is for people with the greater expertise.

* Re: How to setup gnus email if you use gnus for usenet already.
@ 2005-08-09 19:00 ` Adam Sjøgren
  2005-08-09 21:26   ` How to setup gnus email if you use gnus for usenet already, have minimal to no expertise or dyslexic ADHD short attention symptoms dsaklad@gnu.org
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2005-08-09 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 11:45:56 GMT, Don wrote:

> How do you set up a gnus email dotfile if you use gnus for usenet
> already?... for people with very very minimal expertise to no
> expertise regarding dotfiles, lisp, programming or have
> dyslexic, ADHD, short attention symptoms?...

The answer to your question depends on wherefrom said email is to be
fetched.

The minimal example of a .gnus for this purpose is this:

 ; Gnus for email, basic setup:

 ;  Change (nnnil "") to (nntp "your.news.server") if you want to read
 ;  news as well:
 (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))

 ;  Get email from the local machine:
 (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))

Email will be put in the group called nnml:mail.misc, to which the
user should subscribe.

This assumes that the email one wants to read is present at the
computer on which Gnus is run.

If that is not the case, Gnus must be told where to get the email and
by what means. Please note that this is not specific to Gnus but a
general trait of all email-programmes.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Halleluja og hurlumhej"                                     Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: How to setup gnus email if you use gnus for usenet already, have minimal to no expertise or dyslexic ADHD short attention symptoms.
@ 2005-08-09 21:26   ` dsaklad@gnu.org
From: dsaklad@gnu.org @ 2005-08-09 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

.
          Thank you Adam Sjo/gren !

          Regrettably that beautiful simplifed instructive
          bit is still above the level of instruction I need
          for people having minimal to no expertise or

@ 2005-08-09 21:53     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2005-08-09 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9 Aug 2005 14:26:39 -0700, dsaklad@gnu.org wrote:

>           Regrettably that beautiful simplifed instructive
>           bit is still above the level of instruction I need
>           for people having minimal to no expertise or
>           dyslexic ADHD short attention symptoms.

For those I see two options: 1) Get someone to help with the
configuration of Gnus, or: 2) Use another email-programme that is
directed specifically towards that audience.

  Best wishes,

    Adam

--
 "Kom låna törnekronan min                                    Adam Sjøgren
  Lid för konsten eller brinn"                           asjo@koldfront.dk

@ 2005-08-09 22:19       ` dsaklad@gnu.org
From: dsaklad@gnu.org @ 2005-08-09 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

          The idea of the technology is to make it
          available widely rather than limit its availability.

          It would be great if someone figured out a way
          for users, potential users to setup gnus more
          easily.

@ 2005-08-09 22:34         ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2005-08-09 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9 Aug 2005 15:19:42 -0700, dsaklad@gnu.org wrote:

>           The idea of the technology is to make it
>           available widely rather than limit its availability.

I don't know if that inherently is the idea of technology, but I agree
that it is an admirable goal.

Often it is wise to choose a tool taking into account both the job at
hand _and_ the person that will be doing the job.

Some tools are better suited for some people and vice-versa.

>           It would be great if someone figured out a way
>           for users, potential users to setup gnus more
>           easily.

Indeed.

As you know, Gnus is free, so anyone is welcome to implement such
features.

In my minimal configuration example earlier, you saw what is 'as
simple as it gets', these days.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Actually I counted 37 installs/reformats, but I did         Adam Sjøgren
  it. I installed gentoo succesfully with the help of    asjo@koldfront.dk

@ 2005-08-09 12:32 ` Matthew King
From: Matthew King @ 2005-08-09 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

"dsaklad@gnu.org" <dsaklad@zurich.csail.mit.edu> writes:

> How do you set up a gnus email dotfile if you use gnus for usenet
> already?... for people with very very minimal expertise to no
> expertise regarding dotfiles, lisp, programming or have
> dyslexic, ADHD, short attention symptoms?...

I am discovering for myself that the answer seems to start "Get a longer
attention span".

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child," for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely

@ 2005-08-09 12:03 dsaklad@gnu.org