* Re: HOWTO for Supercite?
       [not found] <878ysypuzz.fsf@verizon.net>
@ 2003-05-23  7:41 ` Adam Sjøgren
       [not found]   ` <87r86p4fk6.fsf@virgil.koldfront.dk>
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2003-05-23  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 22 May 2003 20:49:20 GMT, David Steuber wrote:

> I would like to setup Supercite to improve quoting of messages I am
> responding too (like excess line lengths and a couple spaces of
> indentation) without chopping URLs.  I know I need to put something
> in my .emacs file (which now has all of ilisp.emacs pasted in, lol).

I'm using this, to get - well, er - this above kind of quoting.

(The sc-header-on-author-wrote fun is not by me, I think I picked it
up in this newsgroup aeons ago...)

If I remember correctly it still has problems with non-7-bit chars in
peoples names, but I tend to forget about that as soon as I see it,
and never get around to try to find a remedy.

 ; SuperCite:
 (defun sc-header-on-author-wrote ()
   "\"On <date>, <author> wrote:\" unless:
 1. the \"author\" field cannot be found, in which case nothing is inserted;
 2. the \"date\" field is missing in which case only the from part is printed."
   (let ((sc-mumble "")
         (whofrom (sc-whofrom)))
     (if whofrom
         (insert sc-reference-tag-string
                 (sc-hdr "On " (sc-mail-field "date") ", ")
                 (sc-hdr "" (sc-mail-field "sc-author") " ")
                 "wrote:\n"))))

 (load-library "supercite")
 (add-hook 'mail-citation-hook 'sc-cite-original)
 (setq message-cite-function 'sc-cite-original)
 (setq news-reply-header-hook nil)
 ; Use the usual ">" citing:
 (setq sc-citation-leader "")
 (setq sc-nested-citation-p t)
 ; No >>>>>>> thingie:
 (setq sc-reference-tag-string "")
 ; "On bla, bla wrote:":
 (setq sc-rewrite-header-list
       '((sc-header-on-author-wrote)))
 (setq sc-preferred-header-style 0)
 ; Don't ask me!
 (setq sc-confirm-always-p nil)
 ; Do not fill automatically:
 (setq sc-auto-fill-region-p nil)

(Some of it may be unneccesary cruft from olden days :-))

The (setq sc-auto-fill-region-p nil) may not be what you want.

I think I tried trivial-cite once, but something made me go back to
SuperCite. I just can't remember what... (not of much use to know, I
know).

  Best regards,

--
 "Från och med nu, så är 'så snart                            Adam Sjøgren
  som möjligt' 53 timmar!"                               asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: HOWTO for Supercite?
       [not found]   ` <87r86p4fk6.fsf@virgil.koldfront.dk>
@ 2003-05-23 21:38     ` David Steuber
       [not found]       ` <874r3lcnjy.fsf@virgil.koldfront.dk>
From: David Steuber @ 2003-05-23 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

spamtrap@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

> If I change the defconst line directly in mail-extr.el, it works - but
> that's not so nice, as it won't work the next time mail-extr.el gets
> overwritten by my distribution.

1: Love that domain name, Adam.

2: To me, elisp is not so much a foriegn language as a bunch of pulses
from a far off star where they expect me to somehow figure out that
there is a PAL video transmission burried in an upper harmonic.
However, I expect that once a defconst, always a defconst.  I'm not
sure how you would beat the loading of the appropriate file to the
definition.  elisp doesn't seem to have namespaces.

3: There is no three.

Thanks, guys.

--
(describe 'describe)

* Re: HOWTO for Supercite?
       [not found]         ` <877k8gkog9.fsf@verizon.net>
@ 2003-05-25 11:19           ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2003-05-25 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 24 May 2003 21:46:30 GMT, David Steuber wrote:

>> Thanks. Any special reason?

> Nerd humor.  I just can't imagine a gentle tropical breeze in
> Denmark.

Oh, dear.

A "koldfront" is a very common phenomenon in Denmark.

It's simply a metereological term, describing where areas of
(relative) cold and (relative) warm air meet - a "koldfront" is the
situation where the cold air is pushing away the warm air.

The opposite then is a "varmfront", where the warm air is pushing the
cold air away.

(I chose the name because I though it would be funny when the
secretary[1] in my megacorp.[2] answered the phone, shouting "KOLD
FRONT!" (in the tone of voice a fanatic might should 'Red Front', at
some point in time)).

>> The intent is that programs do not change this value, but users
>> may.

[...]

> Hmm.  Doesn't a constant variable sound a bit, well, contradictory?

Indeed.

On the other hand, it would be very handy for me to be able to do so,
so I guess I chose to read the documentation the way that suited what
I wanted to do.

Given your voice of reason, I'm convinced that the documenter meant
"but the users may change the value in the source." Which is exactly
what I don't want to do.

[...]

> Most people I know use Vi or similar editor.  There was one person I
> knew who used emacs as his shell.  I think he was insane.

What's insane about using the shell in emacs? Don't you use the games
and the psychologist in emacs?

Most people I know use emacs. I told them to.

 :-),

  Adam

[1] No, I don't have a secretary.
[2] Haven't materialized either. Not working on it.

P.S. Veering off-topic here, better put a lid on it.