* Is INBOX special in a Maildir?
@ 2015-11-10 18:09 Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2015-11-10 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I'm using OfflineIMAP to sync a remote IMAP account to a local Maildir,
and dovecot to access it from Gnus using a nnimap method, like many
do. The Maildir uses the fs layout (/ for separators) and has folders like:

INBOX
INBOX/cur
INBOX/new
INBOX/tmp

General
General/cur
General/new
General/tmp

but also like:

cur
new
tmp

The General folder can be accessed but Gnus always report no messages in
the group it calls INBOX, even though the folder named INBOX contains
some messages

I suspect it has to do with Gnus being confused about what INBOX really
is: either the root of the Maildir, or the folder actually named
INBOX. Do I need to change something in my offlineimap setup, or in
Gnus' ?

Julien.

* Re: Is INBOX special in a Maildir?
@ 2015-11-10 23:38 ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2015-11-10 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> I suspect it has to do with Gnus being confused about what INBOX really
> is: either the root of the Maildir, or the folder actually named
> INBOX. Do I need to change something in my offlineimap setup, or in
> Gnus' ?

I finally got it right. In case someone stumbles on the same problem:

I was using

type = Maildir
localfolders = ~/email/Maildir/Free

in the local repository setting of .offlineimaprc

and

(nnimap-shell-program "/usr/lib/dovecot/imap -o mail_location=maildir:$HOME/email/Maildir/Gmail:LAYOUT=fs")

so I guess that offlineimap was writing the INBOX messages in an actual
INBOX folder, whereas dovecot was expecting them at the root of the
Maildir.

Changing the .offlineimaprc setting to:

type = IMAP
preauthtunnel = /usr/lib/dovecot/imap -o mail_location=maildir:$HOME/email/Maildir/Free:LAYOUT=fs

fixed it. Now only dovecot is writing messages in the Maildir, at least
that's my understanding.

Julien.