* Is gnus-demon-scan-news supposed to scan nnselect search groups?
@ 2023-02-13 11:46 Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2023-02-13 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I noticed that the permanent search groups I've created don't get
rescanned by (gnus-demon-scan-news), I need to run
(gnus-summary-rescan-group) in its summary to get the new search
results. Is there a way to trigger a rescan of all nnselect groups when
the contents of the groups searched has changed ?

The search query for this group is:
from:somename since:1w

--
Julien Cubizolles

* Re: Is gnus-demon-scan-news supposed to scan nnselect search groups?
@ 2023-02-13 16:19 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2023-02-13 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> I noticed that the permanent search groups I've created don't get
> rescanned by (gnus-demon-scan-news), I need to run
> (gnus-summary-rescan-group) in its summary to get the new search
> results. Is there a way to trigger a rescan of all nnselect groups when
> the contents of the groups searched has changed ?

The Select Groups section of the manual has information on this:

   Refreshing the selection of an nnselect group by running the
‘nnselect-function’ may take a long time to complete.  Consequently
nnselect groups are not refreshed by default when
‘gnus-group-get-new-news’ is invoked.  In those cases where running the
function is not too time-consuming, a non-‘nil’ group parameter of
‘nnselect-rescan’ will allow automatic refreshing.  A refresh can always
be invoked manually through ‘gnus-group-get-new-news-this-group’.

* Re: Is gnus-demon-scan-news supposed to scan nnselect search groups?
@ 2023-02-13 17:30   ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2023-02-13 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> In those cases where running the function is not too time-consuming, a
> non-‘nil’ group parameter of ‘nnselect-rescan’ will allow automatic
> refreshing.  A refresh can always be invoked manually through
> ‘gnus-group-get-new-news-this-group’.

Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I needed.
--
Julien Cubizolles